Sign in to follow this  
Arrow

Looking for Advice - WOI or SF2 Israel?

I curently own SF Gold, WoV and WoE and I'm looking to buy 2 copies of either WoI or SF2 Israel for my son and I. First off I should probably state that I've read MigBuster's "Whats new in the SF2 Series" thread.

So I feel fairly comfortable with what the differences between the 2 versions are. However, having only ever run games based on the SF1 engine, I'm unsure how well SF2 Israel will run on both our gaming rigs - particularily my 4 year old rig. My son's gaming PC is only 18 months old so I'm fairly confident about it. I haven't recorded my exact WoV and WoE settings, but I know with my older system I'm not able to run all graphic settings on high and a few are set to medium &/or less than the max distances. All sound settings are maxed. Here's the specs for the 2 systems.

My System (the very-long-in-the-tooth one) :)

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Hard Drive: 250 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT w/256 MB

Sound Card: SB Audigy 2

My Son's System

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 2.6 GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Hard Drive: 512 GB

Video Card: ASUS (ATI) EAH4670 w/1GB

Sound Card: Integrated VT1708S High Definition Audio 8-Channel CODEC

Whatever version we decide on, it's important we get the same as we hope to fly some co-op missions. If anyone could give me some feedback as to whether both of these gaming rigs would be capable of running SF2 Israel with acceptable performance, it'd be greatly appreciated. As well, any feedback as to whether it's worth our while to pay the few extra $ for SF2 Israel over WoI, would also be welcome.

NOTE: acceptable performance to me would be an average of about 35 FPS.

The SF2 series doesn't do multiplayer, so if you are looking at co-op missions, you will need WoI. My understanding is that the SF2 series (including SF2:I) is strictly single player.

Which is true.

If you are both running XP I'd go with WOI - especially as the expansion pack is also available for it.

Wow, I would have never thought multiplayer wasn't avaialable in a newer version. That wasn't mentioned in MigBuster's thread, but of course that isn't something new, just something that's now missing. Many thanks for the feedback everyone, we'll be going with WoI. :)

Just one last question; are there any issues with running WoI on a dual-core system? I.e. do you have to set the WoI executable's affinity to a single core, or anything like that?

Edited by Arrow

Since the release of the expansion pack for WoI,

the support for Gen 1 Sims (Wox) ends.

Gen2 Sims are the future....

Since the release of the expansion pack for WoI,

the support for Gen 1 Sims (Wox) ends.

Gen2 Sims are the future....

Fair enough, but my purpose on getting the Israel campaign is to fly it co-op with my son. As well, I'm quite content with the state the SF1 series is in after the October 2008 patch. If I need to purchase the SF2 version later, I'm not really bothered by that considering the price. My only real concern is whether the SF1 series will run on a dual core - actually not too much of an issue as I'm aware of the necessary tweaks sometimes required.

It will run fine on a dual core. The game don't support it so it will run at one core only. but you don't have to change anything. just install and play

Wow, I would have never thought multiplayer wasn't avaialable in a newer version. That wasn't mentioned in MigBuster's thread, but of course that isn't something new, just something that's now missing. Many thanks for the feedback everyone, we'll be going with WoI. :)

It is there right at the very bottom under Items in SF1 series removed from SF2

It is there right at the very bottom under Items in SF1 series removed from SF2

Doh...somehow I missed that. :blush: BTW great job on that post.