"I'd gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today"

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
On 2/22/2024 at 3:40 PM, Gepard said:

Jimbib sent me some static planes for populating the airfields:

Here the DC-9

where'e he get them from?  that model and even more so that bare metal looks mighter familiar

not trying to start a pissing contest,  that just looks like one of v2k's last projects. unless im misunderstanding and jimbib transformed that into a static via ini

Edited by daddyairplanes

I'm not sure, but i think jimbib made this static planes by himself. It's not just an ini edited already existing plane.

15 hours ago, swambast said:

Tough crowd...

The irony of your post, is it's quite interesting and your eye for detail to pick up on that fact quite impressive indeed.  And I like the fact that you proposed a more proper option.   

OK,  let's try to make it better!  I did some historical research and settled on this;  hopefully a more accurate improvement...  :smile:

image.thumb.png.459b97cb23ee02562fb4234400165896.png

image.thumb.png.f1dbbd89026861be80007c3136715f30.png

Looks good! :good:

Posted (edited)

The static aircraft I've made so far are all conversions of existing models, some of them from open source models on the web, others are from here at CA... e.g. I have converted YEYEYE's Mi-24 from the Modders Repository into a static that can be placed onto a terrain - I wanted one for my MCAS Yuma and Tonopah Test Range airfields.

For a lot of the airliners I have manually re-mapped them to aircraft mods here at CA to take advantage of the great skins that already exist and as the eagle-eyed @daddyairplanes spotted, this is why my static DC-9 looks like Veltro's as it shares the texture, but is in fact a far lower poly model.

18 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

unless im misunderstanding and jimbib transformed that into a static via ini

That would be the dream, but alas I don't think there is a way to do it with the gear animation extended etc. placed as terrain objects. The LOD can be referenced as a terrain object but they appear half sunked in the ground. Alternatively, I seem to recall it's possible to make 'engine-less' duplicate aircraft and place them as static flights in single missions, but that's a very long-winded way of just wanting to see some eye candy around airfields.

I much prefer the hybrid option of terrain object method (for specific aircraft in specific locations - think 737s on the Janet ramp at Groom Lake) combined with airfield parking for generic statics placed by the sim engine.

Edited by Jimbib
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sit rep. I'm still working on BoB2 1960th terrain. But progress is slow. This has to do with the fitting of the tiles for Guernsey island. It's a fiddling work. I'm looking for mismatches.

As example this screenshot. On the bottom you see at the reservoir that the tiles are not 100% fitting together.

img00379.thumb.JPG.3f954275bc56d1f549f287673a6655b1.JPG

This mistakes i'm looking for and try to correct them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jimbib said:

That would be the dream, but alas I don't think there is a way to do it with the gear animation extended etc. placed as terrain objects. The LOD can be referenced as a terrain object but they appear half sunked in the ground. Alternatively, I seem to recall it's possible to make 'engine-less' duplicate aircraft and place them as static flights in single missions, but that's a very long-winded way of just wanting to see some eye candy around airfields.

i dont have the bit in messenger anymore, but the frontman for YAP-RW figured out a way to do decals on statics. i forget the specifics but the general idea was that he made them as ships rather than airfield objects

last i saw he had different numbers on C-17s on the ramp but that was the extent.  could be useful in the same fashion that my tga based airliner skins are (when they are whats parked on ramp) for airliners, tankers and cargo planes (the last two rarely deploying as a whole unit in theater)

again thank you. wasnt trying to start nothin, but i did put some time in on that one there, working with Ed from the beginning on it.  heworked me out on skin and tga placement, and i reciprocated with model fix requests! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Sitrep: I'm still on debugging of Guernsey tiles.

img00380.thumb.JPG.768fae41da3197b123f3ae090af3d947.JPG

• Like 7

Sitrep:  coastline tiles are now blended with sea tiles. Still they are jpg, thatswhy no waves, what cause the difference in the blue between coast tiles and sea tiles. It will change after converting to tga tiles.

img00382.thumb.JPG.968c1657cd5970750f327d9cedf934bf.JPG

• Like 7

I have started to place TOD objects (trees, houses) on Guernsey tiles. Two tiles are done, many others have to be done.

On the right side, the TOD's are already set, on the left side you see the "empty" tiles.

img00386.thumb.JPG.dbad8a5f86d7289a157d8769d79e7f6d.JPG

img00387.thumb.JPG.7387de4b10f93f50cd16e76d34df7828.JPG

img00388.thumb.JPG.3f3b3c4bde5b31b4ff209ecc0248c94b.JPG

• Like 8

Slow progress. Placing hundreds of trees and buildings is boring!

img00390.thumb.JPG.b9bc509d6f2fd074ac6213c35bcf450c.JPG

• Like 7

thought you have 7 days to create the world...

• Haha 5

he's a modder, not God

he gets 14 days to do it

• Haha 5