Sign in to follow this  
Riley64

War in Korea closer than we thought

I see the chance of Russia involving itself in this beyond a diplomatic level as virtually nil. As said, this isn't 1950. Russia cares about its own borders, they don't care about Kim and his family or Korea anymore. China cares a great deal, as also said, but likewise doesn't want anything beyond an improvement of the status quo.

I see the chance of Russia involving itself in this beyond a diplomatic level as virtually nil. As said, this isn't 1950. Russia cares about its own borders, they don't care about Kim and his family or Korea anymore. China cares a great deal, as also said, but likewise doesn't want anything beyond an improvement of the status quo.

Talking about Kim's family, it's a shame.

The second son is known to be a homosexual so he will never succeed his father's position.

The eldest son was almost assassinated by his youngest brother and Kim arranged him to settle down in Macau of China, living a playboy life with lots of women (working girls) and gambling all day. He spends lots of money, while the people of NKR barely have enough to spend daily!

So the third son is now become the best choice. From the plan of assassination, he is cleverer than he looks.

Fox News it was. The update was more detailed now. They are from the local Korean News. According to the updates, the sequence of events was slightly different than what I got from the beginning. shortly before 1:41 pm local time, 2 F-16 carrying air-2-air missiles arrived at the hot zone. They were supposed to counter 5 MiG-23s sent on earlier with air-2-ground weapons. The MiG were to conduct strike on SKR K-9 self-propelled artillery positions. By that time, both sides were not stopped bombarding, so another 2 flight groups of F-16 and F-15 were sent to reinforce the first group this time, 6 F-16s were carrying Air-2-Ground armament supposed to neutralize NKR coastal artillery. When the package arrived, both side stopped and all flight packages were called off.

Mission coding here -> http://combatace.com...the-yellow-sea/

Edited by Fuza

Fox News is not really a serious source. If the message would came from CNN or Sky it would be different.

The said number of MiG's is what makes me doubt. 5 is not a size of fighter units. 2 okay, 4 okay, 6 okay, but 5? That would mean that one pilot would act as "lone ranger". Maybe that such things happend during Vietnam War, but not today.

And by the way a short mesage from Reuters, which is backing the north korean version, that the south shot first.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTOE6AM05P20101123

The SK made a firing drill, the NK felt threatend and shot sharp on SK military.

Edited by Gepard

Using the term shot first like this sounds rather sketchy.

If my neighbor would shoot to clean the barrel of his rifle on his one property, should I fire 80 RPG-7 rockets on his house? I don't think so.

You could fire the RPGs but apologize later.

And by the way a short mesage from Reuters, which is backing the north korean version, that the south shot first.

http://www.reuters.c...E6AM05P20101123

The SK made a firing drill, the NK felt threatend and shot sharp on SK military.

backup smackup. NK knew the ROK arty was there, if they have anything other than offensive posture at the border they would have radar to track incoming rounds so that they could conduct counterbattery fire. that radar would show that the ROK rounds were going out to sea where they wouldnt actually hit anything but water. NKs arty could hit the rough location of the ROK arty because .... they have been there for years and Nk had the coordinates dialed in already. it's like one of my kids punching the other because the puncher was poked at.

NK just wants attn and is going about it in a dangerous way. if anyone doubts that get some history lessons from the guys in the OFF forum!

Perhaps they sent out 5 because that´s what they could get airborne. Or maybe 5 where picked up in radar, and there were another undetected or some false echoes

you guys are funny the way you put it, the RPG fired at our neighbour!:grin:

any improvement you suggest me about my video? I lack a Korean terrain.....:dntknw:

backup smackup. NK knew the ROK arty was there, if they have anything other than offensive posture at the border they would have radar to track incoming rounds so that they could conduct counterbattery fire. that radar would show that the ROK rounds were going out to sea where they wouldnt actually hit anything but water.

True, if they would have firefinder radar. I'm not sure that NK has this level of technology. They will have optical instruments. But with spyglasses you only see that there is someone shooting, but not the direction of fire, not at a distance of 13 km.

That they have no fire finder radar show the result of NK ari fire. More than 200 shells, but only 80 hit the opposing island. Thats not impressive.

Lets make a mind experiment. Lets say, you are the NK commander. You are under permanent propaganda, that the SK are the bad and war mongers. You detect the smoke of enemy artillery. You know if the SK hit a target in NK you will be punished if you not act promptly.

What are you doing?

(This is not written do defend NK. Its written as an attempt to understand whats happen and why, far away from propaganda from NK and SK.)

Edited by Gepard

Lets make a mind experiment. Lets say, you are the NK commander. You are under permanent propaganda, that the SK are the bad and war mongers. You detect the smoke of enemy artillery. You know if the SK hit a target in NK you will be punished if you not act promptly.

What are you doing?

(This is not written do defend NK. Its written as an attempt to understand whats happen and why, far away from propaganda from NK and SK.)

very good point. all of the smart NK officers are either shot or defected:grin: i didnt mean anything personal towards you just havin a bad morning when i posted. remember kids dont post angry!

as to fire direction finders, tech's relatively simple been around since ww2 just the refinements in radar and software that have gone on over the years. of course if you expect to be the first to shoot you prob dont have a real sophisticated set. as to the performance (80/200) again makes a case for a smaller highly trrained force rather than a massive force of conscripts. dont recall hearing about any ROK arty actually getting hit, wonder how many NK howitzers are out of commision. it's good that the aircraft were called back though or wwe would probably be discussing the Second Korean War right now, already in progress.

dont recall hearing about any ROK arty actually getting hit, wonder how many NK howitzers are out of commision.

Depends how the NK are fortified. I think they will follow the proofen way and have their ari in the bunker caves. Rolling out only for firing, then back into safety, reloading and start the same again.

So they are vulnerable only for some seconds. Makes very difficult to hit for SK.

NK did it already in Korea war and the vietnamese Viet Minh fought on this way against the french in Dien Bien Phu.

Depends how the NK are fortified. I think they will follow the proofen way and have their ari in the bunker caves. Rolling out only for firing, then back into safety, reloading and start the same again.

So they are vulnerable only for some seconds. Makes very difficult to hit for SK.

NK did it already in Korea war and the vietnamese Viet Minh fought on this way against the french in Dien Bien Phu.

It could be. While repositioning between arty shots is usually unfit or unppractical for most situations, if qhat you are going to hit is an island and at a very random or undiscriminated way, just a terror attack (by the book), it could be done this way

Perhaps they sent out 5 because that´s what they could get airborne. Or maybe 5 where picked up in radar, and there were another undetected or some false echoes

Perhaps the NK planned to send 12 to 24 planes, but only 5 could take off, as for the others, either the pilots were busy in a session of self-criticism, or the planes were under revision for months as the chief engineers had been denounced and executed, or important spare parts had been sold on the black market.

They could've declared aerodynamics a pseudosience by now... When Soviets were training NK pilots they said, they had to teach feudal peasants how to fly a jet.

Talking about Kim's family, it's a shame.

The second son is known to be a homosexual so he will never succeed his father's position.

The eldest son was almost assassinated by his youngest brother and Kim arranged him to settle down in Macau of China, living a playboy life with lots of women (working girls) and gambling all day. He spends lots of money, while the people of NKR barely have enough to spend daily!

So the third son is now become the best choice. From the plan of assassination, he is cleverer than he looks.

It looks like with the three sons, they all simply inherited one trait their father posesses. That's the shame, we have to settle for a successor enemy that's either gay, a party boy or ruthless and crazy, with the current kim, we've got all three so we're bound to be let down somehow.

what we (the US) needs is a president politically incorrect enough to retaliate by broadcasting Team America World Police throughout NK:rofl:

what we (the US) needs is a president politically incorrect enough to retaliate by broadcasting Team America World Police throughout NK:rofl:

That, is brilliant

You had already had a president who was politically uncorrect enough to send US troops in the Iraq. The result is well known. In contrary to the flat and nearly defenceless Iraq NK is a mountain nightmare with nukes.

Here is brain needed and not stupid muscles. Smart political pressure on Beijing is surely more efficent than sending carrier battle groups in the yellow sea.

Oh its not a matter of being politically correct, we just need a president that has a pair of balls and a backbone. I like the Team America World Police idea, I doubt it would either harm or help the situation, but it would be funny as hell!.

thats the measure of a superpower. we don't have to bomb you, we'll let your people and neighbors see the marionette version of you singing "me so rorney"!

You had already had a president who was politically uncorrect enough to send US troops in the Iraq. The result is well known. In contrary to the flat and nearly defenceless Iraq NK is a mountain nightmare with nukes.

Here is brain needed and not stupid muscles. Smart political pressure on Beijing is surely more efficent than sending carrier battle groups in the yellow sea.

trying to keep this as low key as possible to keep the thread out of the Arena.... we would be hard pressed to put any pressure on china right now given how much of our debt they are holding. i agree that we need to be smart in our handling of the situation. howver it would seem that NK is acting like a child throwing a fit in a store... and for too many years the parents (everyone in the 6 party talks) has givin the child a bit of candy or small toy to keep it quiet. at some point the child needs a spanking to learn to behave proper. but dont ask this americans opinion what needs to be done. given the ROK has lost the most this year they would be the best to ask what next.

oh and braodcastin Team America was intended as a joke. no one in the US government would allow the braodcast for fear of offending asians and even if they did there would probably be better uses for the EC-130's though the whole thing is an amusing thought!:grin:

Edited by daddyairplanes