Sign in to follow this  
Olham

"What is in the Picture?" - A P4 Screenshot Quiz

Hmmm, so I need to take it up a notch further if I want to get full credit? Alright...I will now give the answer again, striking myself repeatedly in the head with blunt instruments, whilst crooning...

"Only make believe I love you...OWW! OUCH! It's full name is 'elevator trim control quadrant'...Only make believe that you love me...UGH! UMMF! It's function would be to adjust the neutral angle of incidence of the elevator once in flight...Others find peace of mind in pretending..."

Well, Shredward lives in western Canada and may not be up by now, or still having a rich Easter breakfast.

Come on, Shredder - when you're ready: tell us what it is, and if Lou wasn't correct, it will be your turn.

And tell us class, for full marks, what is the full name of a 'quadrant', and what is it's function?

In trooth this isn't so much a "trim" control as much as it's a control force biasing control. It has spring preload, look at the two long cylindrical thingies hanging down from the two clevises, those my friends are big honking springs, and because of this, like Lou said, there's a tendency for the DH2 to fly somewhat light in the nose, in other words there's considerable arm effort expended on the part of the pilot to keep the plane from constantly climbing. These springs help to "bias' the effort required to keep the control stick forward.

Seems that we just get into a bunch of persnickety semantics over the name, other wise I think we all agree what this control does.

since i think that shredwards question is answered correctly (please correct me if not, sir) and it was actually my turn, here are the next three questions.

1. which pilot once decided to try a loop in it, when in the vertical he became anxious and pushed the stick back forward to level it out again. in that negative G-force moment the spare lewis drums fell out of the panel and flew directly into the prop behind him, damaging three of the four blades. he barely managed to land safely.

2. the very same pilot once in end of 1916 run with his squad into a formation of albatros DII's. one particular agressive german set on his tail shooting at him. he tried to evade by halflooping downwards and other tricks, but the german was hanging on his back like glued and shot his AC to pieces until he went down spinning out of control. surprisingly the brit leveled out again at treetop level and made it back home. the german claimed his victim as a victory and got it confirmed (he didn't see him crash but seemed to be very obvious for him and his mates that the brit crashed). what's the name of the german pilot?

3. what was the reason in the first place (at least when it appeared at the front), the brits used pushers as scouts instead of tractors?

post-45910-0-78514800-1303552827.jpg

Well, Shredward lives in western Canada and may not be up by now, or still having a rich Easter breakfast.

Come on, Shredder - when you're ready: tell us what it is, and if Lou wasn't correct, it will be your turn.

Lou has it. Sorry I wasn't able to reply yesterday - it was Good Flyday, and I was making my way back from the Arctic.

Cheers,

shredward

Creaghorn, that is P4 screenshot #5 showing a detail of the new Airco DH-2, and here are your answers:

1. James McCudden

2. Manfred von Richthofen, on December 27, 1916

3. The Brits tried the pusher configuration in order to get a forward-firing machine gun system that would counter the Fokker Scourge, (as the Allies did not make use of an interrupter gear at this time).

Cheers!

Lou

Creaghorn, that is P4 screenshot #5 showing a detail of the new Airco DH-2, and here are your answers:

1. James McCudden

2. Manfred von Richthofen, on December 27, 1916

3. The Brits tried the pusher configuration in order to get a forward-firing machine gun system that would counter the Fokker Scourge, (as the Allies did not make use of an interrupter gear at this time).

Cheers!

Lou

yes, yes and ahem...yes :good:

your turn, sir.

Alrighty then, here is the photo:

OFF-P4-WIP5-Rumpler%2001-13-11.jpg

And here are your questions:

1. Who was the manufacturing/design firm of the aeroplane shown, and which model is it?

2. What was the Pfalz-built version of this aeroplane called, and what were it's primary differences?

3. Who was the American ace that forced down one of these intact on 16 August 1918, and what unit was he assigned to at the time?

Best of Luck.

Lou

Hello,

Okay:

1. Rumpler C.IV

2. Pfalz C.I. Had ailerons on all wings and "additional struts" bracing the vert stab.

3. Maj. Charles Biddle, 13th Aero Squadron

Outstanding! Spot on with all three Jim. And just as a sidebar: Biddle's book, "The Way of the Eagle", is in my top handful of favorites of the genre. Right up there with AGL's "No Parachute", and Lewis' "Sagittarius Rising".

The next one is yours, JFM.

I got lucky with the Pfalz C.I, as I was just looking at a photo/stats of that machine the other day. And I have not read The Way of the Eagle, so thanks for the recommendation!

Okay, here we go:

MysteryCockpit2.jpg

1. What is the make/model of this machine?

2. What is the looped metal rod in the upper-left portion of the cockpit?

3. How many victories, if any, did Manfred von Richthofen attain while flying this particular make/model?

OOO, OOO, I know, I know. Can I go again, Mr. Trebek? :grin:

1. Fokker EVIII

2. Ice cream cone holder.

3. None. He died before this plane arrived at the front.

I'm a little shakey on 1 & 3 but I gotta have nailed #2.

Hellshade

Hmmm - sounds like there's another must-have book I should get then.

Jim and Olham, you will find Biddle's book in set #3 of my WWI books downloads in the OFF DL section.

Hellshade: wrong, wrong, and wrong. Alex, pick me, pick MEEEEEEE! :biggrin:

Well, the aircraft should be an Albatros D.Va.

Manfred von Richthofen has never been flying that variant in combat, so he had zero victories in it.

But that metal rod - even Mark Miller's CGI Albatros cockpits don't show what it might be.

So I make a very wild guess. Could it be a puller, to let the pressure out of the tank at landing?

If that's wrong, you are invited to help me here, Lou - and we shall make the next one together. Okay?

Edited by Olham

My pleasure to assist you Olham. You are quite right I am sure on the plane type and on the fact that MvR did not score any victories with the DVa variant, but rather with his three DV's; numbers 1177/17, 2059/17, and 4693/17. As to that rod in the upper left of the cockpit, it is an auxiliary throttle control rod, and was to be used in the event that the throttle lever on the port side of the control column failed. My understanding as to how the rod worked is that you pushed it forward until it engaged the throttle plate arm on the top of the carb, at which point it would allow you to control the throttle.

Wow, that sounds so complex, that it MUST be right! JFM???

My proposal would be, that I pick the next picture and one question, and you ask the other two, Lou?

Very kind of you Mien Freund, but you go ahead with the next one. I will be out soon for the rest of the afternoon and most of the day tomorrow so I would not be available to monitor the answers. I can join back up later on in the game.

*DING*DING*DING*DING*

We have two winners! :drinks:

1. Albatros DVa (ID'd by lack of aileron cables coming up vertically in front of the cockpit)

2. Aux throttle, just as Lou described.

3. 0

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four...no... Amongst our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

The "Spanish Inquisition" one of those sketches, that are like burnt into my brain.

In the German-French TV program "arte" they will present most of MP's sketches in Germany next week!

I'll be there!

Okay, here is the next quiz. This aircraft, the Fokker D.VII, was often called the best German fighter of WW1.

1. How was the strongest climbing version's type name, and which engine did it carry?

2. What is the main difference between the Lozenge camouflage on the wings and that on the fuselage of the D.VII in this picture (apart from the colour tones)?

3. Which Jasta is do these markings belong to?

And one additional question (the answer on this one does not count though): What is the forum name of the skinner of this craft?

Edited by Olham

Okay, here is the next quiz. This aircraft, the Fokker D.VII, was often called the best German fighter of WW1.

1. How was the strongest climbing version's type name, and which engine did it carry?

2. What is the main difference between the Lozenge camouflage on the wings and that on the fuselage of the D.VII in this picture (apart from the colour tones)?

3. Which Jasta is do these markings belong to?

And one additional question (the answer on this one does not count though): What is the forum name of the skinner of this craft?

1. The Fokker DVII-F with the 185 hp "overcompressed" BMW IIIa engine with the altitude compensating carburetors.

2. The Wing lozenge is 4 colors, the fuselage lozenge is 5 colors.

3. Could be Jasta 10?, Lowenhardt's?

Edited by Lewie