MigBuster

Phantom pregnancies: F-4 variants that never were

Spot the SF screenshot.

https://hushkit.net/2019/02/13/phantom-pregnancies-f-4-variants-that-never-were/

Everyone loves the F-4 Phantom, a brutal smoking Cold War monster that polluted the sky in an apocalyptic belch of black sooty thunder. As thrilling as the actual Phantoms that entered service were, there is a tantalising family of F-4s that almost made it into the real world. Several of them were cancelled for being too good and threatening sales of newer aircraft — and one succeeded in its role as a unique test aircraft. Here are some of the Phantoms that never were. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, xboxman523 said:

Is that single seat phantom available for download?

Here you go...

The german single seater Phantom would have looked like this:

It would have been a simple remove of the backseater cockpit and seat and replaced them with an additionally fueltank. No air to air refuel capbility and the radar of the F-104G.

img00234.thumb.JPG.aa899c7a3b865329091b67b5e8ca4035.JPGimg00235.thumb.JPG.88a733e86822c2c17659c4c623c634e1.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gepard said:

The german single seater Phantom would have looked like this:

It would have been a simple remove of the backseater cockpit and seat and replaced them with an additionally fueltank. No air to air refuel capbility and the radar of the F-104G.

Really begs the question... what would be the point? Might as well just use the F-104 since the proposed offering was essentially an F-4 minus all the good bits.

Was really disappointing when I found out the true nature of the original Luftwaffe F-4 proposal, for years I'd imagined something akin to the F3H-3G/H "Super Demon".

1 hour ago, fallenphoenix1986 said:

Really begs the question... what would be the point? Might as well just use the F-104 since the proposed offering was essentially an F-4 minus all the good bits.

Was really disappointing when I found out the true nature of the original Luftwaffe F-4 proposal, for years I'd imagined something akin to the F3H-3G/H "Super Demon".

Behold the sales pitch

F-4E_F German Summary Report.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'm thinking more like this....

img00013.thumb.JPG.cf1c0c7097dbfb8b92fa8b0f9ae89c0c.JPG

img00016.thumb.JPG.6a953a2dc07513c8de7342c2a6909b8a.JPG

img00011.thumb.JPG.b13e5724e513e7a1bc0d0e8bcf7af44f.JPG

with APQ-94 radar.

Edited by dtmdragon
  • Like 2

Always been curious to see how exactly the F-4X would have fared at Mach 3. That airframe is going to heat up exponentially, and it didn't exactly seem like it was treated for temperatures of 800C+ (not sure what that is on the archaic temperature scale) that the Mig-25s/Mig-31s would often reach when trying to intercept SR-71s.