Hey friend any updates? If you are feeling burnt out or need a helping hand just shoot me a PM, I am sure the whole CombatAce community is waiting for this awesome bird you are making!

• Like 1

Hey friend any updates? If you are feeling burnt out or need a helping hand just shoot me a PM, I am sure the whole CombatAce community is waiting for this awesome bird you are making!

Hello Centurion-1. Actually I've been trying to post for a while but haven't been able to do so; I think I can now. Well, I've just updated to an i5 rig with plenty of more ram and a 64 bit windows 7. Had a hard time re-installing all my relevant software but I'm now done and feel so relieved!!!

Have also just re-installed my TW titles and am getting the feel of the sim again:)

All my files in max open as they should and the 64 bit photoshop is handling all my excessively detailed 4095x4095 textures really easily!!

Cockpit work is almost finished (not posting yet .. a bit of a surprise for a bit later ..

Things are back on track and be sure I'm going to need your help soon. Thanks for the interest and offer:) Will be calling on you pm soon.

Kind regards

Edited by sophocles
  • Like 1

Can't wait for this one thanks for all you do sophocles :-)

Can't wait for this one thanks for all you do sophocles :-)

I appreciate the support Dag, I'm determined to finish this!

• Like 4

:-D

Great !!!!

Hello all! I'm now progressing again; I am reluctant to post progress pics as I don't know if you're interested in the build process .. maybe you'd prefer updates close to the

projects release? (don't want to bore you..)

Anyway, here's how she looks today!

post-37542-0-11333700-1373043604_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Awesomely good! I very much like the way your modeling is so clean, it looks very life-like!

Awesomely good! I very much like the way your modeling is so clean, it looks very life-like!

Thankyou friend :) Can't wait for the F1!

By the way, does anybody know how to get dynamic shadows in the cockpit?

Paladrian had suggested including the cockpit model into the main model .. but I'm not quite sure I understand how to go about doing this ..

Any advice would be appreciated!

Have you tried adding the opencockpit=true (or something along these lines) entry in cockpit.ini ?

Superb work Sophocles ;-)

Best

Dag

• Like 1

Have you tried adding the opencockpit=true (or something along these lines) entry in cockpit.ini ?

Hello SFP1Ace, I've just tried this and it appears to allow the external model canopy and frame to cast shadows into the cockpit .. hmm .. I might try including the entire cockpit model into the external

model as an experiment and see what happens ..

You want to have even shadow casting on the instruments itself, nice idea, but could overkill the external polycount.

pls post some results :)

You want to have even shadow casting on the instruments itself, nice idea, but could overkill the external polycount.

pls post some results :)

Second that, please don't overdo the polys. SF2 engine is inefficient as it is, especially when it comes to rendering shadows. Perhaps you could release 2 versions, 1 for normal humans and 2nd for cyborgs living inside thier 8-core 5 GHz watercooled babies? ;)

Great work BTW!

• Like 1

I can't imagine how would shadow calculations for cockpit objects impact the performance if done on the external, technically it can work in a way to put all objects that are not controlled by cockpit.ini with the external mesh and the just make gauges, lights, joystick, mirrors, hud etc in the separate cockpit lod, so yes it's definitely doable however you couldn't switch it off for cockpit only, it would be either having shadows at a very likely huge performance impact or not having shadows at all.

Sophocles if you really do decide to go that route I too hope you will make two versions or atleast test it on variety of systems before release so you can see true performance impact...

Second that, please don't overdo the polys. SF2 engine is inefficient as it is, especially when it comes to rendering shadows. Perhaps you could release 2 versions, 1 for normal humans and 2nd for cyborgs living inside thier 8-core 5 GHz watercooled babies? ;)

Great work BTW!

LOL! You know, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm testing on a vanilla SF2 install .. so could be why I haven't had any frame-rate hit on my reasonably modest system.

I'll definitely test before deciding!

I can't imagine how would shadow calculations for cockpit objects impact the performance if done on the external, technically it can work in a way to put all objects that are not controlled by cockpit.ini with the external mesh and the just make gauges, lights, joystick, mirrors, hud etc in the separate cockpit lod, so yes it's definitely doable however you couldn't switch it off for cockpit only, it would be either having shadows at a very likely huge performance impact or not having shadows at all.

Sophocles if you really do decide to go that route I too hope you will make two versions or atleast test it on variety of systems before release so you can see true performance impact...

You're right Brain32 in that the external model would end up being a very .. very high poly model, but couldn't we like make this, the preposterously detailed model, the 1st lod visible only at say 2 metres, and makethe same version without the pit details visible at 2 metres + etc.. Would that work?

You're right Brain32 in that the external model would end up being a very .. very high poly model, but couldn't we like make this, the preposterously detailed model, the 1st lod visible only at say 2 metres, and makethe same version without the pit details visible at 2 metres + etc.. Would that work?

Theoretically it should work, however that will help only for external view performance, the question remains how if would effect the performance while in the cockpit view...

The first time I loaded up First Eagles the most striking thing to me was that it had shadows in the cockpit.........what is that platform doing differently than SF2 ?

All First Eagles planes have the OpenCockpit=True entry in their cockpit.ini file. You can make SF2 jets have internal shadows from canopy framing too by adding this line to relevant section of a cockpit.ini.

Disadvantage - lower FPS and when flying thru clouds, fog will obscure your instruments like in WW1 planes.

Edited by SFP1Ace

All First Eagles planes have the OpenCockpit=True entry in their cockpit.ini file. You can make SF2 jets have internal shadows from canopy framing too by adding this line to relevant section of a cockpit.ini.

Disadvantage - lower FPS and when flying thru clouds, fog will obscure your instruments like in WW1 planes.

Ooops! Got to try that .. Wouldn't want cloud layers getting in through the canopy!

Hello all,

a little WIP on the gauge texturing.

More updates to follow as per progress :)

post-37542-0-47721000-1374482257_thumb.jpg

• Like 6