Sign in to follow this  
Dave

What Are You Doing to Stay "Green"?

Since we are the topic of Live Earth.....

What are you doing to stay "Green" if anything? Do you have any energy saving tips we can all use? One thing though, this topic is not to discuss whether you think global warming etc is real or not etc etc etc, keep the politics of pollution out of it.

My family recycles everything we can. Also we switched out all the light bulbs in the house for the energy efficient ones. Kind of more expensive but they do last longer. Also we keep the AC running at 78 degrees, that may sound warmer than most but we run celling fans all over the house and you can run those for pennies a day. I never knew that until a couple years ago. A ceiling fan in conjunction with an AC set to 78 has the same affect as one set to 70 to 72. My bills went down on the average of $31.56 a month by doing that.

Since we are the topic of Live Earth.....

What are you doing to stay "Green" if anything? Do you have any energy saving tips we can all use? One thing though, this topic is not to discuss whether you think global warming etc is real or not etc etc etc, keep the politics of pollution out of it.

My family recycles everything we can. Also we switched out all the light bulbs in the house for the energy efficient ones. Kind of more expensive but they do last longer. Also we keep the AC running at 78 degrees, that may sound warmer than most but we run celling fans all over the house and you can run those for pennies a day. I never knew that until a couple years ago. A ceiling fan in conjunction with an AC set to 78 has the same affect as one set to 70 to 72. My bills went down on the average of $31.56 a month by doing that.

I didn't know that about the ceiling fan. We are using the energy efficient lights too.

I've also installed a clothesline outside so we don't have to run the clothes drier when it's a nice day. I don't work in town so I still do a fair bit of driving, but I've started using a bike when I have to run errands around the neighborhood. That turned out to be better than I thought. It's easier to park and I'm getting in better shape.

I've started using refillable water bottles rather than using the disposable plastic ones. I have one of those filter pitchers that we keep in the fridge and the water taste just as good as any bottled water.

I don't garden myself, but my neighbor does so we contribute any household waste that can be composted to his compost pile. It's a nice exchange because he always shares his veggies with us.

It came with the house, but I do have a solar panel on the roof that heats water for the hot water system. The water pump broke on it last year and it was out of commission for about two months. I was shocked at how much higher my bill was with out the solar working.

I'd really like a hybrid car; both because it's "green" and because it would save me a ton of money in gas, but they are still just a bit too expensive right now for me to be able to afford.

I have a postage stamp sized yard so I have been considering getting one of those push reel mowers, rather than the gas one I have now.

Edited by tank03

We do similiar to what you do...though I knew about the fan's vs A/C thing way back in the 70s (a byproduct of the energy crisis and an asian mom), so all our rooms have ceiling fans.

A nice side effect of my job is that I don't drive nearly as much as a normal '9 to 5' person...so our fuel bill is pretty low since I take 'public' transportation when I 'commute' to work.

Also, knowing that number 2 son is on the way, when we looked at getting a new vehicle, we decided on a minivan. However, I was annoyed that most minivan's are almost as big and heavy as what used to be regular vans back in the day. Also, how much (with only 4 people) do you use the 7 passenger plus cargo capacity of a modern minivan? It just wasn't elegant. So we decided to buy (found it used even) a Mazda5, a 6 passenger 'nanovan'. It's actually shorter than our previous sedan, and can hold 6 people with a little bit of cargo, or less people with more cargo. We figured when relatives come to visit, we can just drive a second vehicle to haul everyone around.

Hybrid cars are still not cost effective in terms of overall life cost (ie the gas you save doesn't offset the increased cost of ownership and additional enviromental impact of long term disposal of the batteries). It's still better to just get a fuel efficent similar sized regular car.

Let's see, turning lights off when not in the room, not turning lights on if I don't need them, haven't switched to the compact fluorescent ones due to mercury issues with breakage and disposal.

We have our own compost heap/container and do some of our own gardening.

FastCargo

For the summer, I've cut my driving to a bare minimum. Unfortunately I have to commute to my university every day when classes start again. Living on campus would save hundreds on gas, but there are health issues that would make it difficult for me. That, and we really just can't afford room and board.

We recycle, but I've been totally disillusioned by the practice after seeing the truck that picks up the recyclables dump everything into the regular garbage truck :huh:

The next car I get is going to be a hybrid. Now they're starting to make "normal" hybrids instead of only these ugly little hatchbacks with "futuristic" shapes. I also saw a report on cnn a while ago about oil and alternative fuels. They covered Brazil and its sugarcane ethanol. Apparently it's way better than corn, and they're using cars that run on either 100% ethanol, or a pure ethanol/electric hybrid. What really got my attention was when a worker for GM said they have the engines and cars ready to sell here, but there were so few E80 pumps and no 100% ethanol pumps here to utilize( the quoted numbers but I forgot them). Now if oil companies would install these pumps everywhere, it would go a long way towards reducing our oil consumption, emissions and dependancy on foreign oil. It'd be a reason to buy American cars again. Unfortunately, I don't think many areas would support large sugarcane crops. But I'm no environmental scientist or climatologist.

Well about 90% of what goes out a week is in the recycle bag these days.

Cant afford a new car - wouldn't consider a hybrid because tests on current models show how high the petrol consumption really is. The hydrogen powered car looked more promising - they need to move on that IMO.

I use the low power light bulbs, dont leave lights on or things on standby - the power usually goes off at the wall.

Air con is not required in England - havnt switched on a fan or fan heater in years - also had a mild winter so Heating was off fully from March!

Well...

In an effort to reduce my families "carbon foot print" I've enacted the following changes in our life:

1.) As a family unit we are developing our ability to hold our breath for extended periods of time. Obviously with every exhaled breath we are further contributing to the amount of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere... so by reducing our respiratory rate to a absolute necessity, we are doing our part.

2.) I've banned the following foods from our diet: broccoli, oranges, eggs, sauerkraut and certain fermented beverages. By eliminating these foods we are again greatly reducing our carbon foot print by eliminating flatulence.

3.) We allow the local livestock farmers to graze our lawn. This benefits earth two ways... the beasties keep our grass clipped to a putting-green length... there by eliminating our need to run our 2-stroke lawn mover. However the farm beasties themselves are carbon producing flatulence machines... so we have taken the proactive steps of sprinkling "beano" over our yard in effort to curb their carbon-rich butt burps.

We've taken these extreme steps to allow me to continue to drive my Chevy Avalanche... :biggrin:

After the powersupply went out in my computer, I'm turning it off when not in use, rather then leave it run all day.....does that count?

I'm downloading mp3's (legally) so they don't have to carpet the planet with more plastic cd's

Since we moved home to a new area the local council has a very good recycling service and we've fully embraced that in out home, it was a shock at just how much actual rubbish we throw away now we recycle all our plastics, paper, glass etc. The central heating has been off for some time now and none of our electrical equipment is left on overnight it gets switched off. Washing goes out on the line as much as the weather will allow so the tumble drier is hardly used.

I go to work everyday and start up these big pumps which draw a ton of juice and pump refined petroleum all over Northern california to keep all these cars, jets and trains rolling. Oh wait i guess that is the opposite of green. what is the opposite of green...

Oh wait i guess that is the opposite of green. what is the opposite of green...

Some shade of magenta or pink...

Our AC is at 80 during the day and 78 when we're home. Of course, when it's over 90 outside that's still pretty cool. :grin: We also have the ceiling fans, although we only have them on in the rooms we're in with one exception--the living room fan seems to circulate air around the house to an extent that the AC goes on less often when it's on. So that one stays on most of the time.

We recycle and have changed out several of our "spotlight" bulbs. Other than that, not much...you reach that diminishing returns point where large amounts of effort result in little difference.

I sign and pantomime a lot more therefore reducing my carbon output. I'd be carbon neutral were it not for all the indian food I eat! :blink::stinker: :stink:

I'm sorry guys, it's my achiles heal. I'm simply unable to "cut myself off..."

Besides recycling my family also has installed power-saving bulbs instead of the normal ones. Though I've recently had a scientist tell me something that is not advertised in those energy-saving bulbs... They have a very high emission of waves in the gamma-wavelength, which I think is somewhat worrisome, considering the health issues... :shok:

I keep my AC at 70 daytime and 75 nightime. I love a cool breeze :no: Can't stand those energy bulbs. the lighting sucks. I do recylcle.

Edited by USMC Hawker

I grow sunflowers... That reduces my carbon footprint, but they release huge amounts of corrosive oxygen, causing steel to rust for miles around... :secret:

carpool to work

only have one car on the road and only use $100 of gas per month

recyle all that we can

mow lawn every 10 days or more

energy efficiant lites

one a/c unit and 4 fans to cool house

no vacations or air travel

shop local

no tv no vcr no dvd so with that I conserve more green backs

shop at value village and reuse close

used book store see us alot

do not get any printed media

pay all bills online ( less paper less mail)

do not water lawn ever

water garden 2 hours every other day

carpool to work

only have one car on the road and only use $100 of gas per month

recyle all that we can

mow lawn every 10 days or more

energy efficiant lites

one a/c unit and 4 fans to cool house

no vacations or air travel

shop local

no tv no vcr no dvd so with that I conserve more green backs

shop at value village and reuse close

used book store see us alot

do not get any printed media

pay all bills online ( less paper less mail)

do not water lawn ever

water garden 2 hours every other day

No phones, no lights, no motorcar, not a single luxury,

Like Robinson Crusoe, as primitive as can be...

But, ya got a computer i see

No vacations are ya nuts? I take 2 a year. do you already live in a vacation spot? hawaii, belize, australia, etc.

Oh no, not here too!!!!!!!!!!(hangs head in utter disbelief.......)Get a grip guys - man-made global warming and "carbon footprint" is a complete fraud being pushed to support a political agenda. Its a Global Conning, not a Global Warming.Don't fall for this nonsense. having said that - conservation is a good thing. Anything to save resources, cut your bills, eliminate pollution is all good. :cool: But don't fall for the Global Warming is a Disaster nonsense!!I know this isn't supposed to be political, but you all brought it up!for some REAL scientific references,http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO2ScienceB2C/Index.jsphttp://climatesci.colorado.edu/http://friendsofscience.org/http://www.icecap.us/and follow some of the links within. one of my favorite links is -http://www.coloradocatholicherald.com/display.php?xrc=460 :clapping:

I grow sunflowers... That reduces my carbon footprint, but they release huge amounts of corrosive oxygen, causing steel to rust for miles around... :secret:
:good:

Hybrid cars do not make financial sense as it can take 5-10 years to recoup the additional money they cost over a standard 38 mpg commuter. Has anyone seen the South Park episode about the hybrids and the cloud of SMUG (no not smog, smug). Loved it.

Al gore wouldn't lie to us!!!!11!! He knows everything!!11!!1! He invented the internet!!!11!!!11!1 :rofl:

Didn't USAFMTL say not to get political about it?

Yes, there is an agenda. Want to hear it?

wait

For mankind and modern society to survive the century.

Seriously, say what you will about al gore, but look at the photos of the effects of global warming. Maybe it hasn't started by you, but the weather is very screwed up. I didn't care all that much until this winter. But back in January, I was working and had to drop a package off across campus. I walked there in a T-shirt while it was a pleasant 70 degrees. On the way back, I noticed trees and plants were budding, and actually pretty close to full leaves growing. actually Bush's acknowledgment of "global climate change" is more accurate than saying global warming....it's neither consistently warmer or colder, but everything is shifting. In temperate southern new york, the temperature has zig-zagged its way between extremes all year. 70 degrees in january, then 5 in february. 50 in may and now we're getting a heat wave from the southwest.

We can probably live with global warming, but once we run out of oil, we might as well be living in 1800 again if we haven't switched to alternative fuels. It's not a left/right political issue to bicker over, its a survival issue. If we have to bicker over it, at least bicker over how we're supposed to be solving the problem.

Didn't USAFMTL say not to get political about it?

Yes, there is an agenda. Want to hear it?

wait

For mankind and modern society to survive the century.

Seriously, say what you will about al gore, but look at the photos of the effects of global warming. Maybe it hasn't started by you, but the weather is very screwed up. I didn't care all that much until this winter. But back in January, I was working and had to drop a package off across campus. I walked there in a T-shirt while it was a pleasant 70 degrees. On the way back, I noticed trees and plants were budding, and actually pretty close to full leaves growing. actually Bush's acknowledgment of "global climate change" is more accurate than saying global warming....it's neither consistently warmer or colder, but everything is shifting. In temperate southern new york, the temperature has zig-zagged its way between extremes all year. 70 degrees in january, then 5 in february. 50 in may and now we're getting a heat wave from the southwest.

We can probably live with global warming, but once we run out of oil, we might as well be living in 1800 again if we haven't switched to alternative fuels. It's not a left/right political issue to bicker over, its a survival issue. If we have to bicker over it, at least bicker over how we're supposed to be solving the problem.

have you ever read a history of climate change? The climate is always changing. the question is why? To be stampeded into a short-sighted political agenda that is all about centralizing power and economic planning into the hands of a self-selected few, not to mention enriching the instigators through phony carbon trading schemes, just because of NATURAL climate change would be the height of idiocy.

climate change is a function of a lot of natural factors, the primary one being the solar output. Tracking solar cycles and sunspots resultes in a .97 correlation with recorded climate changes in the past. That continues right through today. The solar cycle has already reversed and the climate will be cooling sharply over the next two decades. Not because of any phony "tipping points" but because the sun is running a little cooler.

Conservation is a good thing. Fighting pollution is a good thing. Falling for a phony political agenda a Global Conning is a bad thing.

Enough of this - back to target lock......

rather than hijack this forum for a blatantly political agenda (which is all Global Conning, er, Warming, is all about) go to;

http://p216.ezboard.com/fwarships1discussionboardsfrm18

where I am reasonably confident that Nightwatch will be glad to kick your $#@!@%#$%^%!!

:cool:

Edited by Typhoid

Besides recycling my family also has installed power-saving bulbs instead of the normal ones. Though I've recently had a scientist tell me something that is not advertised in those energy-saving bulbs... They have a very high emission of waves in the gamma-wavelength, which I think is somewhat worrisome, considering the health issues... :shok:

Several months back, I overheard on a "Mr. FixIt" type home repair show here in Chicago, that some of those power saving bulbs contain mercury. So although you may reduce air pollution, the byproducts of these bulbs may end up in ground or ground water.

Several months back, I overheard on a "Mr. FixIt" type home repair show here in Chicago, that some of those power saving bulbs contain mercury. So although you may reduce air pollution, the byproducts of these bulbs may end up in ground or ground water.

yea, kind of a "pick your poison" Hobson's choice