Sign in to follow this  
SayethWhaaaa

Christchurch Earthquake

Christchurch was hit by a 6.3 quake today, causing massive damage to most of the city and surrounding areas. This is the second major quake to hit NZ in 5 months. I know there are a lot of people mobilising on this side of the Tasman to fly over to anything they can to assist our Kiwi cousins. Here's hoping the death toll won't increase, unfortunately, New Zealanders are being told to expect more grim news. This is a dark day indeed and our thoughts are with you.

News Link:

r723115_5763204.jpg

r723024_5762024.jpg

r722985_5760921.jpg

r722856_5758157.jpg

r722846_5757906.jpg

Edited by Say What?!

They're not that geologically active historically, are there? I can't recall hearing of any in NZ before this recent bout.

A very, very sad day for the people of Christchurch. We think about you.

Derk

Edited by Derk

Wow. That is terrible. Thoughts and prayers for those people.

Just a week ago the southwest of Germany (where i live) was struck by a 4.4 in 20 Km depth. Only minor damages and luckily no casualties. My sympathy to the victims in NZ! :salute:

Thanks for your messages of support this is something you always see on the news and think 'this will never happen to us.' I am I career firemen here in NZ and our Urban search and rescue teams (USAR) are part of the Fire Service and made up of 90% specially trained career firefighters. We quite often give our crew mates who are on the USAR teams a bit of s**t about it since they are constantly on call and carrying pages around that never go off and are all geared up to deploy anywhere in the world but never get sent. If only we knew.......

Edited by dtmdragon

Living in Earthquake Country, USA, I can totaly sympathize. My thoughts go out to all in NZ. Been though several major quakes, and I know how it feels. Very disconcerting to feel the solid ground roll like the ocean

wrench

kevin stein