Hellshade

OT: Attention Fantasy RPG Fans

Well I have final bit the bullet or should that be sword here and purchased it as it looks like an op on my knee is coming up... so maybe just maybe it will keep me out of trouble... :drinks:

Well I have final bit the bullet or should that be sword here and purchased it as it looks like an op on my knee is coming up... so maybe just maybe it will keep me out of trouble... :drinks:

You wont be sorry Slarti....... enjoy :good:

You wont be sorry Slarti....... enjoy :good:

Got bored of NeverWinters Night 2 but I could never get into Oblivion for some reason... well will give this a try and if it doesn't work out at least I get to see what the graphics will be like for the next Fallout :lol:

Here's one for all us archer wannabes to try out:

(Not my video by the way.)

I've modded mine so that there's no crosshair and has the old gravity drop back though, so might be a tad tricky. :blink:

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Got bored of NeverWinters Night 2 but I could never get into Oblivion for some reason... well will give this a try and if it doesn't work out at least I get to see what the graphics will be like for the next Fallout :lol:

I'm with you Slarti...Oblivion was good...but I never 'really' got into it either...but Skyrim is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

I just took the plunge and started a Nord character named Saxe. I've just begun my 'open exploring' of SkyRim and it's amazing!

Edited by Shiloh

Welcome board the Skyrim train Shiloh. It's helping to pass the days and weeks (months?) until P4 ships!

I traded in Lydia for a Thief type companion who dual wields weapons quite nicely. She isn't as sturdy as Lydia, obviously, but she's a bit like blender with a weapon in each hand, carving up the bad guys in no time at all. She also seems to set off a lot fewer traps than Lydia tended to, which is a big plus.

Hellshade

Welcome board the Skyrim train Shiloh. It's helping to pass the days and weeks (months?) until P4 ships!

I traded in Lydia for a Thief type companion who dual wields weapons quite nicely. She isn't as sturdy as Lydia, obviously, but she's a bit like blender with a weapon in each hand, carving up the bad guys in no time at all. She also seems to set off a lot fewer traps than Lydia tended to, which is a big plus.

Hellshade

Thanks Hellshade for introducing me to the game - loads of fun so far. How do I get a companion? I'm near the end of level 1 right now.

Edited by Shiloh

Thanks Hellshade for introducing me to the game - loads of fun so far. How do I get a companion? I'm near the end of level 1 right now.

soon my friend...soon :drinks:

I decided to buy one of them there houses (not the Solitude one, I did buy it but it was a bit too fancy for my tastes. :grin: ) now all I seem to spend my time doing is decorating the bloody place!

Need somewhere to store my many, many, many, many books:

bookse.jpg

Most people go adventuring for gold or weapons, I go to find the latest volume of the History of the Empire... :rofl:

(Was a tad annoyed though as I decided to redecorate the dining room table with some nice silver plates that I stole from a Gods dinner table (obviously) then after I'd placed it all and loaded the save the plates went flying around the room!)

Of course only after I put all my books all over the place did I notice that the book shelves can be activated to show books like that...

Well for 500 gold you can hire a dark elf assassin type (the one I'm using right now) in Whiterun at the Drunken Hunter (?). Or if you want more of a fighter type companion, you can also do some quests for the Jarl of Whiterun, who is up in Dragon's Reach. That companions name is Lydia. There are plenty more but I'll let you find them.

Hellshade

how do you actually place things like furniture and books in your house?...and is it possible to get the hearth lit?

how do you actually place things like furniture and books in your house?...and is it possible to get the hearth lit?

You can physically place thing by dropping them in your house (from inventory) then hold down E over the item to move it around, then just move it to where you want it. (Also a good way to move suspicious looking dead bodies... :grin:)

The fire sould be lit when you buy one of the house upgrades from the steward or whoever he is (the bloke you buy the house from) - think its probably the Kitchen upgrade.

Edited by MikeDixonUK

[Hellshade

Dude... you dumped Lydia?? Never... she's a freakin' tank! And has a nice voice too. I accidentially killed her once with the Force shout. She was in the blast pattern while I was getting hammered. I actually felt bad. I think I am taking this all too seriously. LOL!

Great game. How do you take screen shots?

Dude... you dumped Lydia?? Never... she's a freakin' tank! And has a nice voice too. I accidentially killed her once with the Force shout. She was in the blast pattern while I was getting hammered. I actually felt bad. I think I am taking this all too seriously. LOL!

Great game. How do you take screen shots?

I traded her in for Jenassa, who's a sneaky theif type like me. The monsters weren't noticing me, but Lydia made a lot of noise in Dwarven armor, so they noticed her pretty quick. Hard to get suprise. So anyways I enchanted a pair of one handed weapons with Life Drain ability and gave them to Jenassa, so each time she strikes an opponent, she gets 15 health back (with either weapon!). Then I made a necklace and ring that boosted her 1 hand weapon damage by 32% and 25%, respectively. Check out how she does alone against 3 Draugr in melee combat with a 4th shooting arrows at her from off screen.

I use FRAPS to take screen shots. Not sure what they in game keyboard command is.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

I traded her in for Jenassa, who's a sneaky theif type like me. The monsters weren't noticing me, but Lydia made a lot of noise in Dwarven armor, so they noticed her pretty quick. Hard to get suprise. So anyways I enchanted a pair of one handed weapons with Life Drain ability and gave them to Jenassa, so each time she strikes an opponent, she gets 15 health back (with either weapon!). Then I made a necklace and ring that boosted her 1 hand weapon damage by 32% and 25%, respectively. Check out how she does alone against 3 Draugr in melee combat with a 4th shooting arrows at her from off screen.

I use FRAPS to take screen shots. Not sure what they in game keyboard command is.

Hellshade

Wow... she's insane! Lydia is more like me. I'll have to get fraps and take a screen shot. Standing next to each other we look like twins aside from being M/F.

I'll have to save my perks and work on the smithing and enchanting characteristics. I'd like to be able to weild better weapons and enchant them as well... or at least enchant the ones I have. I'm wearing the Blades armor, and I use an even mace for now along with an elven bow. I gave her a Nord Bow of Fear, and a Dwarven sword. I'm not too good with all the magic stuff... it's smash and bash the whole way for me. ;) If I start another character though, it will be a theif for sure. There is too much stuff to steal and cash in walking through this game. For now, I want to follow the story.

Where the hell do you sell stuff anyway. Every shop I enter only wants me to buy from them.

To sell it's in the same place, just scroll down to your stuff in the menu, click on a section then hover over an item and press E (you can sell by accident if you click so best way ;)) Lydia is a bit of a trap moron though calmly frying her way through flames and traps and limping through them.

Lydia is a bit of a Dumb lass!...where I sneak past traps...she just walks right into them!

Lydia is a bit of a Dumb lass!...where I sneak past traps...she just walks right into them!

She is. She rocks as a tank but if you're a sneaky type like me, she blows your cover all the time by alerting mobs with her noisy armor and setting off traps. I'm having better luck with Jessana. She's a sneaky, dual wielding badass!

A Dragon, a Troll and a Giant walk into a bar...

Hopefully home insurance in this town covers Dragon attacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE6wWSNkocQ

Damn this crap is just neverending fun.

Hellshade

haha..great vids m8....I've totally redecorated my house now..it's snug and warm.... so I have my civvy clothes on..(sword in sheath however)...and I'm concentrating on learning new spells, making potions...and lydia is standing semi-naked in the house f*cking cleaning and ironing!!!...like she damn well should be! :rofl:

(that giant has one hell of a boner!!!!!)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

"What do you mean 500 gold isn't enough?!? Get back here!!!"

It's so hard to find good help.

I have to agree with those who say Lydia is a mob-aggroing, stupid klutz. As such, I call her "Blondie" except when I'm trading gear with her and hear for the 10,000th time her whine about "<heavy sigh> I am sworn to carry your burdens...." Then I give her a gauntlet to the kisser and call her "stupid bitch" for the next 10 minutes or so. Last time I looked, my stats say I have about 10,000 assaults, almost all of which are from punching Lydia every time she says that. One of these days, I'm going to take her way out in the boonies, remove everything but her bikini, tell her it's time to part company, and fast travel to the other side of the map :yes: . But in the meantime, she's almost worth the aggravation for the comic relief :blink: .

I think I'll hire Sven of Riverwood instead. I hooked him up with his ladylove and he still thinks I'm his best buddy, so is willing to work for free. This despite me later beating the crap out of him on my 1st Companions quest. But I guess he knows that was nothing personal, just business. AND he's willing to leave this chick to follow me into horrible danger. That makes him a real man in my book. I don't know what good a bard would be against a dragon, but the fun of Skyrim is discovering the answer to such questions.

In the meantime, it's been Thanksgiving holidays over here in the States and my sister and her litter of pups came over for a few days. So I turned my nephew onto Skyrim. He decided to play a pure destruction wizard and thus opened my eyes to playing that way. Having been raised for 30 years or so on D&D, the idea of being a solo wizard was a non-starter with me. But in Skyrim, it's an entirely viable and in fact awesome career choice. He perked up his destruction, has items that between them greatly reduce his magicka expenditure, greatly increase its replenishment, and increase the effectiveness of his spells. All this makes him a friggin' weapon of mass destruction. It's spectactular to watch. My next character is going to do this :grin:

While I was watching him burn, zap, and freeze his way across Skyrim, I witnessed a very funny fight. He of course all got all up into the mage's guild quest line and is now the archmage. In the course of this quest line, there's a rather spectacular disaster at the College of Winterhaven. So he goes running out of the burning building along with the other survivors. And as luck would have it, a random dragon made the mistake of its life in turning up just then. Besides my nephew, there were 10 or 12 other powerful wizards in the vicinity and they all opened fire at once. Needless to say, the dragon immediately acted out the shoot-down of a Zeppelin, bursting into flames at high altitude so that all that hit the ground was the smoldering skeleton :yikes:

Mages sound damn fun BH. Im torn between a mage and a warrior type next...however long THAT might take considering how much fun I'm having with my sneaky archer.

A few tips I've found that you might all know but I figured I'd just pass them along:

1. Recharging your magic items (weapons) with soul stones actually helps your Enchanting skill and can cause a skill up.

2. It seems if you want to use the grindstone on your weapons to improve them, you can only do it BEFORE they are enchanted, not after. I can make a sword "fine" and then Enchant it with Fire damage, but not the other way around UNLESS you choose the right Perks in Smithing. I think it requires a 60 skill in Smithing and the Perk to improve magical items.

3. If you see a whole bunch of books and wish you knew which ones were more likely to give you skill ups without reading every single book, just look at the value of the book as you move the cursor over the books themselves. If the book has a value of 50 gold or greater, it's highly likely to offer a skill up.

4. Not sure what the keyboard command is, but if using an xbox 360 controller and you have an arrow knocked in your bow, pressing X will deknock the arrow (and also put away charged spells that you haven't cast yet) so that you don't have to waste the ammo.

5. At the highest enchanting level (100) you can put two enchantment on every item. So if you're dual wielding 1 handed weapons, you could enchant each weapon to Absorb Stamina and Absorb Health, giving you back both every time you hit an opponent with either weapon.

6. You can raise your Illusion skill really fast by casting the low level Muffle spell repeatedly, which reduces the sound your armor makes when moving my 50%. However repeatedly casting Bound: sword doesn't have the same effect on Conjuration. Your conjured weapon or familiar seems to have to hit something for the chance to earn a skill up.

Any tips you learn, pass em along. It's a big old world out the to explore!

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Jeeze you guys are rough on Lydia. I'll get Fraps loaded and take a screen shot of us. I'm just like she is, I walk into everything, set off traps, no sneaking... etc. Like I own the f'n place. Basically my character is built like an NFL defensive linemen, and I carry enough weapons on me to wipe out all of Riften in one sweep. ;)

I'll stick with her till the end... although she'll probably get us there sooner. LOL!

Seriously though, this game is amazing. I hope more games use this new technology and get out of the same scripted crap we see all the time. Far Cry 2 was like this as well. You could do anything and go anywhere in that game, but it was still not anywhere near as random as this is.

All the best,

OvS