48 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Nice shelter. IIRC it was invented in 1938 and was used at satellite airfields like RAF Rochford.

Its called a Robin hangar, there's one about 20 miles from me near to RAF Shawbury.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, russouk2004 said:

Gepard....if you want them here u go

Hangars.7z

Thanks a lot.

Sit rep: RAF Hornchurch, airfield of the second defend line of the Fighter Command, situated near London.

First stage, only airfield buidlings are set

img00197.thumb.JPG.685cce809a1e4e441e5daef70a8e43bb.JPG

Stage 2, included a road to the village and placed village houses.

img00198.thumb.JPG.a4c7951e0d90d56e9abcb0b033b07e1f.JPG

And so it looks now:

img00199.thumb.JPG.f5ab0bb0606f13258352b31fe50b87c2.JPG

• Like 7

RAF Northolt, an airfield west of London. Later in war the runways became longer and a third runway was built.

img00201.thumb.JPG.aa21e85076c0cb4a1a8496fe6eda6d7f.JPG

• Like 5

I'm in love with those airfields. So immersive they are! Any plans on german's airfields? Cheers!

12 hours ago, Wilches said:

I'm in love with those airfields. So immersive they are! Any plans on german's airfields? Cheers!

The problem is to get footages from 1940 for the german airfields. The british are well documented, the german bases rather less. I found a foto in Gallands book "Die Ersten und die Letzten", which showed an german airfield during BoB. It was a cluster of tents and huts and planes standing wild in the area.

I will do my best to give each airfield an unique apperance.

Sit rep:

I added some more buildings and the Flak defence for RAF Northolt.

img00202.thumb.JPG.522919142d68bf861513550747ff6a30.JPG

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 6

during BoB. It was a cluster of tents and huts and planes standing wild in the area.

yeah...they had to move fields regularly late on in BoB as Typhoons regularly attacked them at dawn in pairs to harass them...and destroy a few planes...Germans insisted on clumping 111`s together making easy targets.

Edited by russouk2004

7 hours ago, Gepard said:

The problem is to get footages from 1940 for the german airfields. The british are well documented, the german bases rather less. I found a foto in Gallands book "Die Ersten und die Letzten", which showed an german airfield during BoB. It was a cluster of tents and huts and planes standing wild in the area.

Here is a screenshot from the book which i have mentioned. The left side shows a german fighter airfield during BoB:

Die-Ersten-und-die-Letzten-Jagdflieger-im-Zweiten-Weltkrieg-Adolf-Galland_Feldflugplatz.jpg.031e49b42b1e855d292aa36ebc194a44.jpg

• Like 1

and they don't show enough of the LW airfields in the 1969 movie to be of any use. (which might be too modern at any rate!)

Looks amazing Gepard! Are you planning for any seaplane base?

10 hours ago, Stratos said:

Are you planning for any seaplane base?

No. Its not planned.

Seaplanes were used for SAR missions only over the Ärmelkanal/English Channel/Le Manche. SAR missions are not possible in SF2 world. Thatswhy i will not include bases for seaplanes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

they're a nightmare to build -- the seaplane ramps aren't that hard, just use the large concrete slabs. It's the lack of proper sized hangers (REALLY LARGE) to place nearby. I know, I've tried!!! :stars:

RAF Debden, WIP.

I want to show you, how i make the airbases. First i create a temporary tile which is simply a picture from Google Earth. This will be placed on the map. From this sat picture and old WW2 air footages i can guess where the single buidlings and runways and taxiways were located. Then i place the groundobjects on the guessed position. And when all is layed out as i wish i will replace the temporary tile with normal airfield tile on the map.

And so looks RAF Debden at the moment:

img00201.thumb.JPG.1fb3a42e4204d445b536c66729172844.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great! Believe or not I did the same sometime ago. But your work is far better! Cheers!

:bowdown2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

RAF Debden

img00207.thumb.JPG.dde51bdd11867e9cf71a25251c685ead.JPG

Robinson Shelters at RAF Debden

img00205.thumb.JPG.bd0fd6e6dfe55ee6749f91ea204656f9.JPG

img00206.thumb.JPG.e8274c99563aeec3976aff6e64d080fa.JPG

• Like 6

Robinson Shelters at RAF Debden

Huh?  Doesn't make any sense and seems wrong to me - but what am I misunderstanding?

RAF Martlesham

img00209.thumb.JPG.03fe1aea01b0de86b396e7958a279309.JPG

I was unable to find an air footage of the airfield in 1940. Only a very bad one from 1946. RAF Martlesham was used from 1943 by the americans and got long crossing runways.

So the position of buildings at my RAF Martlesham is only a guess.

• Like 3

It's full name was RAF Martlesham Heath, looking pretty good to me but I'll have a look through my books and see if there's any good photos for you.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sundowner said:

It's full name was RAF Martlesham Heath, looking pretty good to me but I'll have a look through my books and see if there's any good photos for you.

Thanks for correction. I have renamed the airbase now to RAF Martlesham Heath.

• Like 1

RAF Martlesham Heath reworked

img00210.thumb.JPG.2af01da799a4fe6f140470bcd6c637eb.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1