Took a break from the CR42 and made a batch of 1940 desert bombs.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 2

Looks great. 

Is it possible to split the bombay or fake two bombays in the data.ini file so that a mix of ordinance can be carried?

Looks great. 

Is it possible to split the bombay or fake two bombays in the data.ini file so that a mix of ordinance can be carried?

Dunno, but I can ask Wrench or maybe RAVEN and find out.

The skins for the late-war version are done.  Next, will finish the early-war skins and the cockpit.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

• Like 1

The 3-color camo versions have been sent to the testers for evaluation.  The aircraft shown are the "pure" early-war version without sand filter or bomb racks.  First three shots are of desert markings used in Libya, and the last three shots are of BoB markings used in Belgium.  Baffmeister has been especially helpful in developing a new FM for SF2 - looks like it will also work in FE2.

• Like 5

Progress report: a couple of guys are testing what I hope is the final version while I tinker with pilots, sound files, cockpit, etc.

• Like 1

Got most everything working, though using Vickers guns as stand-ins for Bredas.  Still working on that....

• Like 2

Also developing Euro versions of the British and Italian pilots.  Shot below shows Italian WIP dressed up for the BoB.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 2

The farther the more impressive! When you have finished your Falco, it will not be almost equal in the game. And if you take the time to complete all planned by you (including models for WWI) it will be great. Thank you!

Making good progress on the cockpit.  The instruments themselves are accurate, but the instrument faces are bogus - I couldn't fine any good examples that matched my CR42 references.

Edited by Geezer

I've found something in my old books! I don't know if this could be useful... :bye:

post-21538-0-67642900-1431212260_thumb.jpg

post-21538-0-38346800-1431212271_thumb.jpg

post-21538-0-79332700-1431212279_thumb.jpg

post-21538-0-97443300-1431212289_thumb.jpg

Edited by Coupi

Thank you - those photos are a bit better than the photos I am using.  The problem is the art for the instrument faces, or dials.  I can't find any art that looks like the faces/dials shown in the photos.  Lots of US, British, or German art for faces/dials but the art does not look like the Italian faces/dials.

what about Stary's 'generic' cockpit pack ... there's one that's a "Italian" cockpit

below is cockpit #2, his #4 is an open pit

what about Stary's 'generic' cockpit pack ... there's one that's a "Italian" cockpit

below is cockpit #2, his #4 is an open pit

Thanks!  I may wind up using those.  Shots below show instrument faces art adapted from an Osprey pub - I've written the author to see if I can get permission to "borrow" the instrument art.

• Like 2

While waiting to hear back from these guys - http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/- I've started upgrading my old Gladiator to reflect lessons learned on the CR42 and Hurricane.

• Like 1

Got an encouraging reply from the author of the Osprey pub - see below.  Will contact the illustrator next.  Shown are three of the author's attached shots.

Dear Robert,

Sorry for my late reply but I travel a lot at work and haven’t been at home for some time. Your work look marvellous!

With regards to the illustrator, his name is Jim Laurier

I would be very interested to see your finished work!

Included are some cockpit pictures from the Swedish Air Force Museum on the cockpit on the Gladiator, Hart and CR.42. All three aircraft is in fairly stock mode – especially the CR.42.

Best wishes/Håkan

Från:
Skickat: den 12 maj 2015 15:39
Till:

Ämne: Re: Permission To Adapt Artwork - Followup #2

A little more background. 

Making game aircraft is my retirement hobby - I combine my love of aviation history with computer game technology to stay mentally active.  I have both of your Desert Prelude publications and they inspired me to make a complete mod recreating the 1940 campaign in Libya/Egypt.  This is a long term project that will probably take 1-2 years to complete, and the CR42 is the first biplane of many that I have made for the mod.

Edited by Geezer

Most Excellent!!

Gladiator and Hart pics show several German instruments (Airspeed, VSI, turn needle/slip ball) which was Swedish AF specific.

CR.42 is all Italian instrumented. Inclusive the gun ammo counters in the center below the compass.

YeeHaw!!!  :biggrin:

Hi Robert -

Apologies for my tardy reply but I'm quite busy lately. Please use my artwork for the CR42 instrument panel and, if you would, include
a credit for me somewhere - like, "artwork by Jim Laurier" (or "inspired by artist Jim Laurier",  etc.) and include    www.jimlaurier.com.

Thanks

Jim Laurier

Jim did an outstanding job illustrating the Osprey pub Gladiator vs CR42 Falco - highly recommended for excellent techno-descriptions, historical campaigns, and outstanding graphics.   http://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-CR-42-Falco-1940-41-Duel/dp/1849087083

Another shameless plug for Gladiator vs CR42 Falco - an example of Jim's artwork.  Great stuff - white scarves, wheel spats, and wind in the wires!

Edited by Geezer

Made the damage art - holes in fabric or metal have different appearance.

• Like 3

Progress shots of cockpit.  Almost done.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 1

Cockpit is done.  Considering the fisheye camera view, and resulting distortion, I don't think it was worth all the effort it required.

• Like 3

I think it look good.

the cropped visibility may just be a function of the having those upper wings in the way. The same issue as the SF2 versions!

I think it look good.

the cropped visibility may just be a function of the having those upper wings in the way. The same issue as the SF2 versions!

Thanks.  What bothers me is the throttle and control consoles - seen when looking down into the cockpit - appear more distant than they actually are.  They are located only two feet below the camera, so they should not seem so small - they should appear to be closer.

Should be ready soon - perhaps this weekend?  One of several reasons why this has taken so long is I had to learn lots of new stuff.  Am currently busy with sound files and new pilots.  The good news is most of this stuff can be rolled into future aircraft without any more development time.  Shots below of hangar and loading screens, plus the new Italian Euro pilot.  Guido comes in two flavors: with and without an oxygen mask.

• Like 3