we could try asking nicely TK to reconsider locking access to .OUT and .fx files

these files are nothing that someone with evil plans could use anyway.

Real pirates, the ones that would profit from stealing his work... have all the tools( I won't name the programs) they need to steel his work with out even needing the LOD files. Locking the game owners out of the files is a stupid idea, one that should not be condoned. I fully support the development of a third party Cat utility.

I'm seeing a lot of typical assumptions about DRM that are just plain wrong.

No developer assumes that DRM is foolproof or cannot be broken.

This is probably the best article ever written about PC piracy:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

It's a LONG article, but well worth the read to get smart on what the issues are and why developers do what they do.

Read the article, muse and think about it a bit, then examine why certain TW decisions were made.

FC

Absolutely not. You're confusing the term "reverse-engineered" in a way that implies that another such tool was already in existence. Skypat's CAT extraction tool was the only game in town for years. Besides, game and sim enthusiasts have been creating unofficial utilities for a looooong time. Go to any Jane's, Eagle Dynamics, (etc.) fan-site, and chances are that you'll find unofficial extraction tools and other utilities for just about all of their titles.

Thanks for the clarification mate, but my question wasn't geared towards criticism. :drinks: Just wanted to make a point that we don't have to rely on TK extractor IF someone would produce another "community" tool (not for the LODs of course :grin:).

The Korea and Taiwan terrains have come up with a new problem for me.

Both terrains were fine at the March level (full merged install including NA). But since the April patch night and day are reversed and I have no clue why.

Example: Missions starting at 10am are in darkness and 10pm in full daylight.

The other terrains I've tried are not affected.

I also had the Ulyanovsk carrier working (no change to the weapons, but at least showing up in game) in the March level, but now April just crashes the game when trying to load it. Has anybody done a proper update to get it working?

As I am working on that Iceland terrain I load the game with Iceland at Noon or in the Afternoon. As to get good light on the textures. But since April 2012 almost half the missions have sunsets and sunrises despite noon/afternoon. This gives the red glow and requires me to try another mission.

Is this because Iceland is so close to the northpole? or what?

noticed that too, sun never gets 15 degrees above horizon.

on any terran :dntknw:

Modern Warfare Cuba, full five-merged install with April patch:

post-53145-0-69081800-1333731070.jpg

No problems with the sun in my Stock Desert either.

BTW, scratch my earlier comments about airfield lights not working in IcelandNA. They do.. :good:

The Korea and Taiwan terrains have come up with a new problem for me.

Both terrains were fine at the March level (full merged install including NA). But since the April patch night and day are reversed and I have no clue why.

Example: Missions starting at 10am are in darkness and 10pm in full daylight.

The other terrains I've tried are not affected.

I also had the Ulyanovsk carrier working (no change to the weapons, but at least showing up in game) in the March level, but now April just crashes the game when trying to load it. Has anybody done a proper update to get it working?

Fixed my day and night problem. The Longitude and Latitude values were reversed in the terrain.inis. Seems the game is reading them where it never used to.

doesnt explain why my stock iceland terrain does it.

because it's so far north geniuses?

stock ini globe position:

Longitude=-18.00

Latitude=64.50

because it's so far north geniuses?

stock ini globe position:

Longitude=-18.00

Latitude=64.50

Next you'll tell us the Earth is neither flat nor a cylinder, as believed by Silent Hunter developers.

well its fine now.. so maybe it was a random occurance.

Next you'll tell us the Earth is neither flat nor a cylinder, as believed by Silent Hunter developers.

in fact it's cube and we're on the inside, with sun in the centre; ever wondered why there is the Wall in every map? So we don't fly straight into other sides where other terrains are

ain't it obvious now?

SZ, check Baltika's Iceland map, it has very similar low over horizont sun

LOL....you guys.....need a crash course in celestial navigation.

Last week, Wrench and I were dicussing how TK at least made an attempt to accurately model the sky. To prove this, we set the latitude to -40 south, and checked out the night sky, with the date set for late May, centered on the area of the Southern Cross (Crux Australis). The lines were drawn in for clarity (of course :cool: ):

SF2southernCross.jpg

Here's a section from a celestial map of the same area of the sky:

609px-Crux_IAU.svg.png

only one image is mirrored left-to-right, perhaps due to being taken below equator :wink:

I think alot of older sims had it right too :good: