Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

And What About This Old Photo

Here's a rotogravure to test yourselves on. Identify the forwardmost aeroplane, the squadron it belongs to, and the WWI ace seen seated to the right in the picture. First one with the correct answers to all three gets to pull up that empty chair and discuss Life, the Universe, and Everything with this fine group of gentlemen.

name_the_plane_01.jpg

Cheers!

Lou

Looks like a Spad......

I don't have my WWI books with me.......

Hint: look at the uniforms...:wink:

Capitano Bartolomeo Constantini of the 91 Squadriglia ?

Sandbagger got it.... at first glance I thought it was the famous Ferrari horse which is a different story.

Beard

Edited by Burning Beard

Actually, sandbagger only has part of it BB. Doctor Quest has another bit as well. But no one has put togther the entire correct answer...yet.

Capitano Francesco Baracca, 91a Squadriglia, SPAD XIII

SPAD VII

91a Squadriglia

Francesco Baracca

Damn you Olham.............

Well, you had the craft type right - later on his SPAD XIII, his emblem was the rising black stallion,

that we know from the Ferrari sign.

The black stallion is on the other side of the fuselage of the SPAD; the griffon we can see is the insigna of 91° squadriglia and is present on the right side of all the fighters of this unit. The black horse (Cavallino Rampante) has been a gift from the mother of the Italian ace (contessa Paolina) to the new emergent star of car race Enzo Ferrari (and friend of conte Enrico Baracca , father of Francesco) in 1923.

nbryant, pull up that empty chair Sir, you are spot on with all three. ErikGen, very good added info Sir, well done. Olham so close Sir, so close.

Good info, EricGen - would be great to have the Italian-Austrian theater in OFF, too, eyh?

Olham, i agree with you ... a lovely place filled with Aviatik and SVA. :grin:

...and the Macchi sea planes! Imagine to have one of these!

And the map is already there in CFS3, unlike the Russian Front, so it should be quite possible to add the new front with new nationalities and squadrons to OFF at some point. Like I've said a million times, it would be something that no other WW1 flight sim has ever had, as far as I know. While the armies of Italy and Austria-Hungary that fought there during the war mostly weren't really good and suffered from a steadily deteriorating morale caused by the endless bloody battles in the most difficult terrain imaginable (high mountains etc.) and were lead by many thoroughly incompetent generals (even by WW1 standards), the air war was quite active and saw the use of many interesting aircraft, many of which were never seen on the Western Front. And there were many great aces on the Italian Front, too. A truly underrepresented theatre of war in any flight sim, if there ever was one! I'd be spending a lot of time there flying the Hanriots and OEFFAG Albs!

I too am in total agreement about incorporating the WWI Italian and Russian fronts. It would be very neat to have all those new planes and new battlegrounds to fly above, not to mention all the additional bling.

Italy's Ordine Militare di Savoia, Medaglia al Valore Militare, and Croce di Guerra

Russia's numerous Orders of St. Anne, St. Stanislas, St. George, and St. Vladimir

Romania's Order of Michael the Brave

And, IMHO, one of the most beautiful medals presented by any nation in WWI, Serbia's Order of the White Eagle

post-45680-085356800%201278782284.jpg

Very nice.