Sign in to follow this  
SayethWhaaaa

Odd aircraft - Dornier Do 200 for example

I'm kinda into aircraft that "didn't quite make it" or were used in service in unconventional ways and I'm just wondering what information any of you might have. Case in point: The Dornier Do 200

do200.jpg

B17_kg200.jpg

do200n1.jpg

This Luftwaffe B-17 is a bugger to find online, and these seem to be the only snaps I can find. There's a brief history on Wiki, but information seems to be quite scarce. I do remember having an article on German use of captured Allied aircraft during WWII, but bugger me if I can find it (plus it was something like 15 years ago when I had it). I was thinking about making a skin for one of the SFP Forts but I'd need better shots.

Another aircraft is the PZL-230 Scorpion

Pzl-230_skorpion_01.jpg

800px-Pzl-230_skorpion_02.jpg

Pzl-230f_skorpion_02.jpg

Although, I'm not particularly keen on this last version.

This would have been an interesting CAS vehicle, but again, these are practically the only shots I can seem to find plus information (aside from what's on wiki) seems to be very brief about the nature of the program. I know the information should be out there somewhere, anyone have any suggestions as to where I start. I was thinking Jane's, but the Jane's entry I've seen is almost identical. Any help...?

:blink: Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh. WTF! Man the Nazis copied the B-17 down to a rivet! Man that is weird to me!

I believed they were captured...not copied. Pieced together from wreckages and such.

Your best bet to see most of these Mystery Meat aircraft is this link

http://www.aviationpics.de/myst/page_01.htm

Here's a favorite:

mystery0069.jpg

mystery0190.jpg

mystery0069.jpg

Wasn't this one of the competitors to the Skyraider? It's fugly, but Phantom fugly, as in: "while you're staring at my unsightliness, I'm going to drop four tonnes of ordinance on you!" :tongue:

Cheers Fates. Yeah, they were captured from survivors of crashes or forced landings and pieced back together from about 40 wrecks. I think they got something like a dozen, but there were Liberators used to. I know they were both used to determine tactics in attacking bomber formations, but there's some mystery as to whether the Liberators were used in covert ops like the B-17s. Apparantly the Japanese nabbed some Early to Mid model Forts too.. Don't know if there are photos though...

Cool, that polish "Scorpion" looks exactly like one would imagine a modern-era "Volksjäger"! :good:

Pretty neat, all things considered... They should have turned it into an export fighter for poor nations...

Oh sorry bout that! Still in shock that the Nazi's were testing them out and that they could have maybe used them against us if we allowed the war to go any longer!

IIRC, captured planes were used in special ops missions on several occasions in WWII.

For more information on the captured B-17, look for a book called 'strangers in a strange land' I think squadron/signal produced it. It's been several years since I last looked at it.

An excellent example of something being copied rivet for rivet, take the TU-4/B-29...the Soviets even copied a battle damage patch.

For more information on the captured B-17, look for a book called 'strangers in a strange land' I think squadron/signal produced it. It's been several years since I last looked at it.

An excellent example of something being copied rivet for rivet, take the TU-4/B-29...the Soviets even copied a battle damage patch.

Haha, yeah, didn't the even copy the interior fuselage colour scheme to the enth degree too? I heard a story of one of the three B-29 that landed in USSR had a certain type of nickel paint or something and when this particular plane was produced, they'd run out of it in the US so only the interior from nose to the mid section blisters had been painted (the section to the tail gunner being a light green I think. When the first Sov Tu-4s were built, they painted the interiors in exactly fashion because the workers were told to copy everything. They didn't ask question (because doing so was not a good career move) so they copied it, rivet for rivet...

Cool, that polish "Scorpion" looks exactly like one would imagine a modern-era "Volksjäger"! :good:

Pretty neat, all things considered... They should have turned it into an export fighter for poor nations...

Yeah, it would have been cool to see what effect a cheap yet tailored CAS aircraft with some stealthing characteristics would have had on the battlefield, huh?

Hi'

My first time here. :good:

You want to look at KG 200, they operated a number of captured a/c on clandestine missions during 43-45, using B-17 and B-24 around Europa , dropping agents /supplying encircled german garrisons e.g. Rhodos.

Happy Landings

Benny

Yeah, it would have been cool to see what effect a cheap yet tailored CAS aircraft with some stealthing characteristics would have had on the battlefield, huh?

I mean, looking at it - the PZL-230F (the latest version in black) looks pretty much like a miniature Sr-71 Blackbird! :rofl:

And yeah, I'd love to see it ingame... anybody? :idea:

Hey does anybody know about the F-26 Project STALMA? It looks weird, isn't done yet but I think it's just cool...

STALMA_TAIWAN_3.jpg

STALMA_ISRAEL_3.jpg

Ooh, I forgot about thr F-26.

But I found another one the other day that spun me out a little...

Yak-44.jpg

Hmmm.... reminds me of something but I can't think what. :tongue:

Hey does anybody know about the F-26 Project STALMA? It looks weird, isn't done yet but I think it's just cool...

STALMA_TAIWAN_3.jpg

STALMA_ISRAEL_3.jpg

I can tell its fast. Im glad to see the sweep wings returned. :biggrin:

Your best bet to see most of these Mystery Meat aircraft is this link

http://www.aviationpics.de/myst/page_01.htm

Here's a favorite:

mystery0069.jpg

Douglas A2D-2 Skyshark. I had the R.G Smith painting of it when I was a kid (cousin had a boyfriend that worked here at Douglas Santa Monica; I had ALL his paintings, in the 60's -- now, sadly, long gone and deestroyed.

WAs supposed to be a replacement for the Skyraider, using counter-rotating props, and I think the same turbine engine as used in the 2 xperimental VTOLs (Pogo and XFV-11??? - well, one was Lockheed and the other Convair). This, btw, is all off the top of my head without looking it up.

Can't remembe the jet off hand, one of the X-Mirages??

Wrench

kevin stein

I remember that plane. The props' tips broke the sound barrier at speed, IIRC, and the noise was literally deafening.

Ground crew reported becoming violently nauseous. :grin:

No, I think that was the F-84H Thunderscreech.

Yah, that was definately the 84H. The one as Wright-Patt used to be up on a pole a Bakersfield Airport (have to find my pics of it. My wife is standing udner it...where did I put those.../??????)

Here's a wiki on the SkysharK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2D_Skyshark

Wrench

kevin stein

I remember that plane. The props' tips broke the sound barrier at speed, IIRC, and the noise was literally deafening.

Ground crew reported becoming violently nauseous. :grin:

Doesn't that happen to most older prop jobs, particularly when they're diving? I'd heard a story that this isn't necessarily so for modern turbo props. Something to do with composite or variable pitch blades, or even the tapered tips of the props themselves. If someone's got info on that, I'd like to know. :smile:

Back on topic, this doesn't necessarily qualify as an odd aircraft, I just never realised it was used outside of the Russian AF.

706b_P1010112.jpg

83m-yak-38m-ukr-02.jpg

83m-yak-38m-ukr-03.jpg

Doesn't that happen to most older prop jobs, particularly when they're diving? I'd heard a story that this isn't necessarily so for modern turbo props. Something to do with composite or variable pitch blades, or even the tapered tips of the props themselves. If someone's got info on that, I'd like to know. :smile:

Back on topic, this doesn't necessarily qualify as an odd aircraft, I just never realised it was used outside of the Russian AF.

706b_P1010112.jpg

83m-yak-38m-ukr-02.jpg

83m-yak-38m-ukr-03.jpg

Ukraininian AF Yak-38. Thats the only AF besides Russia that operates it. :yes:

Ah, well I can't see or read 90% of the pics or links you guys post anyway thanks to the DoD's proxy filter, so I was going on name, not picture!

As for the Forger, that was a naval aircraft, not AF, wasn't it?

Ah, well I can't see or read 90% of the pics or links you guys post anyway thanks to the DoD's proxy filter, so I was going on name, not picture!

As for the Forger, that was a naval aircraft, not AF, wasn't it?

Yes. Ukrainian navy bird. :yes:

Another odd aircraft that never quite made it although I think it had revolutionary design enough to have been placed in production as a conventional aircraft instead of the V/STOL it was supposed to be is the XFV-12...

xfv12_title.jpg

xfv12_3view.jpg

xfv12_side732.jpg

Now THIS would be a plane to have in WoE... Part Skyhawk, part Phantom... But stronger than both!

Now THIS would be a plane to have in WoE... Part Skyhawk, part Phantom... But stronger than both!

Yeah, I guess that is what Rockwell's designers hoped for. Stupid reality. :wink: