Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Personalised Skins for non-Skinners by Hobby-Skinners

Feel free to send the Sopwith products my way. I have very nice templates for the Camel, Tripe, Strutter, and Pup.

Cheers!

Lou

Carrick, let me know if this is something like what you had in mind or if there are any other additions or changes. NOTE: Tail number is your OFF join date.

Wow U Guys read Minds. The N-17 is Great. I was thinkin only one line but 3 is great. Thank You . This will add tons of fun to the game P.S. Please add intructions as to how to place in files. This is going to be great. :salute:

carrick3.png

Edited by carrick58

Carrick, here are pics of your new skins - an Albatros D.II and a D.V (uprated).

The skins are sent to you via PM. Hope you enjoy them.

All the best! Olham

Herr Olham, Super ya making me drool looking at the pics. The Crest is that of Hesse the German State in the Republic of Germany,

By way of background Information, I picked up one of their used Police Pistols a while back. It is adorned with that Crest with an X through it showing which department used it operationally. Thanks

Oh yeah, that's a beautiful crest - I'll use it; thanks for it. What is it? Brandenburg?

Widowmaker, that's good news, Sir!

Edited by Olham

This is a great idea and I'd definitely make a wish for a skin, if only OFF allowed me to have both fuel and ammo management and personal skins at the same time. Maybe in P4? :cool:

This might be a tad off topic but I thought this might be a good place to ask. Where would one find layered photoshop templates for skinning in OFF. I don't see any in the download section and I have tried searching but no joy.

Any help would be appreciated. It would save me loads of time creating from scratch. I'm looking for the Sopwith's, Se5a, Nieuport's and spads.

Thanks in advance.

Hellman, I am making all my skins, and the ones I have uploaded, from the basic one-layer skins as they are in OFF.

I have cut out and copied and pasted a helluvalot. And if my skinning mates don't know any secret file folders I haven't

found yet - then they do it the same way.

Only other way: you could order one here.

Hellman, I don't use Photoshop myself, but Paint.NET instead. However, like most of the skinners here and elsewhere, I tend to be rather protective of the hundreds of bits and pieces I've had to create over the course of far too many long nights, from the endless store of available base skins currently found in the sim. I am more than willing to build custom schemes for folks when they ask, (and when time allows), however I wouldn't hand over the keys to the studio, as it were. Hope you understand.

Hellman, I don't use Photoshop myself, but Paint.NET instead. However, like most of the skinners here and elsewhere, I tend to be rather protective of the hundreds of bits and pieces I've had to create over the course of far too many long nights, from the endless store of available base skins currently found in the sim. I am more than willing to build custom schemes for folks when they ask, (and when time allows), however I wouldn't hand over the keys to the studio, as it were. Hope you understand.

I totally understand Louvert as I am a professional graphic designer myself and I have been "ripped" off a few times. I guess I will start from scratch or not bother with it at all and do some skins for RoF as .psd templates are available for that sim and my time is unfortunately limited at the moment. When I did many skins for a MAC based flight-sim way back in the day I gave away my templates and watermarked a logo on it and peops were generally good about keeping it on the skins they made and giving credit as It was a pretty small and tight-knit community.... I guess it's different here.

If I decide to move forward on OFF skinning I was wondering if the resolution is scaleable for the skins as the current RESOLUTION makes it difficult for a lot of detail?

Thanks anyway.

I apologize Hellman. I really had no business speaking for others as concerns this. There are likely a lot of folks who would turn over their own work as you describe. Maybe I'm just being too possesive of my own little efforts in this. I am always willing to lend a hand an/or guidance when I can though. As to the resolution question, maybe some one who uses Photoshop can answer that for you. I've found the stock res to be more than fine for what I am creating in Paint.NET.

I gave away my templates and watermarked a logo on it and peops were generally good about keeping it on the skins they made and giving credit as It was a pretty small and tight-knit community.... I guess it's different here.

Actually I would say this community IS small and tight knit, and I certainly don't think it is populated with folks who don't give others credit for their work. I don't see how the earlier conversation in this thread seemingly lead to the opposite conclusion.

I think templates are a little difficult to approach in this sim in that the models are produced by a number of people and their approach to aircraft vary. There seem to be anomalies in some planes that you don't find in others, and digging your way through them can be difficult. A lot of these anomalies occur in alignment of the faces. On some planes the tops and bottoms are a different size than the sides of the fuselage. These can be overcome, but even after you do it, it would be difficult to explain to anyone else what you actually did. If you are working with a generic paint scheme, a lot of these things will never show up, but if you are trying to align something like stripes from one face to another, or even from the horizontal stabilizer to the elevator you may be in trouble.

I have fooled around with a few skins and have made layer templates (I use Corel Draw for vector work and Corel Photo Paint for weathering and such). However, I haven't been comfortable enough with the results to release them, and yes, you can save them to psd format. I am a sign painter by profession and I tend to be pretty fussy about my graphic output.

Beard

Oh yeah, that's a beautiful crest - I'll use it; thanks for it. What is it? Brandenburg?

Widowmaker, that's good news, Sir!

Right On Brandenburg ! Would luv to find something like that for the Stuttgart Area. I was there in 1971 :grin:

Right On Brandenburg ! Would luv to find something like that for the Stuttgart Area. I was there in 1971 :grin:

Stuttgart was the capital of the Kingdom of Württemberg from 1806 to 1918 (from 1871 part of the German Reich). Below is their historical flag and coat of arms.

500px-Flagge_Knigreich_Wrttembergsvg.png

Wappen_Deutsches_Reich_-_Knigreich_Wrttemberg.jpg

Hellman, as a graphic designer you will find it rather easy to cut out and refine or change parts like hoods or rudders etc.

for using it in layers. But all these skins are OBD stuff. Everyone may work on his own skins to personalise them, but

I wouldn't feel okay, if I sent "my" altered parts around - I would feel like saying "Hey, look, OBD - I can do better"; and I

don't want to bring about such an impression. I think you will understand that.

You will find the community is a very good one here - I would want no other.

By the way: Gous wrote a fine skinning tutorial over in the skinning section of the forum. If you really want to have a go

at this, you will find it easy, and you will want your own works anyway.

Carrick wrote:

Would luv to find something like that for the Stuttgart Area. I was there in 1971.

The crest Hasse Wind has shown is, as noted, for the Kingdom of Württemberg during WWI. If you want a crest specific to the CIty of Stuttgart it would be a variation on something like these:

stuttgart_crests_01.jpg

There are reported numerous types but all feature a black horse, (or horses), on a yellow-gold shield, sometimes adorned with a drape, helmet, etc. And if it looks familiar it's because Porsche incorporated the Stutgartt city crest into their logo when they began building their world famous cars.

Hope this is helpful Carrick.

Oh, and I meant to add: Very nice skins from Olham and nbryant, well done Sirs. Now drag Carrick over to the pub and have him buy you each a pinta' or two. :wink:

Thanks, Lou - but I'd like to put that right once again:

I have only chamged the spinner colours on the D.II, and attached the crest and letters;

plus the white-red stripes on the D.V.

The whole skins are available in OFF already; both are Jasta 16 skins; the D.V was made

by Paarma as far as I know; unfortunately the D.II skin templates don't tell, who did those.

Edited by Olham

Yes, it cannot be reiterated too often that we custom "skinners" are not really skinning at all but rather cutting, pasting, editing, and tweaking the 100's of wonderful skins created from scratch by the super devs of this sim. My recent Alb D.II was a fair amount of work as I not only "painted" the kite but also reworked the upper wing ribs so they align properly with the rear edge scallops, (the base template of which I will glady share with those who wish to have it, I know Olham has already made good use of it). But that was nothing to the amount of work it must have taken to create the D.II skin in the first place. It boggles the mind when you think about the sheer number of skins the OFF team had to build from nada to give us the diversity we take for granted in our virtual WWI world.

OFF_Paul_Blum_AlbDII_03.jpg

I again tip my hat to our devs and wish to give full credit to them for this fantastic sim. We "skinners" are doing nothing more than pasting our own little doodads onto your outstanding efforts.

Salute to you, Gentlemen. :salute:

Lou

I have sent you a PM RAF_Lou... with regards to Sopwith products... I don't care that you are copying and pasting it all looks wonderful and gives a sense of belonging to this wonderful drug called OFF... What you guys do is wonderful... :drinks:

On the matter of skinning resources and in particular creats and badges - if you've not already found this or a similar site there is a wealth of heraldic .GIF files as well as a downloadable shareware pack of same HERE, which you can use to create custom heraldic achievements for use in skins.

Back in my Mechwarrior days I used to provide personalised badges for clan mates by creating their family name coat of arms from clip art such as the above. With what is really a minimum of effort one can produce things like the attached... :grin:

Gilson Achievement.jpg Price Achievement.jpg