Sign in to follow this  
GunnySonics

SF2 a time machine?

Okay, like its not obvious that SF2 takes you back in time, but today I manged to take myself back to my childhood using the Libya Terrain released by Wrench:-

Does anyone remember F19 Stealth Fighter by Microprose, for those that dont then read up on it via Google :grin:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-19_Stealth_Fighter

256px-F19stealthfighter_box_front.jpg

Basically F19 puts you in the Gulf of Sidra and other places but for this topic we will stay in the Gulf of Sidra, close to Libya and you have to fly stealth and recon missions over Libya in order to "rank up, win medals" etc, the source of all good flight sims. Anyway, with SF2 and the Libyan terrain and the F19 available on this site I was able to transform myself back to when I was 15 years old bombing Tripoli and Benghazi, with the SF2 Exp pack mission editor I can relive my whole period of missions flown on this great flightsim back in 1988, only with better graphics!!!!!

Basically SF2 can take you just about anywhere we used to fly in older sims, as we all know because we are lucky enough to have such fantastic talented modders, simply they are the "Jedi's" amongst the flight sim development community. For those of us that have been simming for the last few decades it gives is the chance to fly the missions we flew years ago but on better systems and games and under much more improved graphics and AI.

Thank you CombatAce and Thirdwire for letting me fly back in time :salute:

Edited by GunnySonics

This is what happened if you ejected over enemy territory and survived capture:-

F-19%20Stealth%20Fighter_5.png

Does anyone remember F19 Stealth Fighter by Microprose

yes :salute:

what was your favorite theatre Stary? Mine was Libya, although I remember shooting down an Iranian F14 over the straights of Hormuz one time, which was a great tally as I knew they had very few F14's and no spares for them.

As a modder im sure you have already discovered what I have today, i wouldnt be suprised if you havent flown a load of stealth recon missions over the Soviet Union in the F19 already???:yes:

Unfortunately, that one's not hosted online....

damn saw it on sci fi channel last year christmas eve. cool episode

That is why I love the F-19 that was crafted by the talented folks hereabouts.

I actually preferred "Project: Stealth Fighter," which was F-19's predecessor, using the same airframe.

It also had a very cool stealth meter, and I remember long solo missions to Budjevice, which I am sure I spelled incorrectly.

I have flown a fair few campaigns, Operation Bear Hunt, in SF2:E in this excellent aircraft, and flashback 20+ years on many

occasions. Wunnerful stuff!

I rebember playng F-19 hours on end in my Spectrum 128k+2.

sure does brign a lot of memories.

SF 2 really take back yes, i to make look more like watt i remenber chance the F-18 pit for The F-35 pit that look more like the one no my game version.

my favorite mission ws anti-ship and strike i whloud go no deck just a fewe feet from the ground all the way my victims where normal the libyan missile boat and Kiev whit penguins has see my most liked maps were North Cape and Lybia.

Im glad that somenoe else has the same feeling and memories about this brid-

Cocas

I rebember playng F-19 hours on end in my Spectrum 128k+2.

sure does brign a lot of memories.

SF 2 really take back yes, i to make look more like watt i remenber chance the F-18 pit for The F-35 pit that look more like the one no my game version.

my favorite mission ws anti-ship and strike i whloud go no deck just a fewe feet from the ground all the way my victims where normal the libyan missile boat and Kiev whit penguins has see my most liked maps were North Cape and Lybia.

Im glad that somenoe else has the same feeling and memories about this brid-

Cocas

Your comments made me remember the missile boats off the Libya coast, i also liked using penguin missiles on them and then watching out for the intercepting Mig 25 Foxbats that would come after you. Another mission that was really cool was flying over the North Cape to take reconaisance photo's of the submarine base at Murmansk whilst keeping a watchfull eye on the "stealth meter". i remember flying fast and low to avoid the Mig 29's and the IL76 Awacs aircraft, this game was really amazing back in its day.

I too had the ZX Spectrum 128K, to me it was the ultimate gaming PC back in the 80's.

I remember this on a Commodore C64... and my favourite area was North Cape and Central Europe because it was great and you where up against it all the time...

this weekend im going to use my mission editor to create all the Libya and Central Europe missions from F19 Stealth Fighter, I may post some screenshots if anyone is interested. I have just ordered the Hotas joystick and throttle too so that will make my new experience in the F19 completely different to what was like 23 years ago:-

51SCH6D7JFL._SL100_.jpg+ ZX-Spectrum-128k%2B2.jpg + kempston%20joystick.jpg

sf2_box.jpg+ t925-2235-maina.14380721_std.jpg+ thumb2.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.pronto.com%2Fimages%2Fproduction%2Fproducts%2Fe0%2F28%2Fshop4febfb2559146bb39c228ff6a951-1261609687_349x340.jpg&wmax=180&hmax=180&quality=80&bgcol=FFFFFF

North Cape FTW!!

I used to exit and reload missions until I got one attacking a Typhoon or a sub base because I loved those so much! :grin:

The other thing I loved that no modern sims have is the excellent debrief, showing you flying around the map with little pop ups of incidents like getting detected by radar, your firing of weapons, their firing at you, etc. The TW debriefs are that in paper form, but I liked seeing the "Indiana Jones" style line moving around the map!

North Cape FTW!!

I used to exit and reload missions until I got one attacking a Typhoon or a sub base because I loved those so much! :grin:

The other thing I loved that no modern sims have is the excellent debrief, showing you flying around the map with little pop ups of incidents like getting detected by radar, your firing of weapons, their firing at you, etc. The TW debriefs are that in paper form, but I liked seeing the "Indiana Jones" style line moving around the map!

thats a v.valid point, what ever happened to a decent debrief, the opportunity for the brass to blow sunshine up your ass, i cant even get that in real life!!!:rofl:

Anyone remember hitting the sub pens in the North Cape with an FAE? You had to come in low over the water, toss the bomb through the open doors and then climb to avoid the cliffs, which put you on radar, and all hell broke loose!

Edited by allenjb42

i prefered photo recon missions over the North Cape rather than strike missions, i became quite an ace at recon missions, where as my strike missions would often end in failure:-

Post Recon Mission

F-19%20Stealth%20Fighter_4-500x500.jpg

Post Strike Missions

F-19%20Stealth%20Fighter_5.png277976-f19_pc_5_super.gif

I preferred the limited war missions the most. The Cold war ones were also good, but the inability to attack anything but your main target, even fighters trying to shoot you down, was frustrating. The all-out war missions were fun at times, but lacked the tension of the limited war. Sneaking in watching that radar detection bar as you tried to "thread the needle" around ADA was so great.

I liked to sneak in, hit the target, and then when all the radars and fighters came looking for me, I'd use up all the rest of my weapons on anyone in the way!

Another interesting fact--F-19 was the last flight sim made where West and East Germany were CURRENT theaters, not historical. :grin:

Oh, how about flying off a carrier in the F-19? Or getting a gun kill on a MiG 6km away?

BTW, anyone play the sequel, F-117 Stealth Fighter 2.0? Even though it had better graphics (true VGA), the correct plane, and more theaters (like Vietnam), it just never felt as impressive to me as F-19 did.