Sign in to follow this  
crl848

Retro music and bands reforming

I'm having a real retro week. Last night I went to see Buzzcocks play in their original lineup with Howard Devoto at the Brixton Academy. On Monday I'm going to see a performance of Big Star's 3rd album by an "all star" cast. Then on Friday I'm going to a gig by Bob Mould, ex. Husker Du and Sugar, playing his album Copper Blue as a 20th anniversary special. And I've been to several of these 20th anniversary album play-through things recently. So, are people for or against this kind of thing?

I've got to admit that, enjoyable as it was (and I'm still a bit deaf today), the sight of a load of fat old punks last night was a bit against the spirit of '77. Now all we need is the Pistols to agree to play the Queen's Jubilee.

The Pistols have reformed a few times over the years - Im sure they wouldnt mind that type of publicity stunt.

The Stone Roses were playing last week as well - Ian Brown still cant sing apparently.

tbh I played all that music till I was sick of it - today I like newer or different stuff - even those young Opera singers on BGT were pretty good I thought :grin:

Stone Roses can't be worse than Primal Scream doing Screamadelica last year. Best thing about that was the DJ and the intro music (Eno's here come the warm jets).

John Lydon is currently refusing to endorse the campaign to make God Save the Queen no.1 in the charts at this Jubilee, but I suppose having just relaunched PiL he doesn't want the distraction. Or maybe it's just an inverse publicity stunt.

The sad thing is when some bands keep playing after 30 or more years (or reform), and when you hear them it's better than most today's music. I saw live Iggy and the Stooges, The Who, The Rolling Stones Alice Cooper, Bad Company, Rush and a long etc, and they still kicks some serious ass!

The sad thing is when some bands keep playing after 30 or more years (or reform), and when you hear them it's better than most today's music. I saw live Iggy and the Stooges, The Who, The Rolling Stones Alice Cooper, Bad Company, Rush and a long etc, and they still kicks some serious ass!

I hear you bud. Last night the missus was watching a "concert" from the Steps reunited tour. Bloody hell - dancing and miming and not a musician in sight on the stage. What a joke!!!

And then she's wondering why I've been downloading so much 60s/70s/early 80s stuff for the past few years. Absence certainly makes the heart grow fonder in my case I think.

One of my all time favourites:

Well I am off to a Punk festival in July near Vienna... and it turns out that Billy Idol will be there if he is as good as he was 20 years ago I will be happy... :drinks: but its true I look at new music today and wonder WTF went wrong and then slide back into an AC/DC Queen original GnR moment and the world seems okay again...

Too bad we'll never have a Ramones reunion. Saw them on their farewell tour in 95, at least they knew when to gracefully leave. PiL is back? Hopefully some songs like Rise will be in the future.

Are you talking about Hell Freezes Over? Geez, that album was almost 20 years ago now!

Anyway, two things happen to singers: they either get old to the point that they no longer sound as good, or they die. No middle ground there.

Stone Roses can't be worse than Primal Scream doing Screamadelica last year. Best thing about that was the DJ and the intro music (Eno's here come the warm jets).

That's a shame. I used to love Primal Scream, especially around the XTRMNTR era.

Guns and Roses, never Happen AXLE ROADS is still doing the club scene at plus 30 pounds

The biggest shame is that while the current G n' R gigs are apparently great shows, it is now just the world's biggest karaoke band, besides Axl's ego which can't fit through any doorway known to man.

Having said that, last September I did manage to see the closest lineup we will (probably) ever get to real G n' R, Slash was honoured by Road Recovery in NYC and joined on stage by Duff, Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke. Had Izzy and Adler been there, it would have been a nigh on perfect Appetite line up.