Sign in to follow this  
FalconC45

Upgraded to WIN10. Now jaggies appear

I retuned my video card since the upgrade default my settings but the jaggies are still there. I checked if the driver had changed and it hasn't. I'm at lost here. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Falcon

With stock?

I was afraid of this, I was looking to upgrade to Windows 10 myself and had wondered if there was going to be any noticeable degradation in my Strike Fighters game and my IL-2 Sturmovik set-up and it seems I may be justified in holding off for a while.

Do not upgrade to 10, its bloody awful, I upgraded when it was first released, and it screwed my whole system up, I think really it was meant as a replacement to Win 8 and Vista which are even worse, stick with Win 7 as long as you can mate, its stable and relatively bug free, win 10 is pointless for Win 7 users, unless you like all the bling and rubbish that MS include in it.

I have said it once, twice, 3 times and I will say it again, DO NOT upgrade to Win 10 if you still have Win 7. Keep your Win 7. I had Win 8.1 on mine (not by choice) so I upgraded to Win 10 and it is miles above 8.1. I have had no issues with it at all. Having said that if you are still running Win8/8.1 upgrade to Win 10.

Now to your problem Falcon. I am assuming you are having jaggies with SF2? There is an ini file (and hopefully someone reading this will know which one as I am at work and don't have it in front of me) where you change the AA setting to make the jaggies go away.

If you have already done that then are your video card drivers Win 10 compatible?

Dave, isn't that in options.ini?

i can't check, i'm at work too :/

Edited by stuntman

I have said it once, twice, 3 times and I will say it again, DO NOT upgrade to Win 10 if you still have Win 7. Keep your Win 7. I had Win 8.1 on mine (not by choice) so I upgraded to Win 10 and it is miles above 8.1. I have had no issues with it at all. Having said that if you are still running Win8/8.1 upgrade to Win 10.

Now to your problem Falcon. I am assuming you are having jaggies with SF2? There is an ini file (and hopefully someone reading this will know which one as I am at work and don't have it in front of me) where you change the AA setting to make the jaggies go away.

If you have already done that then are your video card drivers Win 10 compatible?

Before I upgraded WIN10 I had 8.1. About the option.ini, I thought you had to disable the in-game AA so the card's functions could work. So I need to turn it back on. Is this mean I can't improve the quality the graphics via my card's GUI? That sucks big time. And yeah I'm getting ticked here.

Falcon

Anything I say about computers should be considered suspect but from my experience, you can't force additional AA by using the Nvidea software. What you can do is try editing the ThirdWire options ini and bump up the AntiAliasing setting from 4 to 8. Then set the Nvidea software to application controlled. iirc, that worked for me when doing some testing. Ultimately, I ended up staying with 4X AA and used an application called Nvidea Inspector to access a feature called sparse grid super sampling that gives better AA but with a bit of a frame rate hit.

Edited by baffmeister

Anything I say about computers should be considered suspect but from my experience, you can't force additional AA by using the Nvidea software. What you can do is try editing the ThirdWire options ini and bump up the AntiAliasing setting from 4 to 8. Then set the Nvidea software to application controlled. iirc, that worked for me when doing some testing. Ultimately, I ended up staying with 4X AA and used an application called Nvidea Inspector to access a feature called sparse grid super sampling that gives better AA but with a bit of a frame rate hit.

Well, before I upgraded to WIN10, I had in-game AA off and used my card's GUI. It was beautiful. I'll post a few samples.

post-5131-0-62708900-1457393480_thumb.jpg

post-5131-0-37988300-1457393528_thumb.jpg

As you see no jaggies except on odd angles but those were really tiny. WIN 8.1 by the way

but I'll try the suggestion of turning the in-game AA.

Falcon

Before continuing, I apologize for sounding as an asshole. I was getting frustrated and got ticked off. Now guess what? I fixed my problem of jaggies by not turning on in-game AA. I knew in the past that I had awesome graphics by turning off the in-game AA so I experimented the card's GUI. And here's the results.

post-5131-0-27070700-1457395497_thumb.jpg

post-5131-0-43287600-1457395560_thumb.jpg

post-5131-0-72260500-1457395613_thumb.jpg

And I will try baff's software suggestion too. Thanks for being patient with me.

Falcon

To put it simply how many of you guys using Windows 10 now and running Strike Fighters, would recommend upgrading to Windows 10 and how many of you would have chosen to stay with Windows 7 or 8

Quick question for FalconC45 or anyone that knows, how do you turn off the in game anti aliasing. Do you just set AntiAliasing=0 in the options ini or is there something else involved.

Quick question for FalconC45 or anyone that knows, how do you turn off the in game anti aliasing. Do you just set AntiAliasing=0 in the options ini or is there something else involved.

Yeah just put 0 in that line.

Falcon

Tried the AntiAliasing=0 and it disables in game anti aliasing but I still can't force anti aliasing from the Nvidia control panel, which was what I wanted to try. Not a big deal as my current settings are OK but was interested in seeing how the game looks using just the Nvidia anti aliasing.

take a screenshot of your Nvidea GUI, maybe I can help.

Falcon

To put it simply how many of you guys using Windows 10 now and running Strike Fighters, would recommend upgrading to Windows 10 and how many of you would have chosen to stay with Windows 7 or 8

Listen to Dave.

I am only using Win 10 because I recently purchased a new computer, but the only program I am having problems with Win 10 is BoB II.  Everything else, including SF2, IL-2 1946, CLOD, Arma3, and WOFF run great. In the case of my very old Photoshop CS3, it runs better than in Win 7 where it would never close properly and crashing.  The fast boot time is nice too.  But I agree that I wouldn't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading given all the privacy issue disadvantages of Win 10.   I've also been unable to successfully install Win 7 on a separate HD, and installing my old Win 7 HD complete "works" but I can't get my CH gear to be recognized and have lost use of my mouse wheel.  Obviously I have hardware and driver issues, but despite 30+ years of messing with these kind of problems have not been able to rectify them.  I can't help but think that MS is somehow screwing with me (and note that MS did say they would not be supporting new hardware with anything but Win 10).

Edited by Nicholas Bell

Don't have any issues with 10 myself...........that's not an endorsement though only move when you feel its right.

To be honest if your running the latest ga,mes and programs for work etc. upgrading to windows 10 is a good move. I'm enjoying it with work so far. However, If your running an old and abandoned title such as our beloved SF2 windows 10 can get a bit frustrating as updates for the GPU and such.. seems to be leaving our game behind.

take a screenshot of your Nvidea GUI, maybe I can help.

Falcon

I'm not even sure what the Nvidia GUI is! If it stands for Graphic User Interface is that the same thing as the Nvidia control panel? I have been doing minimal Nvidia installs with drivers/control panel only, no extras.

I'm not even sure what the Nvidia GUI is! If it stands for Graphic User Interface is that the same thing as the Nvidia control panel? I have been doing minimal Nvidia installs with drivers/control panel only, no extras.

Yes that's Nvidia control panel.

Falcon