EricJ

SF2 Series DACT Reports And Related A2A Discussions (Game only)

@Cougar

Interesting DACT that you made there. On paper, the Mirage F1 seems to have the initial advantage in wvr with it's point-ability... until it's rather lackluster targeting systems and relatively poor energy-recovery eats it up...

At least when i fly it, or fly against it. Other people may find it more to their style.

Yup. I wouldn't dare beam a phoenix at high altitude as i tracked one of those missiles flying at above 40K ft.

You got me puzzled as well. I know the Phoenix could be launched in a sort of a "dogfight mode" when fired from closer ranges, when it would go active right of the rail, but it wasn't that often.

The targeting capabvility of the F1 should not be that bad.

Why do you think it is ?

The ability to detect and lock  targets is usulaly determined by by 4 factors. The speed of the antena- the faster the better. The size of the cone being scanned (wider cone/more bars slow down detection time). The intensity of the beam that is returned to the receiver in conjunction with the size of it. The stealthy characteristics of the plane. As this was at very close range (the long range/BVR detection is actually quite good in the F1, better then the F-104 for sure) i would exclude 3 and 4 right away. This leaves us with 1 and 2. I don't know the scanning method used in the boreshight mode of the F1 (or of the other AC in the sim for that matter), but in falcon you have several "patterns". I.E. you have the fixed boresight mode, when the radar antena tries to cover the 20 or so degrees around the forward vector, then you have the slew method, where you manually guide the antena to a desired section of the sky in front of you, then you have the vertical scan, in which the antena scans only 10 degrees in the horizontal plane, but 90 degrees along the lift vector in the vertical and so on..... As you may imagine, different scan patterns give different results, but one thing is the same, the less of teh sky you try to chart and the faster you do it, the more likely to optain a lock on a target that has a relatively high angular motion compared to you. This of course leaves a greater portion of the sky as your blind spot, but you try to outset this by visually pointing your nose where you want it (hence the usual term for these scan patterns as "dogfight mode"). My guess would be, that the F1's radar was optimized more for the BVR engagements then the WVR, so when fighting close, the radar either tries to scan too much of the sky ahead, or moves too slowly (or a combination of both), to get a fast lock. It should be noted that i have expereinced similar issues with other planes when fighting nimble oponents (the most prominent being my engagement in the F-14A VS the Mirage2000), but never to this extent.

P.S. I excluded the possibility of the clutter affecting the lock, as most of my attepts where either in lookup or neutral position.

P.P.S. Does anyone know the dogfighting modes available to the AWG-9?   

@ Do335 - I was blinking my eyes in disbelief as well. What happened was. the 1st Phyton3 shot connected but the superb armor of the Tomcat just brushed it off as a scratch.  :biggrin:  Grumman is well known for pilot protection and fighter durability. Their planes can sustain heavy damage but are still able to come home. I love the fact that the game model was able to replicate it to some degree... or was the AI just lucky?  :biggrin:

mwahaha:D it is good to see that despite tk bumped up player msl effectiveness there're still no damage explosions. what's more interesting is why the 2nd shot missed... but i digress...

P.P.S. Does anyone know the dogfighting modes available to the AWG-9?   

The AWG-9 has several dogfight modes, only one modeled in the TMF (and TW for that matter) F-14, that being Vertical Scan Lockon-High (VSL-Hi).  This causes the AWG-9 to continually sweep a 4.8 degree azimuth beam between 15 and 55 degrees elevation, with a maximum scan range of 5NM.  VSL Low does the same sweep, but from -15 to +25 elevation.  VSL was generally considered the most useful mode in a dogfight.  There's also two others I know of: NFO Rapid Lockon, which allows the RIO to slew the radar in the direction of the target, though under a high-g ACM environment, this wasn't considered a very useful mode, and Pilot Lockon Mode, which is a boresight mode looking for a target directly in front of the F-14.  Just about every F-14 pilot or RIO I've spoken to only ever talks about VSL, so that seems to have been the one used most.

• Like 1

Just did a quick test of the AIM-54 against a close range target.  I remember testing against long range opponents, as well as circumstantial close range ones, but I couldn't remember if you could use Phoenix in PDSTT or VSL.  Turns out you can.  Due to the missile's long Rmin (1.8NM), it isn't advisable (as I outlined in the manual, there is a high chance you'll pull the trigger and the target will go outside of the seeker's visibility), but I just brought up an F-14 against a MiG-23 target (I say target because I just game him guns as the objective was to test the missile).  Using VSL, you can lock up an enemy aircraft, but be very mindful of closure rate.  You'll only have a few seconds to fire the missile before it falls inside of Rmin.  Alternatively, you can use RWS to acquire your target, then lock him with PDSTT and lob a Phoenix at him that way.  In game, the missile will go active almost immediately (it drops from the rails, fires, and after about a half second of flight, you can see it acquire and steer towards its target).  This mirrors the real-world dogfight mode for the AIM-54, and I think it's dictated in part by the missile's seeker range in the data.ini.  Pretty cool.  

The AWG-9 has several dogfight modes, only one modeled in the TMF (and TW for that matter) F-14, that being Vertical Scan Lockon-High (VSL-Hi).  This causes the AWG-9 to continually sweep a 4.8 degree azimuth beam between 15 and 55 degrees elevation, with a maximum scan range of 5NM.  VSL Low does the same sweep, but from -15 to +25 elevation.  VSL was generally considered the most useful mode in a dogfight.  There's also two others I know of: NFO Rapid Lockon, which allows the RIO to slew the radar in the direction of the target, though under a high-g ACM environment, this wasn't considered a very useful mode, and Pilot Lockon Mode, which is a boresight mode looking for a target directly in front of the F-14.  Just about every F-14 pilot or RIO I've spoken to only ever talks about VSL, so that seems to have been the one used most.

I would definitely agree with that. So much, that in fact i have set my default dogfight mode to be the vertical scan and not the boresight scan. I find myself using it at least 90% of the time. No wonder i guess, as in a hard turning fight, you spend most of your time with your vector pointed at the target, not with your nose. It's nice to see RL experience confirms it.

Just did a quick test of the AIM-54 against a close range target.  I remember testing against long range opponents, as well as circumstantial close range ones, but I couldn't remember if you could use Phoenix in PDSTT or VSL.  Turns out you can.  Due to the missile's long Rmin (1.8NM), it isn't advisable (as I outlined in the manual, there is a high chance you'll pull the trigger and the target will go outside of the seeker's visibility), but I just brought up an F-14 against a MiG-23 target (I say target because I just game him guns as the objective was to test the missile).  Using VSL, you can lock up an enemy aircraft, but be very mindful of closure rate.  You'll only have a few seconds to fire the missile before it falls inside of Rmin.  Alternatively, you can use RWS to acquire your target, then lock him with PDSTT and lob a Phoenix at him that way.  In game, the missile will go active almost immediately (it drops from the rails, fires, and after about a half second of flight, you can see it acquire and steer towards its target).  This mirrors the real-world dogfight mode for the AIM-54, and I think it's dictated in part by the missile's seeker range in the data.ini.  Pretty cool.  

That is a neat feauture indeed, i will have to use it at times. I wonder if it would work with the AMRAAM as well, if i recall correctly it should have the same off-the rail active capabilities of the Phoenix.

mwahaha:D it is good to see that despite tk bumped up player msl effectiveness there're still no damage explosions. what's more interesting is why the 2nd shot missed... but i digress...

I think it got fooled by flares but not sure. It was i too far away to know what really happened.

@cougar -  As caesar eplained the phoenix has a dogfight mode. though i try not to use them as much and the AI also seems to reluctant to use them at closer range. I have seen AI tomcats resorting to guns even though they still have a couple of AIM-54s mounted.

Me: F/A-18D (03) with 2 x AIM-9X, 2 x AIM-7, tank, gun

Opposition: F-22A with at least AIM-9X (it tried to shoot me, see below, gun

No video this time (I didn't turn on ShadowPlay) so it'll be strictly screenshots and text.  I had seen the F-22 demonstration at AvNation 2012 and honestly I'll never consider the Raptor a sleek plane (the nose area turns me off, it's just fugly) but the sucka can turn on a dime, and a penny at the same time, it's just that good.  So when I went in my "old school" F/A-18 I decided to see if I can beat it.  I did but at the start I thought it hadn't detected me and well... it had and started to drop flares (immediate action drill as usually Game Logic shoots either gun or IR homers at you) and ended up in an energy circle and I leveled out and tried to go vertical.  By the time I had gained some altitude I was getting the constant radar lock so I dumped (I think) some more flares and threw on the ECM and well... at that range the radar would have burned through but you think of all possibilities anyway.  So when I tried to maneuver to get a shot my 9X was ready and willing so once I got the nose up a bit more my intent was at least (given the closure rate) to throw him off and work onit some more (he simply can outturn me but I could work in another 9X shot or if I was really able to, a 7M shot) but I fired and he fired two seconds later (log attached).  Well he did as he was on the Perch before me and managed to get off a 9X (I did to but mine connected, while his thankfully sailed past) shot but mine connected and I won.

Takeaways:  The Raptor as a whole in real life and in-game, is simply not a joke in most regimes.  It's not invincible but you don't expect to win either in most cases.  Maybe it was skill or just plain luck (he had me dead to rights on his shot, and with the same ordnance...) but again I just simply got lucky with my shot so to reiterate it was simply luck.  It can definitely outmaneuver you without the UFO-like ability as when I finally got my nose on him, he had his on mine already.  But to make sense, you can't expect to fight with anything less maneuverability-wise against the Raptor as you'll need every ounce of maneuverability and power to at least come on top, in some ways.

post-5735-0-28302300-1414961306_thumb.jpg

post-5735-0-55602700-1414961319_thumb.jpg

Eric's engagement reminded me that several months ago I had done a "4th gen vs. 5th gen" shootout and all of the 5th gen fighters were completely benign.  I have been tweaking the F-22 recently, as it has more than double the internal fuel it should, even though the data.ini shows the correct numbers.  Not sure why that is, but I changed it so that the aircraft has roughly 18,000lbs internal, rather than 36,000 to mirror its real world loadout.  It is time for F-14B vs. F-22A Round 2!  This was a gunfight, both aircraft started around 100% fuel, but prior to entering the arena, I burned my jet down to just below 15,000 pounds.  The weight of the F-14B as it entered the engagement area was 59,361lbs, the F-22 was at 56,114, though I have noticed the AI starts at lower weight than the player for some reason.

The F-14 gets tally and pulls into the F-22; the F-22 does the same.  Both aircraft pass each other with about 1500 feet lateral separation, and the F-14 pulls hard into the vertical, maxing out at just above 9.7g.  The objective it to do max instantaneous to get the nose around and threaten the F-22 as fast as possible.  The F-22 pulls into a hard right turn.  At the apex of the loop, the F-14 drops flaps, and is headed towards the F-22's tails, aided by gravity.

img03722_zps75cd1cd4.jpg

img03723_zpsef56f0f6.jpg

img03724_zps75fb0de9.jpg

This is the remainder of the fight.  The F-14 continues down as the F-22 continues a nose-low right-hand turn.  Eventually, the F-14 gets lead and guns the F-22 with a quick burst of 20mm.  Fight's over.

img03725_zps781082fc.jpg

img03727_zps29a26edc.jpg

img03729_zps2593a6c2.jpg

img03730_zps193f024e.jpg

Hrmm...Still kind of benign in the gunfight.  Bear in mind that I haven't touched the thrust of the F-22, it's still ridiculously high (over 100,000lbs total thrust in max AB), but I HAVE significantly reduced the bird's weight by getting its fuel quantities corrected.  I also know from having flown the aircraft recently that it will easily push to over 30 units AoA.  The F-14 doesn't usually do this except at altitudes of about 20,000 feet or more, and does not normally sustain more than 28 unless it's at the same altitudes with flaps down while pulling.  I feel that in a guns-only fight, the AI F-22 runs into similar problems that it does with the F-14, F-15 and Su-27: for whatever reason, it just doesn't handle the larger aircraft as well.  What I will say, however, is that with 18,000 pounds of gas removed, the aircraft was much more lively than it was in the past!  The first time I did this fight, I think the F-22 just tried one turn, then it ran out of energy, and just kind of hung there doing nothing 'till I shot it.

img03733_zps8f682eac.jpg

Yeah it didn't like me so I definitely got the feeling it wasn't benign during my engagement at all, he was out to get me.... :D

Eric,

Could be because he had missiles, so rather than going for "Lag Pursuit" for guns, he was probably pulling harder to get the IR missile shot!

Good point... though he had guns so yeah... :smile:

5th Gen fighters are benign in a gun fight coz they're all lemons loaded with all the gadgets you can find for making BVR engagement easier!  Haha. Just kidding. The F-35A though kept on the defensive was a handful against a tomcat. its low speed maneuverability. can counter the flaps down trick in a one circle fight. so going in a Yo-yo when it decides to go slow is almost always required. AI not being able to handle big fighters has been a long standing bug. though it might be my imagination but i kinda feel that the AI flies the better than the standard F-15A 

5th Gen fighters are benign in a gun fight coz they're all lemons loaded with all the gadgets you can find for making BVR engagement easier!  Haha. Just kidding. The F-35A though kept on the defensive was a handful against a tomcat. its low speed maneuverability. can counter the flaps down trick in a one circle fight. so going in a Yo-yo when it decides to go slow is almost always required. AI not being able to handle big fighters has been a long standing bug. though it might be my imagination but i kinda feel that the AI flies the better than the standard F-15A 

Haha how about trying F-35 vs Su35bm, lets see how u use it's low speed maneuverability to counter Su-35's thrust vectoring

Haha how about trying F-35 vs Su35bm, lets see how u use it's low speed maneuverability to counter Su-35's thrust vectoring

It seems that i dont have an Su-35BM so i used a substitute. SU35LSK. regardless of thrust vectoring or not the LSK can accelerate through a turn and in AI's hand is ridiculous in high speed. A bit tricky to manage for a human pilot but its has tremendous alpha/nose authority.

I did 3 bouts earler 2 in the F-35A and 1 in the Su-35LSK guns only. 

1st bout. i tried to turn with the LSK at high speed but the RWR signing meant his getting a nose on on me first. So pull hard and dropped speed to 300kias and blacked out at the process. got behind his 3/9 high. Roll down on him as he did a sharp turn which took him flying across my screen for an excellent shot. Trigger down.. WTF no hits? reacquired target and shot all my rounds into thin air. Either the LSK has a ghost model or i haven't quite figure out the right aim for the F-35.

this videos is a showing of  how bad a shot i was.

bout 2 -  went slow early on. After 1 and a half turn im already inside him. He went nose low and i followed after him to pressure the AI. I thought hell crash his jet but he managed to pull up. He reversed his turn and then turned back which placed him right in the middle of my sights. Trigger down no hits. Past the sun i decided to eyeball it. Got good lead and a long press got a few visible tracers and adjusted the stream with a bit of rudder movement. 4 rounds connected ad that was enough bring the LSK Down.

3 bout i was in the LSK. I really feel that the LSK out turns the F-35A in almost all regime at less than half throttle. however since the AI can turn hard without blacking out and its quite easy to blackout on the LSK and the fact that it takes 2 seconds for the sights to lock on means i didn't have time to get a shot off. The bout lasted 12 mins with the F-35A running out of fuel. It wasn't worth the upload and i didn't get the screen shot. Although i would love to master the jet since i just found out that it talks! (just needed to fix the cockpit position.

Takeaways: though i didn't got any victory in the Su-35 LSK i do feel that its a very capable jet. All you need is a precise joystick and a patient and precise pilot behind it. In this case the F-35A is better as just about anyone can fly it. The AI do have a field day on the F-35 as it seems that it can control the plane at will. I now have a fave opponent in DACT.

Ok, Ive got an odd report and query all rolled into one. I work as en embedded systems consultant in my country and so due to it(while involved in a small project regarding MFDs) I've had the opportunity to fly the actual simulator for the CATIC/PAC JF-17/FC-1 at PAC Kamra in Pakistan. At the same time, I mod SF2 for fun and initially had the the incomplete(not not so) JF-17 from the A-team site which I "fixed" and now also have the privilege to try out Banidos JF-17 which they have been generous enough to let me try as a beta.

Both aircraft use very different FM techniques but the Banidos aircraft is closer in some respects to the JF-17 while "Mine"(A-team site) is closer in some respects. Now, with the real deal the situation on DACT was set up with a 1v1 with a F-16 and Mig-29 later. I wont go into the detail of the entire experience there but lets compare it to the ones Ive got in a DACT with the excellent F-16-52 by the Viper Team. engaging in WVR with Guns only both the JF-17 from Banidos and my Frankenstein are able to get the better of the viper in a vertical scissors(although what the SF-2 AI does cant really be called that) which is sort of contrary to what the real deal shows since in it the Viper's better T/W starts to show. In a horizontal fight however the the SF-2 Viper performs better which goes contrary to my experience in the sim especially since I tried to tweak the FMs to the slightly lower corner speed of the JF-17. Moreover, the actual sim(made with European assistance and with direct input from the flight test program) the aircraft buffets a lot later than it does in SF-2.. How do I fix this? trying to reduce the Alpha stalls seemed to have lesser impact.

The results of the real sim are best left untold as the AI there is a little more potent than SF-2s.. But suffice to say that the Mig-29 was an easier fight than the Viper in guns only.

The SF-2 aircraft both are better at the instantaneous at the merge but as mentioned before in a sustained 2 circle or one circle fight the Viper and Mig both gain the edge(contrary to the real deal) because these SF-2 models start buffeting(stall onset) much sooner than the sim if I go beyond 5-6g in the JF-17 compared to 5-6g in the F-16. The real deal is quite the opposite. Any ideas?

Ok, Ive got an odd report and query all rolled into one. I work as en embedded systems consultant in my country and so due to it(while involved in a small project regarding MFDs) I've had the opportunity to fly the actual simulator for the CATIC/PAC JF-17/FC-1 at PAC Kamra in Pakistan. At the same time, I mod SF2 for fun and initially had the the incomplete(not not so) JF-17 from the A-team site which I "fixed" and now also have the privilege to try out Banidos JF-17 which they have been generous enough to let me try as a beta.

Both aircraft use very different FM techniques but the Banidos aircraft is closer in some respects to the JF-17 while "Mine"(A-team site) is closer in some respects. Now, with the real deal the situation on DACT was set up with a 1v1 with a F-16 and Mig-29 later. I wont go into the detail of the entire experience there but lets compare it to the ones Ive got in a DACT with the excellent F-16-52 by the Viper Team. engaging in WVR with Guns only both the JF-17 from Banidos and my Frankenstein are able to get the better of the viper in a vertical scissors(although what the SF-2 AI does cant really be called that) which is sort of contrary to what the real deal shows since in it the Viper's better T/W starts to show. In a horizontal fight however the the SF-2 Viper performs better which goes contrary to my experience in the sim especially since I tried to tweak the FMs to the slightly lower corner speed of the JF-17. Moreover, the actual sim(made with European assistance and with direct input from the flight test program) the aircraft buffets a lot later than it does in SF-2.. How do I fix this? trying to reduce the Alpha stalls seemed to have lesser impact.

The results of the real sim are best left untold as the AI there is a little more potent than SF-2s.. But suffice to say that the Mig-29 was an easier fight than the Viper in guns only.

The SF-2 aircraft both are better at the instantaneous at the merge but as mentioned before in a sustained 2 circle or one circle fight the Viper and Mig both gain the edge(contrary to the real deal) because these SF-2 models start buffeting(stall onset) much sooner than the sim if I go beyond 5-6g in the JF-17 compared to 5-6g in the F-16. The real deal is quite the opposite. Any ideas?

Well I am not sure whether the F-16 model in the "real sim" is high fidelity, but some fans have timed multiple airshow videos and found out that in a 360 horizontal turn a Viper (block 40 or 50) spends at least 5 seconds less than a FC-1. F-16 used to finish a 360 turn in 14-15 seconds, and finish a 720 turn in 33 seconds, while a FC-1 finish a 360 turn in more than 20 seconds then it takes forever to accelerate. 

Here's the second vid for the DACT. Sorry guys i forgot to include it. cant edit my post. dunnp why.

@SantroM. you need the help of the FM Gurus for your questions. try posting it as a new topic or better yet try scouring the SF1/SF2 knowledge base. Chances are the answers are there. :)

Well I am not sure whether the F-16 model in the "real sim" is high fidelity, but some fans have timed multiple airshow videos and found out that in a 360 horizontal turn a Viper (block 40 or 50) spends at least 5 seconds less than a FC-1. F-16 used to finish a 360 turn in 14-15 seconds, and finish a 720 turn in 33 seconds, while a FC-1 finish a 360 turn in more than 20 seconds then it takes forever to accelerate.

Well the sim is linked to the Gripen so again I cant comment on the flight model used for the F-16. However the FC-1 has been modelled extensively and so I was wondering how to get the buffeting issue resolved.

Here's the second vid for the DACT. Sorry guys i forgot to include it. cant edit my post. dunnp why.

@SantroM. you need the help of the FM Gurus for your questions. try posting it as a new topic or better yet try scouring the SF1/SF2 knowledge base. Chances are the answers are there. :)

Will do. Thanks.

It's amazing that you don't need to go after burner (or even half throttle) to turn inside a Su-35 and keep following him.

It's amazing that you don't need to go after burner (or even half throttle) to turn inside a Su-35 and keep following him.

Being in the burner doesn't always yield the best turn performance. As one member said managing your angle and speed can provide better results. Besides the FM on this F-35A seems able to accelerate on full pull in the afterburner with the end result being a blackout and sometimes understeer? :)

I can add to that (though it wasn't me, or maybe it was... it's been a while...) as in some cases burner is good but you have to realize that sometimes you have throw the brakes out and throttle down to get better turn performance as while AB gives you energy... it also makes your turns harder so you have to do as such to get in and not pull too hard on the stick, a firm pull on the stick is better than a hard pull sometimes.

I found I do have an Su-35 myself so I'll get to the F-35/Su-35 bout later on.

But I'd check with the moderators saisran as you've been long enough to be able to edit your posts...

Me: F-35A with 4 x AIM-120C, 6 x AIM-9X, gun

Opposition: Su-35 with 6 x AA-11s, 6 x AA-10As

Takeaways:  Don't use Insky as well... we all know the history but for some reason it wouldn't load AA-11s so I spent some time getting that jet squared away as it would only load Ataka A-A missiles, so after some moaning and groaning I got it to load the weapons correctly (why it wouldn't I don't know, frakkin Chinese imports).  The first bout (not shown) the Su-35 actually flew into the ground (credited with the kill though) so I decided to give it another try.  As you can see I guess he's using the thrust vectoring and for the most part had easy shots on him (I really don't see him) had I decided to end it after about a minute or two (when he started maneuvering) so all in all the video shows me really in the kill slot once I got into position.  Remember he has to work out of it and me work into a shot for it to be called an honest days work.  Also of note the aircraft for some reason noses up when I pass right in front of him.  I did that during a DACT in DCS and took some rounds from a Mig-21 (he went vertical, and I slid right in front of him, and he took the shot) so makes me wonder on Excellent how good the pilots are...) and got shot down in my precious Su-33.  But realistically there's not much other than the ability to literally play with the Su-35 as it was okay for a bout after tweaking the loadout so it would work properly.

Me: F-35A with 4 x AIM-120C, 6 x AIM-9X, gun

Opposition: Su-35 with 6 x AA-11s, 6 x AA-10As

Takeaways:  Don't use Insky as well... we all know the history but for some reason it wouldn't load AA-11s so I spent some time getting that jet squared away as it would only load Ataka A-A missiles, so after some moaning and groaning I got it to load the weapons correctly (why it wouldn't I don't know, frakkin Chinese imports).  The first bout (not shown) the Su-35 actually flew into the ground (credited with the kill though) so I decided to give it another try.  As you can see I guess he's using the thrust vectoring and for the most part had easy shots on him (I really don't see him) had I decided to end it after about a minute or two (when he started maneuvering) so all in all the video shows me really in the kill slot once I got into position.  Remember he has to work out of it and me work into a shot for it to be called an honest days work.  Also of note the aircraft for some reason noses up when I pass right in front of him.  I did that during a DACT in DCS and took some rounds from a Mig-21 (he went vertical, and I slid right in front of him, and he took the shot) so makes me wonder on Excellent how good the pilots are...) and got shot down in my precious Su-33.  But realistically there's not much other than the ability to literally play with the Su-35 as it was okay for a bout after tweaking the loadout so it would work properly.

It's weird that the AI su-35 was using a cobra like maneuver at the beginning. You quicly gained an upper hand because he lost too much energy? 

Yeah he wasn' t really pushing that much (compared to the UFO Su-27) so it was easy to keep on his tail or maneuver (as I did several times) and shoot him.  I only applied air brakes so I wouldn't ram him (towards the end).