saisran

Funny Stories and Stupid Questions in SF2

I was playing around with the weapons editor and decided to make a cruise missile out of the AIM-54 using values from the Soviets ASM. I launched it at a target to test... then i saw it on radar locked it and decided to fire a phoenix on it hoping i can see it track and guide itself to the ASM. Well it didn't go as i expected.

here's a Shot of the ASM being locked in the tomcats radar and a phoenix being fired at it. It seems that those damn soviet Cruise missile are fast!

The Phoenix i sent out to chase the ASM decided that it's easier to target god than chase an ASM

Also a question for you kind gents here... is there a way to edit this so that the missiles doesn't go through the AC model. maybe adjust the position to lower them or get them closer together? thanks

post-71410-0-63600800-1354939411_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah here's a pic of the brave and ill-fated Fedutenko before his final moments.

post-71410-0-93155700-1354939485_thumb.jpg

post-71410-0-71958600-1354939565_thumb.jpg

Plenty of Iraqi Migs lying spread accross the dessert to lend their claims some credence.

Craig

none by USN AIM-54 tho. and me thinks the Iranian kills came via Sparrow or Sidewinder at first and retrofitted Russian missles later on. also i recall reading somewhere that the tech reps took many critical parts with them for the fire control radars when they got out during the revolution. not saying the Iraqi AF wasnt good at being missle fodder. just that the Phoenix didnt seem to live upto billing outside the test range..............

none by USN AIM-54 tho. and me thinks the Iranian kills came via Sparrow or Sidewinder at first and retrofitted Russian missles later on. also i recall reading somewhere that the tech reps took many critical parts with them for the fire control radars when they got out during the revolution. not saying the Iraqi AF wasnt good at being missle fodder. just that the Phoenix didnt seem to live upto billing outside the test range..............

From what i read. Only 16 or something missiles (probably from the group the tech were teaching the local tech guys with) were sabotaged by Hughes technicians. the rest of the inventory were safe in the crate. The news that all missiles were sabotage was over blown. Well if you ask me. those missiles was stored in a military facility and with the tension running high don't think any foreigners can moved about freely and destroy All 70 +AC and 200+ missiles without someone asking what are you doing? That's just my opinion tho. :)

• Like 1

From what i read. Only 16 or something missiles (probably from the group the tech were teaching the local tech guys with) were sabotaged by Hughes technicians. the rest of the inventory were safe in the crate. The news that all missiles were sabotage was over blown.

Yep not much to go on - but that's backed up in this source along with the kills and weapons used:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/Iranian-F-14-Tomcat-Units-in-Combat_9781841767871

Yep not much to go on - but that's backed up in this source along with the kills and weapons used:

http://www.ospreypub...t_9781841767871

I think what i read was an excerpt from this book or at least an interview with a pilot who flew the Iranian Cat. Though at the beginning from what i remember the radar was not operational but they manage to fix it in time for the war.

Nice stories guys. ACIG.org has a good write-up about Iranian Tomcats here: http://www.acig.info/CMS/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=47

According to them the Phoenix did score kills and was a pretty awesome fear factor.

As for crazy wingman behaviour they really succeed sometimes, I do get shot down from time to time when going for gun kills, but what can you do. I also manage to shoot down friendlys with Lima sidewinders ever so frequently. What mostly bugs me is their erratic behaviour to threats, esp. AAA. Sometimes they dump ordinance and start jinking like crazy, other times they just fly straight into the kill zone of a Gepard or flak emplacement. And sometimes they follow my orders to attack ground targets or air targets, other times they refuse..?? It would be really convinient if you could just order them to attack specific target types like AAA, SAMs, RADARS, bombers or fighters. In the latest patches the AI now is okay with flying down low which is great but does make it easier to force them to crash into mother earth. But then again, esp. MiG-23s with their difficult flight profile limits would probably do just that in hard manouvering at low level.

Another thing that crossed my mind RE the USN launching on the Mig-25, wasnt that shot taken at max range with the Mig doing a 180 and out running the shot?

Hardly a mark against the Phoenix as it was the only USN launch in anger and exactly the same thing would have happened to ANY other missile launched at max range.

Craig

Another thing that crossed my mind RE the USN launching on the Mig-25, wasnt that shot taken at max range with the Mig doing a 180 and out running the shot?

Hardly a mark against the Phoenix as it was the only USN launch in anger and exactly the same thing would have happened to ANY other missile launched at max range.

Craig

That's whats written in here as well:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/US-Navy-F-14-Tomcat-Units-of-Operation-Iraqi-Freedom_9781841768038

AIM-54Cs with no chance of catching the MiGs

Nice stories guys. ACIG.org has a good write-up about Iranian Tomcats here: http://www.acig.info...id=73&Itemid=47

According to them the Phoenix did score kills and was a pretty awesome fear factor.

According to the Osprey source - the Iranian F-14s were well equipped with the AWG-9, Combat tree IFF and in most cases the MiGs they were firing at had no idea what was coming till it hit them (thus helping the AIM-54 hit ratio) - the MiG-25Rs being the exception here where it could use its great speed to turn around and run for it after getting RWR signals.

Edited by MigBuster

Thank God for the ALT+N and FastForward, going 200+ NM in an A-10 gets boring real quick

Thank God for the ALT+N and FastForward, going 200+ NM in an A-10 gets boring real quick

Reminds me of the first time i tried editing campaigns to have a carrier on WOE. I Station the carrier really far and i have to cross the entire map to get to the target zone. Good thing those tomcats have really large fuel tank. Plenty of times when trying to land back to the carrier i either not make it or just barely.

Hey saisran, from the looks of that screenshot of your VDI, you've got a stray TGA. floating around in your cockpit folder. Find VDI TGA. and either stick it in the Pre SF2NA folder or just delete it. All the VDI symbology should be ThirdWire White. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Hey saisran, from the looks of that screenshot of your VDI, you've got a stray TGA. floating around in your cockpit folder. Find VDI TGA. and either stick it in the Pre SF2NA folder or just delete it. All the VDI symbology should be ThirdWire White. :biggrin:

Thanks for the heads up!

While watching my damaged enemies fall seeing what it will hit such as a small pond as if it were some sadistic game of Darts, I always find it very anti-climactic when they explode in mid-air after a minute of trailing flames. Not very climactic when they hit the ground either since there are no craters or huge parts flying, just an instantly spawned damaged model. eh, eso si que es.

wierd Roger. still no crater here but i usually see parts fly out of the damaged model trailing smoke and fire. are you running on lower settings?

Posted this experience a while back, but it applies here:

While flying a MiG-29A in a dogfight with an F-4J, I attempted to force him to overshoot by doing a tail-stand at <1000ft off the ground. What I failed to realize is that I was right on top of an unfriendly M163 Vulcan. I found myself sitting still in a storm of tracers, then in a disintegrating MiG, then in the void... :P

Not even Tu-16s?

No way to get 'em all to track simultaneously.At best, one will be one its way to the desert floor.

well in R/L the Navy never shot down anything with them other than drones. think the first combat firing was in the 90's against an Iraqi Foxbat for........ 0 kills. the Iranians claim to have made some Phoenix kills during the 80-88 war. they also claim their drone tech is real tho.................

Well, sometime ago I saw this ( http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_217.shtml ), where a Tomcat seems to have scored a Mirage with a -C Phoenix, and it sort of surprised me.The kill remains unconfirmed, though, and I haven't read anything about any such kill since.Regarding the Foxbat, then, if I remember correctly, the missile was fired close to its max range.All the MiG had to do was turn around and get to full ab.

Now, about the Iranians, well what can I say, they're flying now, and they have no missiles to show around any more, so I guess they were somehow used...

No way to get 'em all to track simultaneously.At best, one will be one its way to the desert floor.

I've killed entire squads of bomber and even fighters with AIM-54s, I almost never rely on wingmen anymore

Went on a TW only install. On a mission with an USMC Phantom, flew an strike sortie against an Iceland airfield. Some MiG-21 and 23 were taking off from there before we merged and bombed the runway. A Tomcat flight and a French Crusader went into a dogfight with the migs wich were already airborne, and as some of them were calling winchester, i turned into the MiGs. After a couple of kills, a French crusader, a Tomcat and me were chasing a fleeing Flogger, they had no missiles left, i had no gunpod, but Sparrows wich wouldn´t track the MiG flying so low (Should have got the F-4J instead of the N).

It was like a Cannonball race, we three almost crashed while chasing the Flucker. Tomcat gunned it down in the end.

is it just me or does flying solo without my idiot wingmen into a SAM field with ECM decrease the dangers of SAM lock-ons? I flew over enemy territory with my B-1B and not a single sound came from my RWR

i often wonder if wingmen turn on their jammers when i do. rather doubtful given the usual results..........

i often wonder if wingmen turn on their jammers when i do. rather doubtful given the usual results..........

I still don't fully understand how ECM pods work, and I don't know if they work properly as they would in real llife. I wish the weapons had descriptions and stats built into the menus. Do They ever run out of power?

Edited by RogerSmith

I've killed entire squads of bomber and even fighters with AIM-54s, I almost never rely on wingmen anymore

Well, I can do that very rarely.

I still don't fully understand how ECM pods work, and I don't know if they work properly as they would in real llife. I wish the weapons had descriptions and stats built into the menus. Do They ever run out of power?

I tried to set ECN to a hundred flying alone i can fly in circles over the SAM site for a while but as soon as one wakes up its the same story. they just got more late in their response.

Well, I can do that very rarely.

I believe there's still an engagement envelop to follow. AIM-54A aren't really reliable on max range. Ain't also reliable if fired at a lower alt. It's most effective at mid range and at a higher alt when the missile dives down to its target. the steeper the angle the better. I mostly fly with the Tomcat the ony fighter ever to gave me trouble with the Phoenix is the Viper esp. with the advanced weapons suite.