Sign in to follow this  
tranquillo

Urgent\help needed from the PC tecchies

Hi Guys,.

Woe is me.....I have no PC.

I went to turn it on today and it didn't start up. The power lights come on at the front and on the MB - the fans work as well. But it doesn't seem to go through the boot process. The monitor reads " No Signal" and remains blank. I cannot power it off using the on/off, only by turning power off at the mains. Any ideas??? The light that usually indicates HD activity didn't indicate s#

#t.

:salute: Wish I could help but I am having problems with my monitor. Seems it gets Hot ? and then screen goes Black after a 1/2 hr or so. However it returns when I leave it off for awhile. Good Luck :good:

pull the mains lead out for a minute - then shove it in and try again

pull the mains lead out for a minute - then shove it in and try again

Thanks, but no that didn't work. First thing I did.

Sounds very like the Hard Drive has died, heads crashed or some such, if so data won't be easily recoverable either, never mind the hardware going West. Do you hear a faint clicking from the area of the HDD, which would tend to indicate a head crash? If not maybe worth checking the power and data connections from/to the HDD are tight but that's a faint hope indeed.

Tranquillo, have you popped the side cover yet to see if you have any cables off inside? Could be a loose plug at the graphics card or HD. Of course it could also be a fried graphics card or HD, but let's hope not.

Great minds think alike Lima, I was posting basically the same thing just as you were. :smile:

Edited by RAF_Louvert

I've got 2 HD's both with an OS. I've unplugged each in turn and still no startup. All connections inside seem good and I can hear no clicking from the HDs.

Does a graphics card fan work regardless of temp 'cause I've just noticed that it isn't working.

If its fried and more than 4 years old dump it and get a new one.

If its fried and more than 4 years old dump it and get a new one.

Yes, but I don't know if it's fried. Is that the case if the fan isn't working?

If the fan is not running on your graphics card and you are sure all the plugs on it are nice and snug, then I'm afraid you may have a toasted card. Do you have another one you can swap in just to be sure Tranquillo?

If the fan is not running on your graphics card and you are sure all the plugs on it are nice and snug, then I'm afraid you may have a toasted card. Do you have another one you can swap in just to be sure Tranquillo?

No, Lou, haven't got a spare I can swap in. If I remove it should I not be able to boot up using on-board graphics?

I can just about live with a fried G card, if that's what it is,as I was due to upgrade.

Yes, if your mobo has onboard graphics you should be able to boot up, and it will likely just do that automatically with the GC removed. Good luck.

If your GPU is fried, all you have to do is take it out, and power up, you should get BIOS Beeps signaling No VGA.

however, since your not getting ANY BIOS Beeps, I'd say it's The mainboard, CPU or the PSU. But most Likely the mainboard. as you should be getting BIOS Beeps for Low Voltage or NO CPU Present.

Try a different PSU.

Another thing that can cause it is cold. My computer at the shop will not start unless it is at least 60 F. The power supply fan and the power lights come on but it is to cold for the hard drive to boot. If I am in a hurry I heat up the case with a heat gun on a low temp. By the way the heat gun wont work under about 54 F. I sometimes heat that up with a quartz heater, lol,

Beard

If your GPU is fried, all you have to do is take it out, and power up, you should get BIOS Beeps signaling No VGA.

however, since your not getting ANY BIOS Beeps, I'd say it's The mainboard, CPU or the PSU. But most Likely the mainboard. as you should be getting BIOS Beeps for Low Voltage or NO CPU Present.

I'm not getting any beeps 'cause I don't have a little speaker. Beginning to regret not putting one in when I built it.

Lou, Only monitor socket is the Graphics card, so no go with that idea.

Siggi, good idea but I haven't got one or know anyone who might have one to try.

BB, temp in the room's is fine, if anything it's a little heated at the moment.

I think I might have a speaker in my old case in the loft so I'll try to rig that up although it's likely to have a different connector as that PC came as a pair and was delivered by the Ark.

Well, robbed the speaker from my old PC and........NO beeps. Does that mean mobo, cpu, or psu?

As SkateZilla noted, with no beeps it is likely the mobo, Tranquillo. Bummer.

IF your mobo's fried, then the PSU might be the culprit. Worth checking before you'll put a new mobo in.

Edited by SFP1Ace

Bummer indeed Don't think there are too many AM2 socket boards around now and I certainly don't want to replace the cpu if I can help it.

Au contraire, mon frère! There are many on eBay right now, and Newegg also has a few as well.

I'll have to check what is compatible with my Buffalo Firestix ram.

If I can list my cpu and ram can anyone here spec me AM2+ mobo?

IF your mobo's fried, then the PSU might be the culprit. Worth checking before you'll put a new mobo in.

Good idea. Is it something a non techie like me can do? I'm OK at building them but troubleshooting them is not my forte.

Tranquillo, what is the brand and model number of your current mobo? Maybe we can simply find you another one.