Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

Gaming computer prices

Holy crap, the prices are crazy now. My desktop is way behind the current standards (by 4 years) and have decided to start looking at a new system. I'm pricing something that I can game with, plus run and edit my photos in Photoshop CS2 instead of using my laptop all the time.

Even a mid-range system is at least $2K.

How do you guys afford upgrades and new systems every couple of years?

Maybe I'll try selling blood?!? :dntknw:

Storm

if you build it yourself you should be able to do it for way less assuming that all you need is the system unit & not a new monitor/kb/mouse etc. too.

Got a ready PC without the monitor today. Got Athlon 64 x2 Dual, ATI X1650 (256Mb), 1Gb RAM and a 250Gb hard-drive for about 800$. The components are not from the top manufacturers but still should work :biggrin: It manages to run stuff like Oblivion (bah!) at max settings... And my current PC is about 3 years old - half the standards used in it are off production lines for a year at least, so the poor thing is non-upgradeable.

if you build it yourself you should be able to do it for way less assuming that all you need is the system unit & not a new monitor/kb/mouse etc. too.

Agreed... buying the parts, separately and building the system yourself is much more cost effective, plus, you have the option of swapping useful parts from your older sytem into the new one, though it is less likely these days with the advent of SATA, PCI-E and about 50 different forms of RAM. What ever happened to the concept of "universal compatibility".

Yes, it is true just buy parts one at a time.

See I got 2x 1950 512mb pro, 2 gb ram, AMD 62, 1000 wats, 700 gbs hard drive, water cooling, and

logitech extreme3D pro and logitech Mx518 mouse.

And no I am not that rich!! I just got money!!

It took me about 3 years.

Edited by Erik
Yeah ... we don't say stuff like that here. EVER.

Build it yourself, I went from what had become an average gaming PC to what would be a $4,000 beast had I not carefully bought the parts that mattered to upgrade for $600. $900 counting the video card which was a gift, still far cheaper.

Buy a issue of Computer Shopper(March If you can find one) How to build a gaming pc, At a price you can afford. :biggrin:

PC also has how to build a good PC for a good price :biggrin: I'am about to try and build my own, :haha:

Also, one way to save a lot of money is to buy parts that are one step below bleeding edge. It's the law of diminishing returns in reverse...90 percent of the performance for half the cost.

FastCargo

Just look at the price of the 8800GTX vs 8800GTS.

I always upgrade in small stages myself, but my next upgrade will have to be a whole new system. I'm DDR/AGP/IDE right now, so next one will be DDR2/PCI-E/SATA. I do have SATA ports on my current mobo, but I've never used them.

to build your computer your self helps a lot in terms of mony

i´m using coreduo E6600 and two nvidia 7900gt with asus p5n32-sli premium motherboard and a creative x-fi soundcard

and i build the whole thing in 18months always step by step so far i spend around 2.000 euro and my next step will be

two 8800gts hopefully this year

Edited by ravenclaw_007

well like others have stated look at the best then do a price vs performance analisis.

i went with 2- 8800gts cuz nuthing is still close to challenging these cards in software terms

I got an asus an8 32 sli delux socket 939 and if you good on e-bay you can pick up a fx-55 for under 300 bucks

I know socket 939 is on it's way out but the fx-55 is still a smoking fast cpu

get some good ram ocz is what i chose 2 gigs with copper heat sinks

a pletor dvd burner

i went the extra mile with an arnour junior tower by thermal take and an ocz 850 watt psu

that and a 50 dollar cpu cooler

and xp pro

single 250 gig sata hdd

grand total 2500 dollars

compared to one iI built for a friend

2- 8800 gtx 4 gigs ocz pl

750 watt psu

fx-60 dual core

asus a8n32 delux

plextor sats dvd drive

2-320 gig sata hdd in raid 1

sound blaster 2 pl

and custome tower

4000 dollars plus 12 hourswork for me to get it all going

<< interjects subliminal message into thread >>

buy alienware buy alienware buy alienware buy alienware buy alienware buy alienware buy alienware buy alienware buy alienware

<< we now return you to your normally scheduled broadcast >>

Yea, I tried them first and saw that everything on their site is way out of my price range. The USAF doesnt pay that well.

I understand that periodic upgrading is the way to go, but my system is so old that it's not feasible to try and salvage anything from it.

I'll keep looking around.

Storm

The USAF pays that well if you have the right job. CES chief, for instance. :wink:

Got a ready PC without the monitor today. Got Athlon 64 x2 Dual, ATI X1650 (256Mb), 1Gb RAM and a 250Gb hard-drive for about 800$. The components are not from the top manufacturers but still should work :biggrin: It manages to run stuff like Oblivion (bah!) at max settings... And my current PC is about 3 years old - half the standards used in it are off production lines for a year at least, so the poor thing is non-upgradeable.

I'm going for a similar system, though I'm going 4gig ram, 500gig hard drive, it's only gonna set me back around $800-$1k AUD. I haven't settled for a video card yet, but even with a higher end one, that's only another $200AUD roughly.

And I guarantee my GF will fill my HD with Grey's BLOODY Anatomy and Ugley Betty within a month.... Chicks, I dunno :dntknw::tongue::rolleyes:

I'm getting a new rig this weekend and all I'm getting is the tower no need for for the extra's!