Sign in to follow this  
firehawkordy

Still Kicking

Well, I thought I'd let you all know I'm still upright and mobile. One of the reasons I kind of dropped off the radar here is just plain being lazy but if things had got real bad for me I'm pretty sure that Dave would have let everyone here know my status. If he doesn't he does now.

Well first things first, last year around this time I decided 26 years of civil service I retired from the County Of Kern, Bakersfield Ca. No dinner no big goodbye, I just woke up one morning with an aching back and said to myself, "self, it's not fun any longer and I ain't any younger. Lets see what I get retired". Well I found that I'm getting about what I my net was without working so I took terminal leave, packed up my desk and potted plant, turned in my keys and ID and quietly left. I still visit and my friends still there are always telling me that I made a good choice as too many changes and cutback have really hurt morale and as a Union Steward I would have been in tears.

So, I've been playing Strike Fighters and it's successors, still fun despite their age. Messing around with FSX and Train Simulator 2015, another couple of favorites as well as playing Fallout NV and some other sandbox games. I'm also slowly easing back into model building and making dioramas, my scale is still 28mm and 1/72, when I get something good built up I'll post the pics. My days oaf playing Warhammer 40K are done, no real good venues to play locally and the sets and even books are too expensive, I'll still do conversions and build a kit for what it is, a model kit, but my IG army is retired and those troops are settling a newly claimed world. Maybe a diorama showing some of them taming the wildlands would be a good idea for later.

At the moment I'm reading a lot of fanfiction and even helping out a couple of authors with ideas, background info ( two of them are writing alternitive universes for an anime where the hero grows up to be a soldier on this earth instead of his home world ) and some minor editing. Never thought that I would be able to edit anything considering my poor English grades while in school. Thankfully as an adult I had to write business letters with proposals and reports and briefings while in the Navy and Civil Service. I'm also waiting to hear back from a guy about a story he put up for adoption, hopefully I can take it over and do a re-write. If I get it I may post some stuff here to give you all a taste.

If that is not all I've got on my plate, in March my yougest girl presented my wife and I with grandson #4, grandchild #7. This one lives with us so I'm not only grandpa but the duty babysitter. His dad is pretty much worthless and is doing time in the county lock-up so by the time he's free the kid will have bonded with me insread of him. Best part is that since the worthless SOB is in the jug my daughter went out and found herself a job, her first, after a day of looking. She got her first paycheck the other day and is very proud of herself. With her actually working I have no problem looking after the baby. He loves listening to what ever I have playing on the radio or CD player so his musical tastes are going to be really messed up, he loves 1940's swing and late 70's punk.

Only bad that's happened is being taken to the hospital I worked in at the end of Jan. I somehow messed up with my BP meds and OD'd one night. I woke up with my hearing and balance all messed up so we went to urgent care. They told me my BP was danger low and I had to go to the ER. When I got there all the staff that knew me took over my care. After about 3 hours with no improvement, I was actually getting worse, they told me that my kidneys had shut down and my liver was going to be next. The doc said he had one last thing to try if it didn't work, well...

I got hit with a drug called Narcam, it basically purges any and all chemicals from your body and it is one of the worst things I have ever gone through. I actually thought that the treatment backfired and I was dying. Anyways, they got me calmed down and moved only to tell me that I needed to go through it again, this time the doc told me outright if it was not done I was going to die, nothing else was going to work at that point. Well one more ride through hell and my heart rate and BP started to rise. All in all it took 5 days in the hospital, 1 in the ER, 2 in ICU and 3 on the unit before I was stable enough to go home. It took almost a month before my kidneys recovered and at almost 6 months down the line I still feel like crap some days. Hell, it took almost a month before I logged back on to Face Book and before I was on daily.

Anyway, that's my story as to why I've been missing and what I've been doing to with my time and I'm sticking to it. I might, just might get a new paid membership so I can mod SF some more, but with Fallout 4 in the pipe my gaming choices are going to get tougher. Hopefully you all will forgive my dissapearence this time around and I'll try to post more often. I am saddened about Jug, he was a great guy and as I said in his thread, one of the ones that made me feel at home here when I first showed up on the BioHaz's doorstep.

Firehawkordy:

It's great to hear from you again so everyone here knows you are doing well.  Nice update, until you got to the big medical adventure part!  At the risk of stating the obvious, take really good care of yourself.   

Glad to hear from you FireHawk - and extra glad you have managed to fight off some major life issues!  

About time for a bit of gaming fun at last  :beach:

Hey Firehawk buddy, glad you're still kicking :) take care of yourself.

Falcon

good to hear from you again! glad things are getting better!

Glad to see you around here my friend! 

If that's not a cautionary tale to take your meds at the proper times and dosages, I don't know what else is! Some are no big deal if you take too few or too many, but others don't give you that leeway.

Fortunately you got the help you needed when you needed it and pulled through! Bravo on going to urgent care and not "toughing it out" at home. Then that grandkid #7 wouldn't have you around to show him the good music. :wink: