Sign in to follow this  
F-4PhantomII

Falling in love with the F-8 Crusader...

Started playing an Early Vietnam Campaign off of Yankee Station with the "Sundowners" Flying this fantastic plane. What a scrapper this thing is. Fast and agile and the nature of the beast has you engaging inside VR so there are no .... "Mistakes". It also sems to have close to the Maneuverablity of the Mig but a ton more Firepower, thrust and speed. Only problem I get is the A/A Radar seems to not want to lock up somtimes in search and boresight mode. "Ugly-as-sin" airplane but man can she fight up a storm..... Anyone else love the F-8?

Started playing an Early Vietnam Campaign off of Yankee Station with the "Sundowners" Flying this fantastic plane. What a scrapper this thing is. Fast and agile and the nature of the beast has you engaging inside VR so there are no .... "Mistakes". It also sems to have close to the Maneuverablity of the Mig but a ton more Firepower, thrust and speed. Only problem I get is the A/A Radar seems to not want to lock up somtimes in search and boresight mode. "Ugly-as-sin" airplane but man can she fight up a storm..... Anyone else love the F-8?

"When you're out of F-8's, your out of fighters" was the saying back then.

great plane.

Its no secret to anyone that my all time favorite plane is the F-8. I own every book made about it. When you are out of F-8's, you are out of fighters.

Ugly? The F-8, ugly? It's almost as pretty as the Scooter! You wanna see an ugly plane, take a look at the F-100. Now that's some uhhh-gleeee piece of metal right there. (Sure can turn, though)

Ugly? The F-8, ugly? It's almost as pretty as the Scooter! You wanna see an ugly plane, take a look at the F-100. Now that's some uhhh-gleeee piece of metal right there. (Sure can turn, though)

I did not mean to offend.... ;-) The ugly comment was comming from a guy with F-4 Phantom II as a screen name.... ;-)

I did not mean to offend.... ;-) The ugly comment was comming from a guy with F-4 Phantom II as a screen name.... ;-)

For sure this is nothing ugly about the F-8....

LOL. Stepping from one minefield into another.

F-8 and the Hun are practically teh sexiest planes in WOV. Sure, the F-8 wins first prize, no question.

But IMHO the F-100 is a close second. :tongue:

Some time, and somehow, the F-8E will be coming in high rez...

img00093.jpg

img00092.jpg

I'm sort of a new member, but I saw this post about the F-8.

I flew an F-8 in MS Flight Simulator 2004 and the flight dynamics seem to be quite accurate.

Not that I have any basis for comparison, but they test those models with real pilots, they say.

Anyways, one of my favorite planes, besides the Phantom.

Glad to see it on WoV/WoE :ok:

The Crusader had the same engine as the Hun, and it outperformed the Hun in almost everything!

bibbolicious, nice skin! What terrain is that?

jtin, its the updated korea terrain.

... just that damn pneumatic gun charging and feeder system sucked big time....

... just that damn pneumatic gun charging and feeder system sucked big time....

Yep too many G's and she jammed up.

Cruds were pretty rough on the gomers too!

I would not like to hear that this new hi res model would not be brandishing the three shamrock tailband. My Bro's from the men's departement of the navy would be very disapointed.

The phrase " Not one pound for air to ground did not originate with this group

VR / CL

Edited by charlielima

The Crusader had the same engine as the Hun, and it outperformed the Hun in almost everything!

What plane is "the Hun"?

The F-8 looks and its the "father" of the A-7.

But why they didn´t the F-8 a F/A-8?

What plane is "the Hun"?

The F-8 looks and its the "father" of the A-7.

But why they didn´t the F-8 a F/A-8?

f-100 Super Sabre

As the Marine Colonel said to the SVN Capt over a bridge that was to be destroyed. "Capt I'll see your brigade and I'll raise you 4 Crusaders." At that moment 4 USMC F-8's loaded with rockets and bombs flew over. The SVN Capt let the Marines blow the ridge.

As the French Aeronavale flew the F8 E (FN) up to the year 2000, and kept a limited number in top condition, we regularly had it in the airshow circuit over here, including the one at RNlAS Valkenburg (before an a....le closed it down and gave away our Orions in the process) a couple of miles down the road from where we live, as well on numerous yearly RNlAF Open Days.

It never failed to impress immensely with its booming J 57, especially when the AB was lighted.....

It was always flown to the limits and it compared VERY well with a number of much more modern jets.

Equiped with modern all-aspect missiles (Matra Magic's) it was a formidable proposition.

An F8 with a P&W F100 engine or even a later J79 would have been a very interesting case.....

We miss it over here and I'm glad to be able to fly it in SFP1 now and then. apart form having two 1:72 models right in front of me !!

Aju,

Derk :rolleyes:

Just So Kirsten. I often wondered what a newer technology F-8e with upgraded avionics, improved powerplant, new wing and a better gun to match would do for my selfish flight sim needs.

:ph34r: CL

Just So Kirsten. I often wondered what a newer technology F-8e with upgraded avionics, improved powerplant, new wing and a better gun to match would do for my selfish flight sim needs.

:ph34r: CL

I'm not Kirsten but you 'modernize' the F-8 and give it a new low-vis paint job you might very well end up with something looking alot like the prototype A-7F

http://www.vought.com/heritage/photo/html/pya-7f_0.html

I'm sort of a new member, but I saw this post about the F-8.

I flew an F-8 in MS Flight Simulator 2004 and the flight dynamics seem to be quite accurate.

Not that I have any basis for comparison, but they test those models with real pilots, they say.

Anyways, one of my favorite planes, besides the Phantom.

Glad to see it on WoV/WoE :ok:

I'm a real pilot and NFO and I do test whatever people care to send me. This is a pretty realistic sim.

I also got a LOT of experience in SAR ops for F-8 and F-4 drivers who spun their airplanes!

:biggrin:

Edited by Typhoid

Well I am on mission 7 without dying once. I have raked up 8 A/A kills and am 1-1 for ground pounding missions. Had to put her down on a friendly strip once due to a "heavy on the burner" fight with three Migs. I have not landed her on a carrier yet... I fly back to the Flat Top and line up the aproach then end the game at about 3/4 of a mile. I still have truble lining up a bandit in my radar scope while flying the F8 somtimes though.... Wonder if the game is glitchy or the early war F-8 radar left much to be desired....?

the early war F-8 radar left much to be desired....?

oh yea......!!

I thought French Aeronavale studied purchase/loan of F-18 Hornets but either cost or catapult problems or even political considerations prevented them from going through with it.

It was probably political. Around the time that the Hornet would've been a logical buy, the Eurofighter came up. After a couple of years of wrangling, France went its own way with the Rafale. Now, had they known it would be another 20 years before they entered service it's quite likely France might have bought or leased some Hornets, but as they believed at the time it would be more like 10 years they likely decided that upgrading the F-8s would be sufficient.

Luckily for them, they managed to press on until the Rafales came around.