Geezer

Storm Over The Sahara

actually, iirc, there's a lot of FE coding in SF2; (I hate saying this in the FE Forums for fear of being stoned/hung/drawn-quatered/etc, but for early 30 SF2 may be one of the better ways to go. Not having any problems with CR42/Gladiator/etc (of course, these are fixed-gear bird, but..)

ducks and runs..... :biggrin:

actually, iirc, there's a lot of FE coding in SF2; (I hate saying this in the FE Forums for fear of being stoned/hung/drawn-quatered/etc, but for early 30 SF2 may be one of the better ways to go. Not having any problems with CR42/Gladiator/etc (of course, these are fixed-gear bird, but..)

ducks and runs..... :biggrin:

Heh - doesn't bother me. :biggrin:

I was aware of the non-jet handling problems in SF2, but that was not the main reason why I settled on FE2 as a vehicle for my stuff. The era I am interested in is basically the last dying gasp of the biplane. Those theaters - China, Libya, etc - were in many ways repeats of the Western Front in 1918: medium to low altitude combat with unsophisticated command/control and fairly primitive bombsights. FE's larger terrain tiles makes low altitude action look better - being coded for biplanes was an added plus.

I realize that anti-ship action doesn't work very well in FE, but that kind of combat was not very prevalent in the theaters that interest me. Most of the action was dogfighting, strafing/ground attack, or fairly low altitude bombing. Not to worry - lots of WW1 ground stuff can be used in early WW2 situations.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is a help but if you add a "strike fighters" aircraft that has retractable gear to FE the gears work fine with the Auto pilot but there is no way to manualy raise or lower them that I have found.

I got this response in an email - someone might give it a try and see if it works?

I am not 100% sure but I think you can have landing gears in FE/FE2 but just adding a couple of command lines in the Control\Default.ini file

I know there are other commands that are not enabled in FE/FE2 that I turned on in the past by just adding those command lines.

I think these commands (and others) are not in the Default.ini

FLAPS_DOWN=JOYSTICK02_BUTTON10

FLAPS_UP=JOYSTICK02_BUTTON09

AIRBRAKES_TOGGLE=JOYSTICK02_BUTTON21

WHEELBRAKES_TOGGLE=JOYSTICK02_BUTTON20

LANDING_GEARS_TOGGLE=JOYSTICK02_BUTTON22

If it works, then Capun gets the credit.

Flaps and wheelbrakes do work in fact work the same as SF2 by adding to the aircraft data inis might be a good idea to ask fubar about the retractible gear as I recall he a had a screenshot of some ww2 stuff he was flying in FE2 a while back.

Flaps and wheelbrakes do work in fact work the same as SF2 by adding to the aircraft data inis might be a good idea to ask fubar about the retractible gear as I recall he a had a screenshot of some ww2 stuff he was flying in FE2 a while back.

Thanks for the tip - I'll ask him.

I so hope this is still alive!!

Ground Machine guns - we need them. Capun's vickers are very low poly models and don't fit with the rest of the ground objects that Stephen1918 has made.

Ground Machine guns - we need them. Capun's vickers are very low poly models and don't fit with the rest of the ground objects that Stephen1918 has made.

I agree that we nee some more machinegun and light AA guns.

Those ground AAA with gunners would be perfect for FE. What happened?

Geezer, I hope you're still working on this. The aircraft and ground objects alone would be great to have, but the campaign would add a whole new dimension to FE.

So what ever happened to Geezer?

He'd produced some lovely late 30s/early WWII aircraft.  It would be a shame if they never saw the light of day!

So what ever happened to Geezer?

Sorry for the long silence, but I've been busy with real world stuff.  I'm just now returning to modding, so I still have to inventory everything and figure out where I am.  The good news is that, being recently retired, I will now have more time for Third Wire.

• Like 1

OK - I've found all of my old backups for WW1 pilots, WW1 AA guns, and Storm Over The Sahara (SOTS).  I've also found FE, and FE2 - to avoid TK's tinkering, I don't want anything more recent?  I have been away for some time and have forgotten A LOT, so bear with me when I ask questions.  I also found a 1916 Morane-Saulnier Type P that is more-or-less complete and ready to map and texture.  Some time ago, Panama Red very graciously tested some new FE pilots, but then I had to check out so we have lost touch with each other.  I'm a models/textures guy, so someone else will have to assist with getting the new stuff ingame and working - contact me by PM if you are interested.

• Like 1

That's fantastic news mate. Welcome back.

Congratulations on your retirement. (I'm starting to think along those lines myself.) I'm also a models/texture guy. I'm sure it will all come back to you, but if you need help remembering details about rigging, unwrapping, etc. let me know.

Welcome back. I look forward to some great additions to First Eagles from you.

Geezer, it is great to hear that you are back again.  I remember how excited the FE community was with the teasers you had posted. 

Hope everyone enjoyed the Thanksgiving holiday?  I got some more work done on the Hurricane1 for the 1940 desert war concept.  The WW2 war in Africa started in June 1940 , but the Germans did not show up until March-April 1941.  Consequently, the first phase of the desert war was quite different from the more famous period between 1941 and 1943.  It was strictly the Brits versus the Italians and both sides used LOTS of left-over WW1 equipment, including biplanes. 

For most of this early period the standard British fighter was the Gloster Gladiator, as Hurricanes were needed to fight the Battle Of Britain that was raging further north over Europe.  Hurricanes slowly dribbled into Africa, and did not completely replace the Gladiator until the Spring of 1941.  I've already made most of the biplanes and will soon start mapping/skinning them, but still needed an early Hurricane.  I plan on making two flavors - one for FE2 and one for SF2 (with working landing gear and flaps).  If anyone knows how to make retractable landing gear sorta/kinda work in FE, I would love to hear from you and find out how to do it.

EDIT: Just read some of the earlier posts and it looks like retractable gear and flaps ARE possible, so long as the gamer takes off in auto pilot.  Additional shot shows the British line up of fighters.  Hurricanes did not appear in quantity until the end of 1940, and small quantities of old worn-out Gauntlets were used as ground attack (because the Brits were desperate for anything that could fly).

EDIT 2:  Added a shot of the Italian fighter line up.  Like the British Gauntlets, the obsolete FIAT CR32s were used for ground attack but could still dogfight after dropping their bombs.  The sexy-looking Breda 88 twin engine fighter was the Italian aircraft industry's equivalent of the Messerschmitt 210 - a miserable failure.  They were quickly withdrawn from service and the last few production machines were towed directly to the scrap yards, so I am not sure if it will be included - unless FE gamers like flying the WW2 equivalent of the BE2.  :biggrin:

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 2

yes gears and flaps will work on auto pilot. I think the biggest limitaion with using FE/FE2 for more "modern aircraft is the lack of radio and the more limited orders you can give to wingmen/squdrons.

yes gears and flaps will work on auto pilot. I think the biggest limitaion with using FE/FE2 for more "modern aircraft is the lack of radio and the more limited orders you can give to wingmen/squdrons.

That's not necessarily a drawback for the 1940 desert.  While the Brits had been trained to use radio to coordinate their attacks, radios were seldom installed in Italian fighters due to a shortage of radio sets.  In effect, the Italians were re-fighting WW1 in the air - they still signaled each other with their hands or by rocking their wings.

• Like 1

Mapped the fuselage this morning, and started making skins for the Hurricane1.

• Like 3

Tweaked the Hurricane colors today, and got started on the CR42.

• Like 3

The density of the camo pattern is a bit wonky around the cockpit.  Gonna have to do some creative erasing!

• Like 2