my info is that the LAU-68D/A is used by the NAVY and the LAU-131 by the USAF but than i got a picture showing a A-10 with LAU-68D/A launchers in front and prepared to be loaded on the A-10 ?!?!

and this LAU-68D/A have no thermal protection coating like they have in NAVY use

so did the USAF get the LAU-68D/A ???

the other thing i found out is that the pods are not physically the same

- the LAU-131 is used on the A-10 and F-16 and can be loaded with FFAR and WAFAR rockets , it has a total lenght of 152 cm and a diameter of 25,7 cm with a weight of 29,5 kg

- the LAU-68D/A can be loaded only with WAFAR rockets and has the thermal protection coating , it has a lenght of 155,6 cm and a diameter of 25,7 with a weight of 35,2 kg

i need a bit more info on this matter so that i can finish the rocket pods , especialy if the USAF did get the LAU-68D/A launcher or not would be realy helpfull

A-10 with LAU-68D/A launchers

-

post-15260-0-77953700-1488904600_thumb.jpg

and now i´m lost

just found this pictures showing a LAU-131/A on a helicopter and if you check the rear of that pod there you can read LAU-68D/A  ???? :stars:

i just got a weird idea , could it be that this are all LAU-68D/A pods and the one for the air force just getting the LAU-131/A serial sticker on  to the left side

anybody here who knows the answer

post-15260-0-12981700-1488911157.jpg

post-15260-0-64467000-1488911163.jpg

and now i´m lost

just found this pictures showing a LAU-131/A on a helicopter and if you check the rear of that pod there you can read LAU-68D/A  ???? :stars:

i just got a weird idea , could it be that this are all LAU-68D/A pods and the one for the air force just getting the LAU-131/A serial sticker on  to the left side

anybody here who knows the answer

You might be right..about this.

Secret might be who is giving contract for delivery..and then if Navy / USAF can redistibute launchers in some cases between them,  or just simply "loan"  launchers if they can loan even aircraft..

Maybe just the same pod with differing designation depending on the service or...

Manufacturer produces rocket pod A with etching with that model number on part 1.

Manufacturer has contract to produce similar but slightly different rocket pod B, of a design similar enough that part 1 is the same.

Does manufacturer change production line, uses two references for the same part, has two reference for spare parts, maintains two stocks or just uses the same part for both pods ?

I'm not saying this is the case here, but that's been known to happen in other industries.

Probably not, since both systems have different NSNs. I tried looking up each pod by the NSN but couldn't come up with anything that could be useful in difference. The only difference is probably weight.

Edited by Viggen