Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

Fuel Prices, back in the "day"

Saw these in our local newspaper's website, and thought I'd share.

1962, Haddonfield, NJ:

1962.JPG

1969, Park Ridge, NJ:

1969.JPG

Back when I started driving (in the Autumn of 1975), regular fuel sold for around 50 cents, and premium was about .10 more.  By 1978, prices had risen another 10 cents, and a year later (Summer of 1979), they exceeded $1.00 per US gallon for the first time.

I paid $2.17 yesterday. 

I remember when I was 12 walking to school everyday past the Shell station on the corner. Regular gas was $0.29. That was 1969. I don't remember it changing much for several years. That was back when our economy wasnt manipulated by speculators. The summer of '74 I had my first real job working at the local truckstop. Gas was $0.49. I remember on payday I could put a half tank of gas in my '66 Malibu, buy a can of Copenhagen, and take my girl out for dinner and a movie all on $20! After the movie, we'd cruise Speedway Blvd for awhile, then go sit on "A" mountain and neck for awhile...lol. Now you can't even park up there I understand. Yeah, things have gotten so much better.

In France, Gazoline ("SP 98")

Around... 1.35 Euros per Liter in France or  5.75 USD per Gallon!

Taxes and... taxes! :deadhorse:

• Like 1

I remember when I was 12 walking to school everyday past the Shell station on the corner. Regular gas was $0.29. That was 1969. I don't remember it changing much for several years. That was back when our economy wasnt manipulated by speculators. The summer of '74 I had my first real job working at the local truckstop. Gas was $0.49. I remember on payday I could put a half tank of gas in my '66 Malibu, buy a can of Copenhagen, and take my girl out for dinner and a movie all on $20! After the movie, we'd cruise Speedway Blvd for awhile, then go sit on "A" mountain and neck for awhile...lol. Now you can't even park up there I understand. Yeah, things have gotten so much better.

Pcpilot, I recall once pulling into a no-name (independent) gas station sometime in late 1977. I was driving a 1969 Mustang, and it was literally running on fumes.  The gas station attendant was amazed at how much gas that car managed to take into its (20-gallon) tank.  He yelled out to his co-workers "I just pumped ten dollars worth into a Mustang!"

Yep, those were the days.

Hey, anyone notice the '67 Shelby GT500 at the pump in the second image?

• Like 2

And back then only the father in the average US family had to work, and average family had 5-6 members, compared to todays 3-4 members where even the kids have to work for the same family standard. The same happened in Europe. 

I paid £1.05 per litre yesterday and that's the cheapest its been since 2010, £1.05 per litre works out at $6.11 per gallon.... I was over the moon at that  :blink:

Granted the bulk of it over here is tax, take that out the equation and its about $3 something

Craig

Gazoline 98 evolution:

Euros per Liter:

0.85 in January 1995

1.00 in January 2005

1.35 in January 2015

Taxes (TIPP, TVA, etc...) = 57%/L

Fortunately I'm using a little car, Alfa Romeo 147 (1.6 TS/120ch.)

Komrad.

Edited by Coupi

Someone had the nerve to say tha low gas prices meant the loss of jobs ... um didn't high gas prices create more unemployment as people were not able to commute to work?

Hey, anyone notice the '67 Shelby GT500 at the pump in the second image?

Do you happen to own that car?

I

Someone had the nerve to say tha low gas prices meant the loss of jobs ... um didn't high gas prices create more unemployment as people were not able to commute to work?

Do you happen to own that car?

Don't I wish!  According to the NJ Star Ledger, that image was taken in 1969.

1,32€ per liter .... I would be happy to have US Gas price here :big_boss:

I just paid $1.89 US per gallon.  That translates to .44 Euros per liter.

how much tax do you pay for a car per year in the US?

There's no annual tax on vehicles in my state.  You pay state sales tax when you first purchase it, and that's it. Some will argue that the annual vehicle registration is actually a tax (and I will not argue with that).  I pay $71.50 per year to register my truck. Here is the break down of registration fees in NJ:

1970 or older Under 2,700 lbs.
$35.50
1970 or older 2,700 lbs. - 3,800 lbs.
$44.50
1970 or older Over 3,800 lbs.
$65.50
1971 – 1979 Under 2,700 lbs.
$38.50
1971 – 1979 2,700 lbs. - 3,800 lbs.
$49.50
1971 – 1979 Over 3,800 lbs.
$72.50
older than 2 years Under 3,500 lbs.
$46.50
within 2 years Under 3,500 lbs.
$59.00
older than 2 years Over 3,500 lbs.
$71.50
within 2 years Over 3,500 lbs.
$84.00
older than 2 years Commuter Van**
$71.50
within 2 years Commuter Van**
$84.00

When I was in Highschool I could fill my motorcycle for 0.80 cents with premium. I sold LowLead at the Gulf station I worked at for 0.24 cents a gallon. Now I walk to work. Yup things are better.

Best thing I ever found was a USAF advertisement for B-47 pilots....about 1955 I think. 5000$ a year salary ... and that's on top of the three headed monster training where all crew members had to train for all duties on that plane. McGill's new book goes into that ...the training, didn't write about the pay. mmm

Best thing I ever found was a USAF advertisement for B-47 pilots....about 1955 I think. 5000$ a year salary ... and that's on top of the three headed monster training where all crew members had to train for all duties on that plane. McGill's new book goes into that ...the training, didn't write about the pay. mmm

So an old Ford ad from that very year.  It stated that one could finance a '55 Ford for $55 down and payments would be $55 per month for three years.

Edited by Fubar512

I paid $2.17 yesterday.

I'm happy. Been under 2.25 except right by the interstate for over a month now. One day was actually below 2 but its creeping back up again

The Netherlands, today....

€1,55 per liter!!!

Has been up to almost €1,80 a few years ago and will steadily rise to that level again....
Government taxes it hugely (the fuel price is made of about 60 or 70 % taxes, and

a microscopic profit margin for the company) and is happy for all the petrolheads
here....

• Like 1

@ Fubar .. interesting tax system, here in Germany you pay for each cubic cm of your engine and the exhaust classification is the multiplayer for it. ( Hope its the right word)

So I pay for a 1.9l engine and Euro2 classification around 140€ each year... Euro 5 and 6 are the new standarts, that pay alot less then me .. but the good thing is, its easier to attach a Turbo on a Euro 2 than Euro 6 engine :-P you can be dirtier

@ Fubar .. interesting tax system, here in Germany you pay for each cubic cm of your engine and the exhaust classification is the multiplayer for it. ( Hope its the right word)

So I pay for a 1.9l engine and Euro2 classification around 140€ each year... Euro 5 and 6 are the new standarts, that pay alot less then me .. but the good thing is, its easier to attach a Turbo on a Euro 2 than Euro 6 engine :-P you can be dirtier

That would be bad for me, as I have a 5.2 liter engine in my truck.

The strange thing is .. you can get a new Mustang 2014/15 in the States for around 20K € ... and you pay here for the same car around 40 - 45k€ + each year the tax ... Bad time for Muscle Cars in Europe ... I love the V8 sounds :)

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

The strange thing is .. you can get a new Mustang 2014/15 in the States for around 20K € ... and you pay here for the same car around 40 - 45k€ + each year the tax ... Bad time for Muscle Cars in Europe ... I love the V8 sounds :)

A base Mustang has a 3.7 Liter, 305 HP V6 and retails for $23,800 US.  To get a V8 in that car, one needs to upgrade  to the Mustang GT (5 liter V8, 435 HP), which retails for $32,300 here in the 'States.

Both cars have a highway MPG figure that allows them to avoid the one-time gas guzzler tax (they must exceed 22.5 MPG)

Well, here in Italy the gasoline price is now around 1,5€/L but 2 years ago in summer was up to near 2€/L. And the annual tax for a small car with a mere 1 liter engine of 43KW and Euro 4 standard is around 110 €.

Good thing is that you can go for 25Km with a liter. :biggrin:

Edited by Spillone104

Well, here in Italy the gasoline price is now around 1,5€/L but 2 years ago in summer was up to near 2€/L. And the annual tax for a small car with a mere 1 liter engine of 43KW and Euro 4 standard is around 110 €.

Good thing is that you can go for 25Km with a liter. :biggrin:

My truck returns between 8-9 KM/Liter commuting back and forth from work. My daily round trip commute is 100 miles/160 KM.