Hellshade

OT: Attention Fantasy RPG Fans

So I started a melee Paladin type character just for the hell of it. See how it is to play a melee type. Well I'm not sure how the rest of it goes but I knocked this poor Bandit right through the floor with my Mace. Whack a Mole, anyone? :rofl:

Ah - ragdoll fun! :tongue:

Is it strange that sometimes when I kill bandits in the wilderness I like to pick up their dead bodies and throw them off cliffs / into rivers - or over waterfalls for a double whammy! That's if I don't manage to do it while they're still alive of course... (Uh oh, better not tell the Red Cross!)

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Well ya'll have your favorites, and I have mine. Found Mjoll the Lioness in Riften of all places. Doer of good, and warrior of justice! Mjoll also wrecks shop with a 2hander. She is a little chatty at times but enjoyable to have on long journeys into the deep dungeons.

Def my favorite so far.

!*!*!*!*! Minor storyline spoiler allert bellow the pic. If you want to know where I got that helm for her...!*!*!*!*! :grin:

post-47816-0-52505300-1323586561.jpg

post-47816-0-20705700-1323587505.jpg

My first real order of business after I picked up Mjoll was to finish off Ulfrics little rebellion in the region. We stormed windhelm and as i finished off Ulfy, I turned to see good ol' Mjoll impaling his bodygaurd housecarl on her greatsword and tossing him to the floor. Ulfric's bodygaurd wore the bearhelm. so i thought it fitting that she should inherit it.

Edited by Macklroy

Something I'd never noticed before.... Giants have pointy ears, as you can see in the pic. That brings up all sorts of fodder for elf jokes :blink:

BTW, that's Lydia in the full set of steel plate. Her armor, elf bow, and elf war axe are all (exquisite) thanks to my forge work. The only thing she has that I haven't pimped is her new-found ebony shield, which is at present beyond my skill.

As Rob Zombie says, "there's only 1 sure way to bring the giant..........down"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcO_FyG1ilg

post-45917-0-66004200-1323637882.jpg

Having trouble finding a present for the thane who has everything? Well, worry no longer. Just in time for Xmas delivery, straight from the workshops of Mehrunes Dagon himself, Oblivion Overpriced Plumbing of Skyrim (OOPS) is proud to present to you the Bidet from Hell! Just pull the chain and dingleberries disappear in a puff of smoke! And no more need to shave those delicate areas before a night on the town. Act now and we'll throw in free installation by our certified crew of atronachs. And as a special, limited-time Xmas offer, the price isn't even your soul. We'll take anybody's, no questions asked.

post-45917-0-54701800-1323659501.jpg

hahahahaha....Frying tonight! :rofl:

BTW...is there a tuitorial on forging weapons and armour?

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

BTW...is there a tuitorial on forging weapons and armour?

Yup. Go to any blacksmith and ask to help out around the forge. This will begin an in-game tutorial where you make and improve some items with materials provided by the smith. You get no money out of it but you don't spend any, either, and you get a few smith skill increases.

It's really very simple, though. Click on one of the devices at the shop, select the recipe you want to make, and hit R. Poof, there it is. If the recipe is gray, it means you're missing 1 or more ingredients, but by selecting it you can see what they are and go shopping/hunting for them.

The various devices at the shop do the following things:

Smelter: converts ore into ingots

Tanning rack: converts hides into leather, and converts leather into leather strips

Forge: converts ingots, leather, and leather strips into weapons/armor, and converts ingots and jewels into jewelry

Grindstone: improves the damage rating of weapons

Workbench: improves the armor rating of armor

Most shops don't have the full set of devices (Warmaiden's in Whiterun does, though). However, the shops sell ingots, leather, and leather strips, so you usually don't need the smelter or tanning rack. The important things are the forge, the grindstone, and the workbench. If you have these, you can easily grind up your smithing skill by making scads of iron daggers and sharpening them.

So, actually making stuff is no problem. What IS a problem is learning the recipes. The only way to learn recipes is to spend perks on the smithing tree, and that requires having a high enough smithing skill. So if you want to do more than just the occasional sharpening of your latest sword upgrade, you have to treat smithing as a major part of your character and carefully balance skill increases there with your combat skills. If you pursue smithing, you have to limit what else you do.

However, smithing does have a real benefit, it just takes a while to show up. The benefit is that if you have the perk to make something exotic, you can SERIOUSLY improve it on the grindstone or workbench. This improvement is like a permanent enchantment. For example, you might find an enchanted weapon that does X base damage plus Y fire damage on top. But you can make a weapon whose base damage is at least equal (if not better) to the total of the enchanted weapon, and doesn't need to be refueled with soul gems. And if you spend the perk, you can improve the enchanted weapon to have the higher base damage AND its enchantment. With armor, you end up with an armor rating the same or better than the next higher level of stock armor, which you probably can't find enough of as loot or in stores.

All well and good. However, this only really comes into effect once you've increased smithing enough to take the exotic perks. If you're carefully managing your smithing increases, you won't start reaping the true benefit of smithing until you're about 15th level or so.

Brilliant BH...thanks for explaining that so well1...I'm on level 18..and not really concentrated on Smithing sadly......maybe my next character! :drinks:

Is there any way I can score some coin quick? I'm still less than 2,000 Gold and I really want to buy a house to put all my loot in.

Is there any way I can score some coin quick? I'm still less than 2,000 Gold and I really want to buy a house to put all my loot in.

Get an Axe...and volunteer to cut wood...boring, yes...but a nice little earner! :good:

Talk to all the NPCs you meet. Many of them give very simple MISC quests like delivering something to somebody else in town, which usually get you 100 or more. Then go crawl dungeons, kill stuff, take the loot, and sell it. That's where the big money is.

If you're after the Whiterun house, I recommend not buying until you've got about 6600 in your pocket. This is because the place is a rat-infested ruin until you buy various upgrades. Only 1 chest, although it holds a lot and you CAN just dump the other stuff on the floor. However, it's way better to have more containers to sort stuff by type, so upgrades are worth it. All the upgrades cost about 1500, but you don't have to spend 500 on the alchemy lab unless you're too lazy to walk up the hill to the alchemy shop or the wizard's room in Dragonsreach.

Can you simply commit a robbery?

Talk to all the NPCs you meet. Many of them give very simple MISC quests like delivering something to somebody else in town, which usually get you 100 or more. Then go crawl dungeons, kill stuff, take the loot, and sell it. That's where the big money is.

If you're after the Whiterun house, I recommend not buying until you've got about 6600 in your pocket. This is because the place is a rat-infested ruin until you buy various upgrades. Only 1 chest, although it holds a lot and you CAN just dump the other stuff on the floor. However, it's way better to have more containers to sort stuff by type, so upgrades are worth it. All the upgrades cost about 1500, but you don't have to spend 500 on the alchemy lab unless you're too lazy to walk up the hill to the alchemy shop or the wizard's room in Dragonsreach.

I've just been getting rid of loot as I don't know what to do with it. Who can I sell it to?

You can kill someone and take their Gold but they rarely have more than 2-10 pieces or so.

Well, it depends. Stealing gold is no problem but other stolen stuff can only be disposed of at a fence. And good luck finding a fence unless you're in the Thieves' Guild.

Yup...I tend to do one adventure/Dungeon...then head home...take off the old armour...view Lydia in the pink, with the 'Nude Woman' mod.... have a beer...and chill! :rofl:

For good coin, I recommend enchanting daggers with the Fear enchantment and selling them. Depending on your Speech skill, you can make a few hundred gold each. Fantastic money.

Hellshade

For good coin, I recommend enchanting daggers with the Fear enchantment and selling them. Depending on your Speech skill, you can make a few hundred gold each. Fantastic money.

But each time you do that, you increase your enchanting skill, plus perhaps your smithing skill if you make/improve the dagger itself. All well and good if you want to grind those skills up, but as before, always try to balance such non-combat skill increases with combat skill increases or you'll be sorry :).

But each time you do that, you increase your enchanting skill, plus perhaps your smithing skill if you make/improve the dagger itself. All well and good if you want to grind those skills up, but as before, always try to balance such non-combat skill increases with combat skill increases or you'll be sorry :).

All I can say is it hasn't been a problem with any characters I've done it with so far and it puts a lot of coin in my pockets. Besides, with increased enchanting skill, my combat skills are made more effective because now I have more magic resistance, greater health / stamina or magicka bonuses, increased 1 handed / two handed / archery damage, etc. For example on one toon who focuses on Archery, the gear I have crafted has given him a +39% archery damage on each of a Ring, Necklace, Bracers and Boots (or Helmet - I can't remember). So my Archery damage total is now modified to do 156% more than if I didn't have those enchantments. I did the same thing with 1 handed weapon damage bonus for 4 or 5 peices that I put on Jenassa, my companion. Given that she dual wields single handed weapons, she's practically a living blender. It all seems to scale very nicely in my experience, provided you create the right enchantments for your characters.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Yup...I tend to do one adventure/Dungeon...then head home...take off the old armour...view Lydia in the pink, with the 'Nude Woman' mod.... have a beer...and chill! :rofl:

How do you get her in the pink? I have the same mod, but I take her armor and she defaults to that annoying Steel armor. I married her, and we own a Manor in Solitude, and the Breezhouse in Whiterun.. with 40K in the bank (100 a day profit on her shop), we're kickin' ass. I let her stay home now, and it would be nice to leave her walk in the birthday suit. LOL! I've seen her pinks when she was dead... I'm convinced this game was designed by a bunch of under-sexed 20somethings... Man, she's built real nice!

BTW.. as a true Nord... I'm cheating on her as well... some smokin' hot new housecarl from my Thane status in Solitude is statisfing my 'need' while on adventures... while my lovely wife rolls in dough back home. I drop off the new girl at the Manor, and head back to Whiterun to spend time with the wife now and then.

Shame this is all fake... LOL!

How do you get her in the pink? I have the same mod, but I take her armor and she defaults to that annoying Steel armor. I married her, and we own a Manor in Solitude, and the Breezhouse in Whiterun.. with 40K in the bank (100 a day profit on her shop), we're kickin' ass. I let her stay home now, and it would be nice to leave her walk in the birthday suit. LOL! I've seen her pinks when she was dead... I'm convinced this game was designed by a bunch of under-sexed 20somethings... Man, she's built real nice!

BTW.. as a true Nord... I'm cheating on her as well... some smokin' hot new housecarl from my Thane status in Solitude is statisfing my 'need' while on adventures... while my lovely wife rolls in dough back home. I drop off the new girl at the Manor, and head back to Whiterun to spend time with the wife now and then.

Shame this is all fake... LOL!

Oh...I dunno m8...I strip her off...and Bob's ya uncle!....different Mod perhaps?

You bloody Nords!.... always after a bit on the side!....I'm gonna tell Lydia on you!...then you'll be sorry!! :lol:

Sell EVERYTHING.... yes, you can improve it, enchant it and everything, but sell it. I am down to keeping 3 weapons, and a few potions. Make and sell jewlery, sell scrolls, sell old armor... steal armor and sell it... sell lesser enchanted weapons.... etc. You get the point.

My main weapons....

Chillrend - fast and frozen... an awesome sword found in Riften. (you have to find it, why ruin it. ;) )

Elven Mace of Soul Trap - a 28 damage self-named enchanted weapon I made. Great for recharging soul gems.

Black Bow of Nordic Frost - another seld-named enchanted weapon - a 26 Damage bow with +12 damage of frost added.

Dragonbane - a must have for killing Dragons. Very fast, and very powerful +20 lighting strike to all dragon types.

Useless weapons....

anything 2-handed. The monsters/enemies are too fast in this game to not have a sheild with blocking capacity. By the time you wind-up and swing... you're dead.

Staffs that conjure elementals... they don't last long enough in fights and don't do enough damage. Again, back to the 2-handed note. You need to be swinging something powerful in order to live in close-combat.

All lower class, non-enchanted bows - Nordic, Orc, Hunting, Long... sell. Keep and enchant anything Dwarven and up.

Anything the Foresworn use - ugly and pointless weapons. Sell... but hey.. the chics are freakin' smokin hot!!

Anything the Dragaur/skeletons use that is not enchanted.

Best weapons...

hard to say... but the Falmer have the best Shields, easy to fing and can be improved to be even better.

Anything Elven - enchant it as well. These are easy to come by other than the Glass and Ebony stuff. Plus the weapons are light, unlike....

anything Dwarven - good weapons, but freakin' heavy!!! Everything they make is God-aweful heavy. If you are a fighter... dump the Dwarven armor as fast as possible.

Ebony and Glass - much harder to find, and is usually found on 'level bosses' (hate using that word in an RPG). But if you find it, enchant it for an all-out ass-kickin' piece.

Nightingale Bow - really nice bow. I finally put it aside to Lydia when I found the Ebony bow.

Chillrend - fantastic sword that paralizes as well as slashes for +20 frost damage.

I wear:

+15% 1-handed attacks on Blade Gauntlets

+30% Block on an Ebony Shield

+20 to Heavy Armor on Superior Blade Armor

+30% Frost Resist on my boots

+15% Destruction Cast saving on my Steel Helmet

Even though this game really pushes you to the Mage/Thief class, I am still holding fast as a true Warrior/Fighter class. I have the Nightingale armor hanging in my Manor in Solitude, and have completed the 'return key' quest... but I still prefer to just bash the sh!t out of everything.

All the best...

How do you get her in the pink? I have the same mod, but I take her armor and she defaults to that annoying Steel armor. I married her, and we own a Manor in Solitude, and the Breezhouse in Whiterun.. with 40K in the bank (100 a day profit on her shop), we're kickin' ass. I let her stay home now

Have you ever made the mistake of feeding a stray dog just once, and then the damn thing keeps hanging around no matter how often you kick and throw rocks at it? Lydia's like that. I kept telling her, usually with the back of my hand, that I didn't like her juvenile attitude. Finally, I had enough and broke up with her. And instead of going back to the palace, the whining bitch started squatting in my house in Whiterun, like she thinks we're married. We're not and never will be. As I keep telling her, my heart belongs to that horny little priestess of Dibella at the temple in Markarth, whom I plan to marry as soon as I get through the necessary quest. But still she stays, and I must admit it's nice to have available when I come home after a long trip. So I guess we're co-dependents now. She apparently likes being abused and I definitely like abusing her. So perhaps the future holds threesomes once I get married. My bride-to-be would definitely be up for that :cool:

For killing stuff, I've recently teamed up with a wily old Dunmer named Erandur. He's quite a good hunting buddy, what with a mace in 1 hand and destruction magic in the other. He's very effective at knocking dragons out of the sky so I can chop them up. In addition, being about 500 years old, he's got a mature personality (with a cynical, evil tinge to it that I appreciate) and is always dropping interesting tidbits of lore when we walk by something he knows about.

But for all the bad things I say about Lydia, she's not the worst groupie I've had. That dubious honor goes to a demon-possessed dog. Not that I have anything against demons. Hell, I've become one of Sheogorath's drinking buddies. But this damn dog was a total pain in the ass. It just HAD to be in physical contact with me, so I'd be trying to talk to somebody and that damn dog would keep rubbing up against me and pushing me sideways. Plus of course it was always knocking over all loose items in my vicinity. And it never stopped panting, sniffing, licking, and barking, no matter how often I belted it. EXTREMELY annoying! Finally I told it to get lost and I'll be damned if I finish its quest any time soon.

Even though this game really pushes you to the Mage/Thief class, I am still holding fast as a true Warrior/Fighter class. I have the Nightingale armor hanging in my Manor in Solitude, and have completed the 'return key' quest... but I still prefer to just bash the sh!t out of everything.

I think that you can actually be any sort of character provided you focus on it. Perks are what it's all about. Put your perks in the right place and you can be death incarnate regardless of your basic style.

I think that you can actually be any sort of character provided you focus on it. Perks are what it's all about. Put your perks in the right place and you can be death incarnate regardless of your basic style.

man.. you're so cold!!! LOL!

My Solitude whench is just as bad as Lydia, but has a nicer voice.

I've done that, I've banked everything into the 1-handed, block, archery, smithing, enchanting area... I meant more of the quests. I just finished the 'key quest' you get from The Guild (I am being vauge as to avoid spoilers)... also there is the Brotherhood quest. But I did notice a lot of the quests are more about magical stuff. Like you said, I guess as long as you progress on your own path, you choose your destiny.

Either way, it's a fun game, but I am begining to realize the 'repetition' involved. Unlike OFF, where it's completely random, I am starting to see that patterned quest based storyline in front of me. How many more Draguars can I possibly bash??? There are quite a few monster missing from the D&D books that they should have added. Many more in the dungeons (slime anyone) and in the forrests (scorpions, snakes) ...

But man.. the scenery can't be beat by anything... I'm collecting scenery shots for backgrounds... I'll post them soon.

OvS

Edited by OvS

man.. you're so cold!!! LOL!

I dunno. I play games to escape for this world. When I encounter in games the same sort of people I detest in real life, it's a buzzkill, unless I can play out in the game how I want to treat them here :cool: . And that damn dog was the same way only worse. No dog of mine has ever been nor will ever be such an undisciplined ignoramcus. If it hadn't been unkillable due to being "essential" for a quest, I've have made a pair of gauntlets out of its hide. And used them to slap Lydia around with, if I hadn't dumped her soon thereafter anyway.

I've done that, I've banked everything into the 1-handed, block, archery, smithing, enchanting area... I meant more of the quests. I just finished the 'key quest' you get from The Guild (I am being vauge as to avoid spoilers)... also there is the Brotherhood quest. But I did notice a lot of the quests are more about magical stuff. Like you said, I guess as long as you progress on your own path, you choose your destiny.

My main guy's been doing the Companions and Main quests and is about to really get into the Civil War. But to be honest, I don't do that many quests. I make a point of talking to everybody to get as many quests started as possible, pick one, and then usually get distracted en route by some intriguing ruin or a chance meeting with folks along the road. Very recently, however, I imposed some discipline on myself by starting to take the carriage instead of walking everywhere, and forcing myself to complete the Companions story before doing anything else.

Funny thing is, like everybody else, I've had that "Visit the Shrine of Azura" on my to-do list since I talked to the innkeeper in Riverwood at the start of the game. Several times I've set out after it only to get sidetracked by other things. And it had been bugging me that here I was, 26th level, and hadn't had anything to do with the Daedra yet at all. Then I just stumbled into 5 of them via random encounters, one after the other. And for most of these, I didn't even know it was a Daedra quest until well into them. They all just seemed like intriguing little sidequests with little travel needed. So be careful about hoping to get into Deadra quests. Apparently the Daedra can read your mind :yikes: .

Either way, it's a fun game, but I am begining to realize the 'repetition' involved. Unlike OFF, where it's completely random, I am starting to see that patterned quest based storyline in front of me. How many more Draguars can I possibly bash??? There are quite a few monster missing from the D&D books that they should have added. Many more in the dungeons (slime anyone) and in the forrests (scorpions, snakes) ...

Well, it's a bit on the cold side for scorpions and snakes up in Skyrim. Draugr do get old, but the ones you meet at high level are pretty nasty. I don't like being Shouted at, and the Dragon Priests are even worse than hagravens :).

But man.. the scenery can't be beat by anything... I'm collecting scenery shots for backgrounds... I'll post them soon.

Definitely spectactular. I found an actual scenic overlook purposely built as such, looking out over Ilinalta Vale from the top of a mountain. I was annoyed at first because it didn't provide a quick way down so I had to backtrack through the whole multi-level dungeon. But the view was worth it.

Remember how when HDTV 1st came out, you sudddenly noticed all the zits and wrinkles on the faces of TV chicks whom you previously thought were smokin' hot? Well, I'm afraid the same thing has happened to the Elder Scrolls with the upgraded engine of Skyrim compared to Oblivion.

Now, given that 200 years have passed between the games, it's hard to find the same characters in both games to make a proper comparison. But I managed to find one, and being immortal, I doubt the passing of time has had any effect on him. But look what a difference seeing things in more detail has done to him :yikes:

In Oblivion, Sheogorath passed himself off as (as the Stones would say) "a man of wealth and taste". He was a dashing, debonair bon vivant. But with the HD vision of Skyrim, he's revealed as a withered zombie. Poor Sheogorath, the years have not been kind....

post-45917-0-31785200-1323892336.jpg

You'll be pleased to know BH...that if you complete the Dog Quest...you 'may' get a chance to get ya own back on the Mangy beast! :good: