Sign in to follow this  
Silberpfeil

AI Pilot Beats Human in Mock Dogfights

Interesting article by Russ Niles from this morning's AvWeb e-zine:

An artificial intelligence algorithm beat an "experienced" F-16 pilot in five straight simulated dogfights in a project designed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency on Aug. 20. The pilot was up against an AI system named Heron and the two duked it out in a Second World War-style forward firing gun battle.  The human didn't score a single hit. Heron, which was developed by Heron Systems, competed against five other AI algorithms for the right to fight the human in a computer simulation and the result of the final battle neither surprised nor concerned observers.

While significant, the milestone is an early one in DARPA's goal to develop a machine-learning enhancement to human performance with the ultimate goal of "a future in which AI handles the split-second maneuvering during within-visual-range dogfights, keeping pilots safer and more effective as they orchestrate large numbers of unmanned systems into a web of overwhelming combat effects". It's also not the only AI/human research being undertaken by the military. As we reported earlier, a human pilot in a fighter is expected to go up against an AI-controlled drone in 2021 although it's not clear what aircraft will be used.    

I doubt that it is a good idea to teach robots how to kill.

1 hour ago, Gepard said:

I doubt that it is a good idea to teach robots how to kill.

It is my greatest fear, instead. They are working on drone swarms, which are data-linked to fighter jets. It's not a fantasy, it's only a matter of when. This might lead to even more desensitized military actions. Warfare belongs to human nature, like it or not. If we really have to fight each other, I'd rather take to the skies and press buttons myself, not let an artificial being do the dirty work.

• Like 1

A division of Cyberdyne, no doubt.

• Haha 2