LOD creation script uses a multiRes modifier. It works on multiple geometries and retains the geo type. It retains the skin modifier too, so you can run on a skinned character as well. This will make

LOD0 Highest poly count
LOD1 Lower
LOD2 Even Lower

and it will save a lot of time marking these LOD.

created by LOKO

LODCreator_0.jpg.e4399895f61b9b70525b00c4c0647def.jpg

lod_creator_1_updated (1).ms

• Like 5

Automation!! YAAAAAAAY!!!!!!

I think MultiRes will stamp ugly monsters from original model and anyway we need to reduce weight and details of the model by hand. But looking at other old reduced LODs... why not. Thanks!

Thanks to LOKO for his time, thank you for sharing!!

Edited by bazillius
  • Like 1

ok  how would we use this? could this bring model creation to the masses, or is it a specialized tool for the 3D model folks?

please explain it to me like im stupid. because when it comes to making models i am :lol:

• Like 1

This is a script to be used with 3ds Max to make the LOD files for the different distances beside the main LOD model.
For example, you make an F-16.lod (file size is 6MB) and you need to make the other smaller files
LOD1 High poly count 4MB
LOD2 Lower 2MB 
LOD3 Even Lower 1MB then this is what you need.
This used to be done manually but with the script, it will make it for you faster. 
Ps. Just be aware that it may work sometimes and may not work other times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ok

does it work with Blender, or only Max 09 (for SF2 purposes)

unfortunately only work with 3d Max

• Like 1

ok then

still sounds good for those with Max capability :good:

Great!I really need this! In the past, I have been unable to optimize the number of faces without destroying the surface mesh.

• Like 1

On 15.01.2024 at 10:43 PM, daddyairplanes said:

does it work with Blender

No , but it is similar addon for Blender. Can't remember name now, but for sure it's free .

3 hours ago, guuruu said:

No , but it is similar addon for Blender. Can't remember name now, but for sure it's free .

I use Decimate in tools for reducing mesh / poly numbers or percentage in blender. is this the same way to make Lod001 so on smaller too, right?  

I think so. Tried it some time ago, but making LODs manually is more controlable ;-)

• Like 2

On 16.1.2024 at 7:33 AM, GKABS said:

This is a script to be used with 3ds Max to make the LOD files for the different distances beside the main LOD model.
For example, you make an F-16.lod (file size is 6MB) and you need to make the other smaller files
LOD1 High poly count 4MB
LOD2 Lower 2MB 
LOD3 Even Lower 1MB then this is what you need.
This used to be done manually but with the script, it will make it for you faster. 
Ps. Just be aware that it may work sometimes and may not work other times.

Why do LODS need to be done at multiple distances? I not much of a 3D design dude but i have once worked with CAD a bit why cant it just take almost like screenshots from varying distances with same file?

It's to not have the game render the object at the same detail at that distance. Distance LODs for any game eases the workload on the GPU/CPU and so on. It's basically done to show the plane, but details aren't a requirement at a longer distance.

• Like 2

It's called "perspective", further from the viewer eye, the less detail is seen. And more imporantly, as EJ said, reduce workload on the system