MigBuster

Hawker Hunter T7 goes down at airshow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34027260

A Hawker Hunter plane has crashed into several vehicles after coming down at Shoreham Airshow in West Sussex.

Sussex Police said there are several casualties, but could not give details on their condition.

The plane crashed into vehicles on the nearby A27. The road is likely to remain closed for several hours.

Eyewitness Stephen Jones said the plane was performing a loop but did not complete the manoeuvre and crashed. Police said it ended up in a bush.

He said: "The aeroplane involved is a Hawker Hunter T mark 7. And he'd just begun his flying display.

"He'd gone up into a loop and as he was coming out of the loop I just thought, you're too low, you're too low, pull up.

"And he flew straight into the ground either on or very close to the A27, which runs past the airport."

edit Looks bad RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=52&v=pvHplYmh2f8

Edited by MigBuster

sad incident.. :\

the worst part to see the cars that drive near the crash and had no idea what's coming..

Once again, performing aerobatics in a 50 year old + aircraft.

I have a feeling, he'll be the last

Once again, performing aerobatics in a 50 year old + aircraft.

I have a feeling, he'll be the last

Tragic - 7 reported dead and headline news - you might not be far off. 

Makes me shiver when you consider the fact that I was watching the exact same aircraft perform the exact same manoeuvres here in Shannon about three weeks ago. Condolences to all the affected families......

Tragic, true. With such a high-speed shock and fireball, I prefer not to imagine what the remains look like... Always makes the mourning more painful.

Incredibly, the pilot is still alive..though in a critical condition

Poor guys...

I would not want to play the beggars or be the usual faultfinder, but don't you find that the maneuver was started low and the recovery slow?

What a tragedy.

I have flown from Shoreham airfield, which makes this crash all the more painful and real for me.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who have died.

Pilot Andy Hill is in critical. A former jump jet pilot.

RIP to all the lost souls

Poor guys...

I would not want to play the beggars or be the usual faultfinder, but don't you find that the maneuver was started low and the recovery slow?

That was my reaction. I'm no expert but I was surprised, at how low he started the loop. And the manouevre itself seemed sluggish from quite early on, as if he didn't have enough airspeed going into it. Maybe the engine faltered. What a mess.

• Like 1

This honestly freaked me out.

Last I heard 14 dead.

He had to mis calcuate his alt.

looks like 100 meters more.

He hit tail first too.

Edited by CrazyhorseB34

That was my reaction. I'm no expert but I was surprised, at how low he started the loop. And the manouevre itself seemed sluggish from quite early on, as if he didn't have enough airspeed going into it. Maybe the engine faltered. What a mess.

Yup looked too low and entry seemed too slow...

Vintage jets will not be allowed to perform "high-energy aerobatics" over land at air shows after the Shoreham crash, regulators have said.

The Civil Aviation Authority said such planes would be "limited to flypasts", and all Hawker Hunter jets have been temporarily grounded.

At least 11 people died after a Hawker Hunter crashed into traffic on the A27 in West Sussex on Saturday.

A crane has removed plane wreckage and police say more victims could be found.

Assistant Chief Constable Steve Barry of Sussex Police said: "As a result of lifting the jet, we have not discovered any evidence of further victims and our estimate of 11 highly likely victims remains in place.

"However, until we have fully completed the search of what is an extensive scene, I must caution that there is still the possibility that we may discover evidence of further victims, but I am not prepared to speculate on that figure."

Meanwhile, a spokesman for CAA said the flying restrictions would remain in place until further notice, and it would be conducting "additional risk assessments on all forthcoming civil air displays".

The regulator stressed that individual display pilots were only granted approval to fly "following a thorough test of their abilities".

'Deeply saddened'

Andrew Hill, the pilot of the crashed jet, has been put in medically-induced coma after being pulled from the wreckage.

The 51-year-old from Sandon, near Buntingford in Hertfordshire, suffered multiple injuries and is in a critical condition.

In a statement, his family said they were "devastated and deeply saddened" by the loss of life and sent "prayers and heartfelt condolences to the families of all those affected".