Hello all, I've been working on an F-5a freedom fighter, and I'm almost finished the model. Still have to map it, do animations etc.. but I'm new to strike fighters modeling and am trying to get all the information I can. How many polys are too many? I reckon the external model will take about 35K polys .. Is this too many? There are plans for much smaller lods.

Regards

post-37542-0-34620600-1335217213.jpg

post-37542-0-92874300-1335217244.jpg

I'll have to let someone else answer the question about poly count in the current versions of the game, but I wanted to say that your model looks fantastic.

Polycount is great, especially if yup plan sub-lods :good:

And the model looks awsome :drinks:

Hmmm I started to look into how many polys some of my new stuff has and stumbled over this little nugget

If you do the points for exhaust lights etc and hide them as normal when u export...the out file lists them also the extents...useful or what?...lol

f-4e_5.bmp

( 19) glass:

Transparency enabled

CANOPYGLASS.TGA

( 20) 19 - Default:

slimeroff.tga

( 21) Material #3:

Self-illumination enabled

slimer.tga

( 22) _4 matte:

Specular=0.00, Glossiness=0.00, Color:<0,0,0>

Reflection=0.00

f-4e_4.bmp

( 23) Material #5:

Transparency enabled

F-4J_AFTERBURNER.TGA

11 Textures:

f-4e_1.bmp

f-4e_4.bmp

F-4E_DAMAGE1.TGA

f-4e_3.bmp

f-4e_2.bmp

F-4E_DAMAGE2.TGA

f-4e_5.bmp

CANOPYGLASS.TGA

slimeroff.tga

slimer.tga

F-4J_AFTERBURNER.TGA

Point01=-2.99,-7.05,1.96

Extents

Very realistic model, great work Sophocles!

I hope a hellenic skin to be included in your plans!

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words :blush: truly honoured to get comments from some of the greats of this sim; Column 5, Brain32, Russouk2004 .. your work has provided me with inumerable hours of enjoyment!!. I'm so relieved the count will be ok. I'm actually looking forward the mapping so that I get to paint again (I'm actually a frustrated texture guy who then learned max ..)

Hellenic paint schemes for sure Tiopilotos, and many others I hope!

Regards

Edited by sophocles

Hello,

Very beautiful project Sophocles!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Coupi :bye:

Edited by Coupi

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words :blush: truly honoured to get comments from some of the greats of this sim; Column 5, Brain32, Russouk2004 .. your work has provided me with inumerable hours of enjoyment!!. I'm so relieved the count will be ok. I'm actually looking forward the mapping so that I get to paint again (I'm actually a frustrated texture guy who then learned max ..)

Hellenic paint schemes for sure Tiopilotos, and many others I hope!

Regards

Ahhh now you will find all your spare time you have,you will be making models,its very addictive...lol

good stuff

Thanks Coupi :no: Here's a hi-res shot. I've tried to keep the poly count as low as I could by avoiding too many edge loops and using smoothing groups instead. I've tested it in-game and am thankful that the smoothing groups work as they should. Am nearly finished cutting out the gear doors, speedbrakes .. should have some more screens soon.

Regards

• Like 1

Hello all! I've managed to get the gear doors, wells and speed brakes cut out. (I've only rendered half the plane..) I know I'm going to have difficulty animating the gear and doors .. haven't had any experience doing that in Max. I wish there were some animation tutorials out there fort the Thirdwire animations :helpme:

Regards

post-37542-0-36717800-1335824349.jpg

Try the Tools/Utilities in the SF1 Download section, I think there might be something there, or http://www.thirdwire.com for design notes.

35K for highest LOD is ok :good: nice model

Thanks Eric J; I'm looking to get as much information as I can. Nice to hear on the polycount Stary, and thanks. I've made a start on the mapping .. it appears to be very overwhelming (studying tutorials etc.. on all the different methods) but I think i'lI settle on some variation of planar mapping.

Hope to make some progress soon, can't wait to start painting ..

Regards :salute:

Hello all. i think I've finally got my head around the basics of uv mapping .. :no: Now it's on to the rest of the plane!

Regards

I like it more and more!!! :good:

Thanks for the comments guys :salute: My first scheme will be a SEA vietnam variant .. of course this is actually the F-5C variant with the flight refueling receptacle on the port side .. so I'll probably model it in.

Would anybody be interested in seeing some of the modified (Canadair, Dutch variants) variants?

Will post some screens later on in the week when I've finished the basic templates.

Regards

Thanks for the comments guys :salute: My first scheme will be a SEA vietnam variant .. of course this is actually the F-5C variant with the flight refueling receptacle on the port side .. so I'll probably model it in.

Would anybody be interested in seeing some of the modified (Canadair, Dutch variants) variants?

Will post some screens later on in the week when I've finished the basic templates.

Regards

... Sophocles, :salute:

Are you interested in documents about the F-5C, the famous "Skoshi Tiger"?

CF-5 and NF-5 variants? + 100000... :good:

Best regards,

Coupi.

... Sophocles, :salute:

Are you interested in documents about the F-5C, the famous "Skoshi Tiger"?

CF-5 and NF-5 variants? + 100000... :good:

Best regards,

Coupi.

Would I ever!!!! Any references would be most welcome! Thanks, Coupi.

Regards

Animating is easy,unless you have many parts such as comploicated landing gears,but in most cases linking parts works wonders,things like doors ,airbrakes etc etc are quite easy tho,if u need help feel free to ask.

two pics of the LA-15 (bottom 2 pics)look as if they have a lot of animation but mostly linked parts do it so u need to animate less.

the fishpot anims (top pic)are actually compliceted with a lot of rotation,linking etc.

regarding high poly count,I usually spend time looking at ALL meshes and seeing what polys can be deleted that are never seen or needed,on hawk T2 I removed over 400 polys

post-1981-0-63762500-1337875246.jpg

post-1981-0-83298200-1337875260.jpg

post-1981-0-32434200-1337875271.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

Animating is easy,unless you have many parts such as comploicated landing gears,but in most cases linking parts works wonders,things like doors ,airbrakes etc etc are quite easy tho,if u need help feel free to ask.

two pics of the LA-15 (bottom 2 pics)look as if they have a lot of animation but mostly linked parts do it so u need to animate less.

the fishpot anims (top pic)are actually compliceted with a lot of rotation,linking etc.

regarding high poly count,I usually spend time looking at ALL meshes and seeing what polys can be deleted that are never seen or needed,on hawk T2 I removed over 400 polys

Thanks a ton for the tips! I'm going to need some help a little later, so cheers for the offer. Love your modelling btw, no pinches or stretching.

Regards

Hello all, I'm currently having fun with the bump and specular maps .. I've still got way more to learn ..all the different variables for the maps are ming-blowing!

regards

post-37542-0-07108800-1338414294.jpg

good.gif keep having fun . It looks to be coming along nicely. good job :) Hopefully we will have fun too flying it at some point :)

good.gif keep having fun . It looks to be coming along nicely. good job :) Hopefully we will have fun too flying it at some point :)

Hello squid; thanks for the encouragement :good: .. I'm actually planning to do several HAF paint schemes including SEAcamo, Asia minor camo and the ghost 1 . It won't be available any time soon but I'm determined to complete it and share.