daddyairplanes

Joe Baugher passed away

Sad news. His site (Joe Baugher's Home Page) is a gold mine of references of military aviation history.

My deepest condolences to his family and relatives. :salute:

• Sad 1

Terrible, terrible news!!! I literally use his for most of my research!! My deepest condolences to his family

I know this is going to sound worse than awful ...

Does anyone know of a way to get ahold of his serial database, and archive it someplace???

• Sad 1

You can't research military aircraft without stumbling on to his website. I was just on his site the other day and wondered if he was still alive and how much longer his site will stay up. I doubt he made any provisions for someone else to takeover. Which means another legendary site will most likely fade away to the wayback internet archive site.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Wrench said:

I know this is going to sound worse than awful ...

Does anyone know of a way to get ahold of his serial database, and archive it someplace???

i thought it already, we might want to start hitting pertinent searches and saving them in case we need to archive

RIP. An amazing resource for a lot of different subjects. He will be missed. :airplane:

Edited by DoctorQuest

10 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

i thought it already, we might want to start hitting pertinent searches and saving them in case we need to archive

I told some dear friends of mine, one contacted the Internet Archive so that they can store his website, the other has dumped it all and now it can be browsed offline. Baugher just passed away, I don't feel comfortable about sharing it now, especially since his website is still available. Just wondering what would be a respectful approach, I admire the amount of work Baugher has done over the years.

It's funny to read from those who yesterday literally shouted that oh! my file, which is in the public sharing, was stolen! The same people are now saying let's copy this site! Yes. The information is really valuable. The first thing I thought about yesterday was to copy all the information. I think the author would be happy that his work and hobbies were not lost. sorry for this comment. RIP mister Joe Baugher.

• Dislike 1

51 minutes ago, bazillius said:

It's funny to read from those who yesterday literally shouted that oh! my file, which is in the public sharing, was stolen! The same people are now saying let's copy this site! Yes. The information is really valuable. The first thing I thought about yesterday was to copy all the information. I think the author would be happy that his work and hobbies were not lost. sorry for this comment.

Don't be sorry, because you should be ashamed of this comment. This isn't the place for it, but since you bring the matter up, let me explain why it is not comparable. His site is open to everyone, it does not require accounts to access the info, and on top of that no one here is taking credit for the work he has done, I certainly won't. Yesterday's matter was about one guy taking credit of the work of multiple modders (mods that are not freely available without an account and that usually come with ReadMe files detailing explicit wishes not to share them elsewhere), sharing it elsewhere without any permission nor crediting to the original authors. Just because you're fine with someone taking your stuff and share it as their own doesn't mean that it should be fine for me and everyone else.

Edited by Menrva
  • Dislike 1

36 minutes ago, Menrva said:

Don't be sorry,

thanks for the dislike. But you need to be consistent. I think you shouldn't copy this site.

36 minutes ago, Menrva said:

mods that are not freely

All mods there are free. I watched this schoolboy's mod. Yes, this is really not the place for this conversation. But you need to be consistent. If i do than its right. Other person does than its bad. Now you say you copied the site without permission. Strange logick.

and you understand it yourself:

1 hour ago, Menrva said:

....I don't feel comfortable..

Edited by bazillius

7 hours ago, Menrva said:

Just wondering what would be a respectful approach, I admire the amount of work Baugher has done over the years.

his site is a valuable resource to many

while its hard, people do have to look at the what happens next. given the post i saw says November 12th, that puts us a month past so i dont think its too disrepectful to ask about the site at this point

Man I lost couint of how many times I used his site for an online reference. RIP Joe. 

https://www.crouze.com/baugher/

Joe Baugher's serial number lists

Joseph F. Baugher passed away on the 12th of November 2023, at the age of 82. He left for the "Eternal Airfields" as we sometimes like to say. As mentioned before I too never got around to thank him for his outstanding work, which I now regret. These pages are both meant to keep Joe's legacy alive, and to keep his work available for all to enjoy.

In no way will I ever take any credit for Joe Baugher's work and dedication. I do not mean to infringe on any copyrights. I'm just a fellow enthusiast who believes in keeping the legacy alive, and not letting Joe's work fade away. I will therefore attempt to keep maintaining the lists.

From what I can tell, Joe did his last edits to the serial number lists in October of 2023. All changes after that are done by me.

I know Joe received a lot of contributions from other enthusiasts, all eager to make the lists as correct, elaborate and up-to-date as possible. Joe assessed all new data and incorporated it into his website if he found it worthwhile. I will happily do the same, please send your contributions to lists@crouze.com if you want to help.

The lists will remain in the "basic" form as they were when Joe made them. But I have made changes to the look-and-feel, to hopefully make the pages a little more easy to access, and more straightforward to maintain.

Someone it seems might be looking to keep updating the serial nos.

• Like 2