Dave

F-16's Collide

I'm surprised both managed to survive, and that one even managed to land. The F-16 isn't the most sturdy of birds due to its small size in a scenario like that.

Luck played its part today.

• Like 1

The F-16 isn't the most sturdy of birds due to its small size in a scenario like that.

What details do you have on the mid-air? Maybe they were rejoining to fingertip, or already in fingertip (or "parade" if your preference runs in the naval variety). I always thought the Viper was pretty sturdy...+9 Gs worth of sturdy. But since we're speculating...I've got lots of plausible scenarios.

Usually mid-airs aren't gentle. While it's possible to have a low relative velocity collision, that's not the norm. Even the XB-70 was brought down by a relatively low speed collision.

As I said, it was quite lucky for both pilots to survive, even if it wasn't for them to collide in the first place. It says the collision was around 2300, so it was very dark and I'm sure that contributed.

I'm surprised both managed to survive, and that one even managed to land. The F-16 isn't the most sturdy of birds due to its small size in a scenario like that.

Luck played its part today.

You'd be surprised how tuff that little bird is.

When I was at Red Flag up at Eielson back '07 there was a mid air over the range between an Elmendorf F-15 and a Nellis based F-16 aggressor. The Eagle driver had to punch, but the Viper made it all the way back North and I watched it come in with about 1/3 of the right wing missing. Impressive stuff. Though also on that TDY we had an Eielson F-16 taxi behind one of B-1's as they throttled off the hold short line. It pretty much flipped it over. Dug the nose and the wingtip so far into the tarmac they called a big crane to pull it out. 

• Like 1

first of all , glad to hear the pilot made it out okay

second, Todd.. in 1986 an F-15 had a mid air with an A-4 and lost a wing, made it back to base but I'm sure everyone knows this story

anyways, it really is a matter of what happened to the plane and did you notice it ;)

The F-15 has quite a wide body which must have generated enough lift to keep it flying and the pilot could compensate with the aileron on the other wing

Good to see both got out in this case

Except McD told them when asked the plane couldn't do it. The IDF then showed them the pics. :grin:

Usually mid-airs aren't gentle. While it's possible to have a low relative velocity collision, that's not the norm.

I understand...really I do. But the point I'm trying to make, until you have more information than a news clip/post...you're guessing, we're all simply guessing. Pulling theories out of...umm thin air, is great sport, but admit you're guessing. The F-16 community has had more than a couple jets trade paint at night while using NVG in close formation...scary shit...but jets recovered. AND it never made the news. I had a bud in the Eagle that bumped jets during a post DACT damage check in daylight, got the callsign "Cones" for his efforts. Another bud died when his Phantom speared another during BFM...he got distracted by a oxygen bottle fire.

One squadron mate died when he hit the ground...the accident board concluded that he was intentionally showing off for his passenger. That was the best they came up with. I bet he got distracted by the high aspect pass by a two ship that saw him pass...then saw a smoking hole.

Now rumors about the SWA 737 landing in LGA...that's some interesting stuff.