Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Hurricane Irene

Lots of flooding in my neck of the woods, seven miles inland, 90 feet ASL. Luckily, the property manager at my complex suggested that we move our vehicles to high ground..those that didn't heed his warning.....well....

DSCF0101.JPG

DSCF0102.JPG

DSCF0103.JPG

DSCF0104.JPG

DSCF0105.JPG

Edited by Fubar512

The day after Irene: A number of people in my complex awoke to discover that they've received promotions from car owners to U-boat commanders this morning.

The forward torpedo, err, laundry room had a bit of water in it. Notice the high tide mark on the outside wall...scary

4.jpg

A pair of U-boats that failed the water-tight integrity test. Well, technically the Toyota is an I-boat....both cars were flooded to the tops of their doors.

5.jpg

Holy s**t! This is down in Cape May, NJ, during the height of the storm:

9938692-standard.jpg

"Saturday: Ed Johnston, owner of The Cove Restaurant near Sunset Pavilion, in Cape May, watches as the water pounds against the dunes and jetty next to his business, as the storm becomes more intense. (Saed Hindash/The Star-Ledger)"

Hurricane Irene.

Typical woman. Promises so much, but when it's time to get down and dirty, fails to deliver.

Glad its over!!! We dodged the bullet this time...but H season has not ended yet.

Glad its over!!! We dodged the bullet this time...but H season has not ended yet.

We are getting near its peak, Sept-Oct is when the huge storms hit the Gulf and East Coasts.

Maybe winter will fare a bit better, the Midwest and New England got slammed last year, and the mid-Atlantic caught hell the year before, maybe we are due for a reprieve?

Edited by ironroad

Don't forget Andrew was a late-August first-of-the-season beast that did a ton of damage and single-handedly reformed Florida building codes.

That's why now when Florida gets hit by something like Irene we don't bat an eye. You get some flooding and downed trees and power lines and that's it. Other states don't get hit often enough for them to mandate that kind of construction. We use CBS for homes and businesses here, the only exception being 2 story homes may have frame upper floors (although I personally wouldn't go that way).

It may cost a little more, but it lasts!

Jesus Ed, did your apartment get wet?

We do have "small" by comparision tornadoes in Poland too since few years (2012 marketing?) and that's true damage caused is mostly shattered roofs, specifically on old buildings.

Ok, apart from that was a here known case of bus with some 40 passengers inside on a speedway turned upside down by the tornado that passed meters away, you can search for clips recorded from inside on the web. Scary.

not so completely OT: In southern Poland in mountainous area I live in it's quite common to design new houses with reinforced concrete 29x29 posts every 150-200 cm on the roof floor to which the the roof construction is tied via usually 16x16cm wall plate, roof rafters are usually 8x18, 8x20 or 8x22 (rarely 10x22) cm here, given the snow coverage weight safety regulations. Oh, and we do typically 40-45 degree roofs (again, regulations)

Here's an example of building now under construction, shops and garages on the ground floor with owner's home in the first (roof) floor:

It's slightly bigger than typical home for my area given the owner's small shops and magazines on the ground floor, but the same rules and materials are here used for standard "single family homes", notice these concrete posts to which roof construction will be bolted in weeks to come.

Just to add to Gepard's post

(BTW It was my first building I designed as an architect hehe)

Nicely done. When I was in Brazil, construction was much the same there. Very solid. Fireproof.

Actually I wouldn't mind something like that in Alabama. Are you available?