Sign in to follow this  
Herr Prop-Wasche

Watch this space!

HPW,

Does this include a new Flight Model as well or is that an entirely separate project, sir? I can't wait to get my hands on this version for the campaign DM. I find the fights to be considerably more challenging when used in conjuction with Creaghorns smoke trailers only ammo mod.

My apologies for the delay in getting your video out bud. I've knocked out a few quick video only ones, but yours is going to require full audio and that's pretty much an all day project. Last weekend was a total bust. I'm slated for Sunday to be completely off so hopefully I can finish crafting it then sir.

Hellshade

HPW -S!

I've got the mod, and loaded it using the jsgme thingy -easy as pie!..

I've only used it for one morning on CFS3 QC - which is my preferred method of flying OFF - Not enough time much for campaign sorties.

(BTW -thought I'd try one, which I did,- a scramble - and it worked fine, but then the next sortie ( and all the optional ones, too,) was a round trip of 200 odd miles and my full fuel capacity was 100 -odd miles. Hmm! No wonder i don't do campaign -lol)

Anyway, the planes take a lot more bullets than my DM, which is what we've always known, but what I do like very much is that when the EA is wounded and smoking, you can then leave him and concentrate more on the others, because it seems that the wounded plane will most times get worse- maybe even shed a wing and then dramatically crash.

Also, the only time I induced a fire, it was a small one. But it grew as it would in RL and then crashed. Most realistic!

IIRC, most times in stock this worsening wouldn't happen without more bullets.

I had reservations whether it would work in CFS3 QC, because the first time i tried it, I got a lock up of the Off manager exe-

However, subsequently and ever since, it has worked fine.

Nor has it changed my FMs of the few planes I've altered- DR1 and Alb 200 and pfalz.

You've obviously put a lot of time into this, so well done. A very subtle DM.

cheers

FB

I flew it last night using an N28 and the DM seemed to help in that I didn't manage to rip the wings off in High G maneuvers, but they will rip off when the Archie gets ya. So maybe there is an unforeseen advantage.

Beard

I flew it last night using an N28 and the DM seemed to help in that I didn't manage to rip the wings off in High G maneuvers, but they will rip off when the Archie gets ya. So maybe there is an unforeseen advantage.

Beard

N28? I only see up to N24s listed, even with HitR installed and fully patched. Am I missing something?

Hellshade

I just assumed (I know) it was in, maybe I'm not yankin' and bankin' as much as usual.

Beard

There aren't any FM changes in this mod, unless I did something terribly wrong!

Wings coming off in high g maneuvers is also not a part of this mod, although I wouldn't rule it out if the wing has taken a lot of bullet hits.

All HITR aircraft should be covered in the DM, so N28's should be included. If not, try downloading again.

FB,

Glad you like the mod, so far, although I don't know if I would go so far as to call it "subtle." :grin:

The fire effect you mentioned was unplanned, but perhaps a welcome side-effect of changing some of the threshold values around. For some aircraft, you may see a small or medium fire that will eventually grow into a large fire and explosion. Of course, if you continue to shoot at a burning plane, you can accelerate the process, but why waste the ammo!

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

I was able to finish the video Overview of HPWs Damage Model 2 mod late last night. The wife took the kids out for a few hours and that gave me time to get it all done, including the voice over, without any distractions. I'll post a link to it here as well as in the video sticky section.

Herr Prop-Wasche's Damage Model 2 Overview (2:13) 1080 HD

He has done a really great job and it's definately worth the time to download and install. Well done sir! :drinks:

Hellshade

If anybody is having any doubts about this mod, I can only recommend it wholeheartedly. The installation and uninstallation process with the help of Generic Mod Enabler programme is extremely easy - you don't have to worry about ruining your install with files that might go in the wrong place. I'm definitely no computer guru, and I didn't have any problems with setup. Couldn't be much easier than this.

The new DMs really improve air combat in OFF, making it more fun and challenging. It's especially useful for people who wish for that little bit of extra realism. And if you like to fly two-seaters, you will now be somewhat harder to shoot down. The perfect excuse to start a BE2 career in Bloody April. :cool:

Edited by Hasse Wind

Personally, I'm going to try a Hannover career at the start of Operation Michael in the spring of 1918. I might last for a whole extra mission with the new DM, if I am lucky!

Awesome video, Hellshade! Thanks for posting it in this thread.

One thing: don't get the idea that every plane you shoot at will eventually go down in flames. For one thing, Hellshade is a "hell" of a shot! Also, I worked very hard to make some aircraft harder to go up in flames while others are somewhat more "flammable.' In particular, the Se5a and the Albatros' should now be somewhat harder to light up. Most of the others should be about the same as in stock, but their engines should be a little tougher, at least initially.

Be sure to be careful with aircraft you think you have heavily damaged that have dived away. I did that on a test flight only to have the bugger come back up while I was chasing someone else and shoot up my engine!

Awesome video, Hellshade! Thanks for posting it in this thread.

One thing: don't get the idea that every plane you shoot at will eventually go down in flames. For one thing, Hellshade is a "hell" of a shot! Also, I worked very hard to make some aircraft harder to go up in flames while others are somewhat more "flammable.' In particular, the Se5a and the Albatros' should now be somewhat harder to light up. Most of the others should be about the same as in stock, but their engines should be a little tougher, at least initially.

Be sure to be careful with aircraft you think you have heavily damaged that have dived away. I did that on a test flight only to have the bugger come back up while I was chasing someone else and shoot up my engine!

Indeed. I made sure to put in there some video footage of how much damage both an Alb and some of the 2 seaters can take with exceptionally long bursts that still did not result in a fire. The only reason I put in some quick kill shots was so that folks wouldn't get over confident thinking they were always going to be able to take a lot more damage than they used to before going down (potentially in flames). The fights are definately longer laster and harder usually. But the key word is 'usually'. Don't get too cocky because you can still get flammed in a heartbeat with the right hits!

Great work HPW! :drinks:

Hellshade

Well Herr Prop-Wasche, I'll have to load this latest effort of yours up and give it a try Sir, thanks for putting it togther and sharing it with us all. Looks quite tantalizing. But I'm going to wait until my current campaign has ended before making the change.

Cheers!

Lou

Herr Prop-Wasche

New DM installed!

Your work is much appreciated :good:

Thanks a lot! grin.gif

S!

vonOben

Lou,

Now I don't know whether to root for the early demise of your pilot, or not!

Ah, I guess I shouldn't begrudge him his cyber-life; the grim reaper will have him soon enough, I'm afraid!

Oh Nooooo, Herr Prop-Wasche! If anything say a little cyber-prayer for him. He has a good start and he's my first documented German pilot campaign, and in a 2-seater to boot. Click on the following link and you'll see what I mean:

Paul Blum's Story

Cheers!

Lou

First sortie with your completed FM installed was fine (Albatros D.V), Herr Prop-Wasche!

But all this data stuff is so confusing for me - does it also contain the DM?

First sortie with your completed FM installed was fine (Albatros D.V), Herr Prop-Wasche!

But all this data stuff is so confusing for me - does it also contain the DM?

FM? I would like a modded FM. Where is that file hiding at?

Hellshade

Olham and Hellshade,

The DM is entirely separate from the beta FM that Olham has. Although the DM covers all of the aircraft in HiTR, the FM only covers Albatros' types. Also, only some people are able to get the FM to work with their computer, so I have not released it to the general public.

The FM is contained in a file called AlbsFM.zip, while the DM is in a file called HPWDM2.zip.

A short update on the DM...

I will be releasing an update for the DM in a few days to deal with a problem I have noticed with fuel leaks. The new DM may have resulted in some fuel leaks becoming a bit too common, especially major fuel leaks that result in all of your fuel draining out in 30 seconds or so. I have revised this so that instead of a minor leak followed by a moderate leak, you get two minor leaks instead, followed later by a major leak and an increased chance of fire if the fuel tank is substantially damaged.

I haven't noted any other problems, but if you think you have seen something wrong with the new DM, now is the time to speak up!

BTW just a note with flames in other locations there's a possibility of "flamers" ..worth checking. One of the reasons there aren't more there.

A short update on the DM...

I will be releasing an update for the DM in a few days to deal with a problem I have noticed with fuel leaks. The new DM may have resulted in some fuel leaks becoming a bit too common, especially major fuel leaks that result in all of your fuel draining out in 30 seconds or so. I have revised this so that instead of a minor leak followed by a moderate leak, you get two minor leaks instead, followed later by a major leak and an increased chance of fire if the fuel tank is substantially damaged.

I haven't noted any other problems, but if you think you have seen something wrong with the new DM, now is the time to speak up!

I'm looking forward to it, though I don't think i've noticed anything wrong with it at all. Check out Air Combat Video #23 in the Video sticky section to see how much more challenging I find it to take down aircraft. It seems like I am able to "drive off" more planes than shoot down, which is probably a lot more accurate. With the amount of time it takes to shoot down an aircraft, even a damaged and smoking one, I can't usually stay on it's tail to finish the job due to fears of an opportunistic EA lining up on my 6. It makes finally taking down a plane a lot more satisfying. Great work HPW!

Hellshade

BTW just a note with flames in other locations there's a possibility of "flamers" ..worth checking. One of the reasons there aren't more there.

Pol,

Perhaps something got lost in translation, or maybe I am growing more dense with each passing day, but I can't quite make out what you are saying there, old bean!

To be honest, although I copied and pasted a fire effect line into the fuel tank component to try and add a little more "fuel to the fire," I don't know if I've actually been able to trigger the effect--the aircraft is usually so shot up by that point that it crashes of its own accord before any flames from hits to the fuel tank have had a chance to appear. I've noticed that fire most reliably appears from shooting up the engine, however. Perhaps you are saying that the engine is the only place where you can get the plane to catch on fire, even if you (or I) place a fire "trigger" in some other component?