Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

Iranian F-4s in Syria?

Iran's F-4 Phantoms have soldiered on through a decades-long embargo on spares and support equipment, with the jets being maintained by the Iranian industry and parts supplied through the black market. It's thought that just a few dozen Iranian F-4D/Es are actually flyable at any given time.

If these reports of Iranian F-4s supporting Iraqi forces are true, it would be an incredibly reckless move by the Iranians as the Obama Administration has stated time and time again that there is no formal military cooperation among the two usual foes when it comes to defeating ISIS in Iraq. But that's assuming we can take the Obama Administration's statements at face value. There have been rumblings that back-channel conversations about the ISIS issue have occurred during the recent Iranian nuclear negotiations.

With the US and its coalition partners dominating the airspace over Iraq, Iran's precious F-4s would be at risk of being shot down if they even inadvertently approached a US or coalition aircraft. Alternatively, if the these jets are operating freely over Iraq, and not just racing across the border unannounced and back, it would mean that some sort of agreement has been struck between the US.

Such an agreement would be unprecedented and would be inherently risky, as Iranian fighters using non-precision bombing methods and their own rules of engagement could result in massive collateral damage. Seeing as Iran is a Shiite-led country, large casualties among Iraq's Sunni population at the hands of Iranian pilots could deepen the ethnic divides that already plague Iraq and greatly complicate an already intricate situation.

EXPAND

I would bet that the truth lies somewhere in between full-on cooperation and flat-out no cooperation or formal communication, with basic deconfliction of coalition and Iranian air traffic through assigned airspace occurring at the very least. These reports also emerge as other accounts have stated that Iranian commandos are assisting the fledgling Iraqi Army and Shiite militias on the ground and that Iranian aircraft are indeed operating out of Iraqi airfields. So far there has been no substantiation to these claims, with today's image being the first from a decent source that shows direct Iranian involvement in the conflict.

This just reminds us that the old adage "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" is really the only guiding light in that troubled region. Still, common ground against even the bitterest of foes should not be wasted, and hopefully, if our militaries are corresponding and working together on some level, that mutual understanding could blossom into a much less volatile relationship down the road.

Regardless of the possibility of easing of tensions through military cooperation, if Iran is now truly in the anti-ISIS fighting mix with its air power, things just got a lot more complicated in the skies over Arabian Peninsula.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/breaking-iranian-f-4-phantoms-wade-into-the-anti-isis-1665411308

Good to see them in action against ISIS. It is known that Iranians themselves are producing spare parts for their planes and chopers of US origin, at least mechanical and simpler electronical spare  parts. Also, Iranians are flying Su-25s against ISIS from Iraq's airfields since late summer...

More posted

Al Jazeera footage aired a few days ago exposed an IRIAF F-4 Phantom performing an air strike on ISIS positions in Iraq.

The news of a cooperation between Washington and Tehran, later confirmed by the Pentagon, quickly spread across the world and images of the Iranian Phantoms in the colors of the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force have appeared on worldwide media outlets. But the Iranian contribution to the air war on ISIS includes other assets.

An insight into the IRIAF missions in Iraq was provided by Iranian defense expert Babak Taghvaee, a very well known author of several publications about the Iranian air forces and a regular contributor to some of the most read aviation magazines.

Taghvaee summed up the key features about the Iranian air raids in an email to The Aviationist.

– 18th to 20th November, several interdiction sorties were performed by the 2nd and 4th TFB’s F-5s in the Diyala province.

– Between Nov. 20t and Nov. 23 November, the RF-4Es of IRIAF and UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) of the IRGC-ASF (Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corp Aerospace Force) performed recce sorties over Jalula and Saadia.

– Between Nov. 23 and Nov. 30, the F-4Es of the 3rd TFB and 9th TFB performed CAS (Close Air Support) sorties for the Kurdish Peshmerga, Badr militia and Iraqi SpecOps.

– On Dec. 1 and 2, four Su-24MKs performed several combat air patrols and on-call CAS sorties deep inside Iraqi borders.

– On 29th and 30th November, the indigenous Sattar 4 LGBs and GBU-78/A Ghased TV guided bombs were used against the Daesh’s strongholds and heavy trucks successfully for first time in battle zone.

In conclusion, the Kurds and Iraqis retrieved the cities of Jalula and Saadia under fire support of IRIAF.

“The Americans had full coordination with Iranians during the combat sorties of IRIAF,” Taghvee highlighted.

Indeed, although it was theoretically possible for Iranian planes to fly inside Iraq without any coordination with other air forces operating in the same airspace, it would have been suicidal. For proper deconfliction of tactical assets, prior coordination and air space management and control are required.

There are several aircraft performing Airspace Control, Airborne Early Warning over Syria and Iraq: no plane could fly undetected in the area.

Anyway, we can’t but notice that, when called into action, the Iranian air force can conduct real combat missions in a low lethality scenario with a variety of (ageing) tactical planes and UAVs: facts that could fuel a much more credible propaganda than that made of some weird or totally fake claims we have commented in the past.

Image credit: Shahram Sharifi/Wiki

Sukhoi_Su-24MK_of_IRIAF_flighting_over_Shiraz.jpg

http://theaviationist.com/2014/12/04/iriaf-strikes-isis-in-iraq/

• Like 1

I saw a statement from the administration that we are conducting "uncoordinated deconfliction" with the Syrian AF, apparently with the Iranian AF as well.

(shakes head in utter disbelief)

I got this from Pat Lang's place, 3 December...

e'>Ashton Carter - Martin Dempsey and the WH crowd

:

:

- Kirby, the DoD press person, says that there is no "coordination" with Iranian forces in Iraq.  When pressed by Blitzer he says that the Iraqi government is "deconflicting"  air operations in their air space.  That is a form of "coordination." ....

:

:

Nice camos that brown-sand looks great on a Fencer, and I'm glad we can now finally differentiate the good guys from the bad guys in that area of the world.

My understanding is "coordination" would be "We're going to attack target A and time B, what time are you attacking target C at?"

Deconfliction is more "I see Iranian jets over target A, let's go to our secondary target B instead so we're not too close."

In other words, we're staying out of each other's way because the enemy of my enemy doesn't have to be my friend if I don't want it to be...and neither side wants to be.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Menrva

View File Iraq, Western Asia (2003-2018)
      Iraq, Western Asia (2003-2018) Terrain, by Menrva --- August 13th, 2017 (First Release)

-For Strike Fighters 2, Recommended Full-5 Merged
      This is a complete remake of the IR2003 terrain once reworked and released by Wrench.
      The entire map has been retargetized and retiled using a whole new tileset, combining tiles from JSF_Aggie, Stary, Centurion-1 and my bad transition tiles. All major water bodies, lakes and some minor rivers have been hand-tiled. The Caspian Sea coast had to be hand-tiled as well. Numerous cities and airports have been added in order to expand playability, targets of opportunity and year span.

Following one of Stary's great discoveries in terrain modding, this terrain features a new 250m heightmap, the double of a stock SF terrain, allowing for greater precision, overall better look and so on; visual oddities might appear, unless you make the following change in the FlightEngine.ini inside the Flight folder:

[backgroundSceneClip]
      FarClipDistance=70000

This terrain has a year span from May 2, 2003 (the day following the end of major combat operations of Operation Iraqi Freedom) to December 31, 2018; it is designed for fictional clashes between US-backed Iraq and Iran. It's the perfect playground for a remake of the fictive Operation Darius created by the CombatACE community. Iran is Enemy, Iraq is Friendly, other countries are Friendly as well.
      The terrain won't work with the current Operation Darius campaign available at CombatACE, so I leave the job of updating that campaign to other modders. Targets reflect Real World events as accurately as possible; for instance, certain Iraqi airbases will be abandoned by 2004 or by other dates (some airports were converted to simple U.S. Army FOBs), etc. Some airfields won't be available after a certain date and/or will change name according to historic changes.

All main targets are in their Real World locations (I tried to be as accurate as possible, to the level that I probably went crazy as hell!). Shiraz Int'l Airport and Prince Sultan Airbase are beyond the Wall. However, if you have SF2NA, long range AI flights can be generated from such airbases.

Ground Objects ARE NOT included. You can obtain most of them from Wrench's original Iran-Iraq terrains, or from other mod packages.

-Credits (in no particular order):
      -Wrench, who reworked the original terrain and provided the CombatACE community with plenty of mods and scenarios to play with. He gave me invaluable advise, the tools I needed and introduced me to the beautiful, exhausting world of terrain modding/making. Thank you, sir!
      -swambast, who offered to build two high quality 3D models (Mosul Dam and Mosul Grand Mosque), featured for the first time in this terrain, it's a honor! He also provided major help in tracking and fixing common and uncommon bugs. If the terrain is stable (no CTDs), it's his merit!
      -tiopilotos, for providing reworked .tga tiles with new alpha channels. Much appreciated!
      -Spudknocker, who helped me complete the 1980-2003 beta version of the terrain, providing additional target areas.
      -gerwin, whose TFDtool has proved to be essential in today's terrain making. If the terrain is pretty accurate to RL it's also because of him. I included his very nice Airfield 7+8 Addon Pack, too.
      -MigBuster, I have included some of your great hi-res textures for runways.
      -mue, for the improved shaders he made, which I have included and set up for the terrain, and for the tools he made for SF2 modding.
      -luk1978, for a very good-looking waternormal.bmp which he shared quietly at the SF2 screenshots thread. Your mods are very interesting!
      -Crusader, who provided me with the info I needed about ODS and other stuff related to targets.
      -JSF_Aggie, for his high quality DS tileset, which I have expanded with my horrible transition tiles.
      -7eleven, who directed me to a website filled with Desert Storm related info.
      -Centurion-1, since I used some tiles from his Desert 4 Mountain Regions+ Addon. I tried to contact you for permission, but it seems RL got in your way. Your WIP mod about the Iran/Iraq war gave me the motivation to complete this terrain. The least I can say is thank you. Best of luck, mate!
      -Stary, because his tilesets and TODs are pure art, his work is an inspiration to all of us. I borrowed a few TODs and tiles from his excellent IsraelME tileset.
      -Gepard, for his great tutorials about terrain making, in the SF1 Knowledge Base at CombatACE. It's a gold mine!
      -RussoUK, for the fixed Pit LOD he made, which solved a shadow bug from the original TW's LOD.
      -krfrge and Stratos, who have shown me support throughout the long terrain development period. Thanks guys!

I am totally sure I missed someone, especially because the terrain was born from Wrench's original ones. So I also included Wrench's original readme files from his IR and IR2003 terrains to the end of giving proper credit to everyone involved directly or not.

Time to fly over the desert, hope you enjoy flying over the terrain as much as I enjoyed making it!

-Known Issues:
      >Some .tga tiles still need to be fixed (wrong alpha channels).
      >Rivers over hills and "water humps" in some areas.
      >Terrain could use a better tileset complete with brand new .TODs.
      >Nothing in life is perfect, or is it?

-License:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      Any small changes to the terrain files, .ini files, etc. are NOT authorized if you plan to release them to the public. But permission will be granted to those who request it to me at CombatACE.
      This terrain may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.
      Submitter Menrva Submitted 08/13/2017 Category Full Terrains  
    • By Menrva

View File Iraq, Western Asia (1980-2003)
      Iraq, Western Asia (1980-2003) Terrain, by Menrva --- February 13th, 2017 (First Release)

-For Strike Fighters 2, Recommended Full-5 Merged
      This is a complete remake of the DS/IR terrain once reworked and released by Wrench.
      The entire map has been retargetized and retiled using a whole new tileset, combining tiles from JSF_Aggie, Stary, Centurion-1 and my bad transition tiles. All major water bodies, lakes and some minor rivers have been hand-tiled. The Caspian Sea coast had to be hand-tiled as well. Numerous cities and airports have been added in order to expand playability, targets of opportunity and year span.

Following one of Stary's great discoveries in terrain modding, this terrain features a new 250m heightmap, the double of a stock SF terrain, allowing for greater precision, overall better look and so on; visual oddities might appear, unless you make the following change in the FlightEngine.ini inside the Flight folder:

[backgroundSceneClip]
      FarClipDistance=70000

This terrain has a year span from September 22, 1980 (the beginning of the Iran/Iraq War) to May 1, 2003 (the end of major combat operations of Operation Iraqi Freedom); it is designed for the Iran/Iraq War, Operation Desert Shield, Operation Desert Storm, Operation Desert Fox and Operation Iraqi Freedom. Iraq is Enemy, Iran is Friendly, other countries are Friendly as well. Due to limitations in the terrain engine, and not wanting to make three different terrains, I opted to set Iran as Friendly together with other countries such as Saudi Arabia. While you might see US planes spawn in Iran during Single Missions even if the 1979 Iranian Revolution already happened, it's up to the users to play with missions in the editor to fix any historical oddities.
      The terrain won't work with the current Operation Desert Storm campaign available at CombatACE, so I leave the job of updating that campaign to other modders. Targets reflect Real World events as accurately as possible; for instance, after the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq, Kuwaiti airfields are set as Neutral, enemy targets appear inside Kuwait, etc. Some airfields won't be available after a certain date and/or will change name according to historic changes. Various Operation Desert Storm expeditionary bases and FOBs have been added in their Real World locations, and will appear only during Operation Desert Storm dates.

All main targets are in their Real World locations (I tried to be as accurate as possible, to the level that I probably went crazy as hell!). Shiraz Int'l Airport and Prince Sultan Airbase are beyond the Wall. However, if you have SF2NA, long range AI flights can be generated from such airbases.

Ground Objects ARE NOT included. You can obtain most of them from Wrench's original Iran-Iraq terrains, or from other mod packages.

-Credits (in no particular order):
      -Wrench, who reworked the original terrain and provided the CombatACE community with plenty of mods and scenarios to play with. He gave me invaluable advise, the tools I needed and introduced me to the beautiful, exhausting world of terrain modding/making. Thank you, sir!
      -swambast, who offered to build two high quality 3D models (Mosul Dam and Mosul Grand Mosque), featured for the first time in this terrain, it's a honor! He also provided major help in tracking and fixing common and uncommon bugs. If the terrain is stable (no CTDs), it's his merit!
      -tiopilotos, for providing reworked .tga tiles with new alpha channels. Much appreciated!
      -Spudknocker, who helped me complete the 1980-2003 beta version of the terrain, providing additional target areas.
      -gerwin, whose TFDtool has proved to be essential in today's terrain making. If the terrain is pretty accurate to RL it's also because of him. I included his very nice Airfield 7+8 Addon Pack, too.
      -MigBuster, I have included some of your great hi-res textures for runways.
      -mue, for the improved shaders he made, which I have included and set up for the terrain, and for the tools he made for SF2 modding.
      -luk1978, for a very good-looking waternormal.bmp which he shared quietly at the SF2 screenshots thread. Your mods are very interesting!
      -Crusader, who provided me with the info I needed about ODS and other stuff related to targets.
      -JSF_Aggie, for his high quality DS tileset, which I have expanded with my horrible transition tiles.
      -7eleven, who directed me to a website filled with Desert Storm related info.
      -Centurion-1, since I used some tiles from his Desert 4 Mountain Regions+ Addon. I tried to contact you for permission, but it seems RL got in your way. Your WIP mod about the Iran/Iraq war gave me the motivation to complete this terrain. The least I can say is thank you. Best of luck, mate!
      -Stary, because his tilesets and TODs are pure art, his work is an inspiration to all of us. I borrowed a few TODs and tiles from his excellent IsraelME tileset.
      -Gepard, for his great tutorials about terrain making, in the SF1 Knowledge Base at CombatACE. It's a gold mine!
      -RussoUK, for the fixed Pit LOD he made, which solved a shadow bug from the original TW's LOD.
      -krfrge and Stratos, who have shown me support throughout the long terrain development period. Thanks guys!

I am totally sure I missed someone, especially because the terrain was born from Wrench's original ones. So I also included Wrench's original readme files from his IR and IR2003 terrains to the end of giving proper credit to everyone involved directly or not.

Time to fly over the desert, hope you enjoy flying over the terrain as much as I enjoyed making it!

-Known Issues:
      >Some .tga tiles still need to be fixed (wrong alpha channels).
      >Rivers over hills and "water humps" in some areas.
      >Terrain could use a better tileset complete with brand new .TODs.
      >Nothing in life is perfect, or is it?

-License:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      Any small changes to the terrain files, .ini files, etc. are NOT authorized if you plan to release them to the public. But permission will be granted to those who request it to me at CombatACE.
      This terrain may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.
      Submitter Menrva Submitted 02/13/2017 Category Full Terrains  
    • By Spudknocker

View File Iran-Iraq War Terrain/Campaign
      Included in this package is a brand new Iran-Iraq/Western Asia Terrain with 4 campaigns.

Three of the campaigns compose the three periods of the Iran Iraq War-

1st- the initial invasion which spans from 1980 through 81- Lots of CAS and Intercept as well as strike missions.

2nd The War of the Cities and Tanker War from 1982-1987-Many interdiction anti-shipping and strike missions similar to Rolling Thunder

3rd The Battle For Al-Basrah all of 1988- Lots of CAS, anti-ship and strike missions

The 4th campaign is a semi-fictionalized Project Dark Gene/Ibex campaign from 1970-77 with USAF and IIAF units conducting recon missions against Soviet Installations and protecting Iranian borders from Iraqi Incursions. Because the terrain doesn't extend to the Soviet Border the campaign was turned 90 degrees with northern Iraq-Mosul/Tikrit acting as our stand in Soviet area.

Includes all the required aircraft and skins including Ravenclaw's Beautiful new IIAF/IRIAF F-4's and Iranian weapons and new F-4D and RF-4E skins to match from Yakarov79!

A separate install is not required and will work best if incorporated into a big everything thrown in Mod Folder.

This mod package is meant to be an addition to Operation Darius or Operation Desert Storm and NATO Fighters 5 from Eburger68. Ground Objects from Mr Burgers packages are required for example Iranian Destroyers.

Here is a link to Op Darius- http://combatace.com/topic/74627-operation-darius-final-part-1-of-4/

And Desert Storm- http://combatace.com/topic/84643-operation-desert-storm-for-sf2-redux-part-1-of-3/

Nato fighters 5- http://combatace.com/files/file/13332-nato-fighters-5-part-1-of-8/

The Aircraft included in this mod are readily available here at CA and the thank you/credits list is too large to name everyone! See the credits list for NATO Fighters 5 that should cover everyone!

A HUGE thanks to Blaze for Letting me tinker with his new Western Asia Terrain to make it Perfect for an Iran-Iraq War Campaign!

This Mod is a combination of many people's work here at CA thank you everyone who helps contribute to the Community!

I am by no means an expert but I have had a blast putting this together over the last few months if someone can add more realism to the campaigns PM me and let know! I hope everyone enjoys this!
      Submitter Spudknocker Submitted 01/29/2017 Category User Made Campaigns  
    • By dtmdragon

View File 'Rivet Haste’ F-4E USAF pack add-on
      F-4E project ‘Rivet Haste’ add-on for ravenclaw_007 and Co’s F-4E USAF pack 2.0

2.0 Updates/ corrections

- Corrected tail tip color from green to red/ orange.
      - Added historicly correct small serial numbers to tail fin
      - Big thanks to mppd for the color reference photos (I could only find a single black & white one) and historical serial numbers.

Included:

- F-4E_72 ‘Rivet Haste’

You must have ravenclaw_007 and Co’s F-4E USAF pack installed for weapons & effects etc:

http://combatace.com/files/file/13932-f-4e-usaf-pack/

Animation / Function

- Canopy
      - Hook
      - Air Refuel
      - Gun Vent ______________ automatic when gun is fired or as soon as the landing gear is deployed
      - Brake Chute____________ works with the Air Brake below 150kts

Features of the ‘Rivet Haste’ F-4E:

- Slatted wings. The Rivet Haste F-4 were the only Phantoms in the Vietnam conflict to have slatted wings.
      - MIDAS4 gun port.
      - TISEO
      - APR-35/36 RHAW
      - Assigned to the 555th TFW but operated as a separate flight from the rest of the squadrons non Rivet Haste Phantoms.
      - Operated without any tail codes or serial numbers. Aircraft had RRRRibit in yellow on the tail fin along with a green tailfin tip.

Hangar and Loading screens are in 1920 x 1080 , optional 1024 x 768 Hangar and Loading screens are included in a separate folder

Installation:

- Drop all files into your mod folder the way they are setup in this pack and overwrite if ask to
      - If you are unsure about the way how mods are installed, check the knowledge base at CombatAce!

Credits:

- ravenclaw_007
      - original model by TW , BPAO , Crab_02
      - cockpits from TW
      - Decals for the 34TFS , 469TFS and the original Templates from Sundowner
      - Skins for the 57th FIS made by Soulfreak
      - TISEO made by Crusader
      - Testpilots , EricJ , Slartibartfast , JAT81500 , Dast24 , Centurion1 , Ianh755 , GodsLt
      - new updated model , textures and weapons by ravenclaw_007
      - mppd

Enjoy,

Dan.

Background on the Rivet Haste project:

With the soft (slatted) wing, the pinkie switch (basically the very first HOTAS), and the TISEO modifications for the F-4E, the USAF realized it had the tools to make its fighter pilots more lethal. In the late summer of 1972, the Rivet Haste program was established. Rivet Haste would be the Air Force's acknowledgement that years of substandard training and poor doctrine had to be reversed. Rivet Haste combined the slatted wing, TISEO, and 556 mod of the F-4E and teamed them up with handpicked crews with combat experience over Vietnam. They were assembled at Nellis AFB and here the key of Rivet Haste would take place- intensive training with the new F-4Es against the secret MiG force that Air Force flew out of Tonopah north of Las Vegas. Each Rivet Haste crew were paired up to stay together through training to deployment for combat- this allowed the pilot and his WSO to develop their own system of coordination in the cockpit and carry that to combat. Six pilots and six WSOs were in each Rivet Haste group and each pilot/WSO would fly at least three missions against the MiGs at Tonopah. Each month, a new group of six pilots and six WSOs were assigned to Rivet Haste. Crews assigned to Rivet Haste saw it as a quantum leap in air combat training that the USAF had never had before. Unfortunately they arrived in Vietnam to late to score any air-to air-kills and only flew a handful of Linebacker II missions before the end of the war.
      Submitter dtmdragon Submitted 06/19/2016 Category F-4  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.