Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

Weapons...is it all about looks?

Weapon options  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you be more accepting of?

• A weapon that is in game and works, but does NOT work like in real life.
    • No weapon at all.

Hey guys,

As I start modeling more and more weapons, I'm starting to run into limitations of the game engine...things such as only BOMB, LGB on a TER, no terrain following for cruise missiles, etc.

My question is for deciding if I spend time building these or move on to something else.

Note, the question is NOT 'Do I want a weapon to employ in the correct manner as in real life'. I figure everyone wants that to be a yes.

Please take the poll. If you want to post in the thread with comments, that's fine.

FastCargo

What kind of weps are you thinking about?

Hey guys,

As I start modeling more and more weapons, I'm starting to run into limitations of the game engine...things such as only BOMB, LGB on a TER, no terrain following for cruise missiles, etc.

My question is for deciding if I spend time building these or move on to something else.

Note, the question is NOT 'Do I want a weapon to employ in the correct manner as in real life'. I figure everyone wants that to be a yes.

Please take the poll. If you want to post in the thread with comments, that's fine.

FastCargo

As long as the weap got to the target AND blew it to kingdom come, I'd be happy! :good:

the limitations of the game are well known and nothing much we can do. :dntknw:

after all, we are all, (well at least most of us.) nothing but desk pilots, not real ones.

might as well enjoy the illusion. :biggrin:

to make it short, keep em' coming buddy :good: :yes:

What kind of weps are you thinking about?

Well, the ALARM, the air launched version of the Tomahawk (the one in the WeaponsPack is incomplete), the ACM, maybe the Tacit Rainbow.

Either cruise missiles (Tomahawk, ACM, Tacit Rainbow), or the unusual flight profiles (ALARM). Just wondering if the interest is there.

FastCargo

Move on. :wink: Do we have a houndDog and Rascal? I need S-25 and S-200 missiles. All these would be ~firsts~ in all the combat flight jet The Sims.

So if your runing out of ideas, does that mean that will be seeing what-if weapons for example, a nuclear AIM-9 or AIM-7 :haha: ?

Do we have the Brimstone missile yet? The Tonkas and other EU birds could use it.

Well, the ALARM, the air launched version of the Tomahawk (the one in the WeaponsPack is incomplete), the ACM, maybe the Tacit Rainbow.

Either cruise missiles (Tomahawk, ACM, Tacit Rainbow), or the unusual flight profiles (ALARM). Just wondering if the interest is there.

FastCargo

Are you considering SODs dude? I mean, obviously they won't walk the walk, but they sure do look purdy...

I like new ways to "kill" the enemy. I've gone out of the box and made myself a few AGM and AIM "nukes". It's fun to mess with; just have to be careful you don't put yourself in the kill zone when you launch. :blink:

FastCargo

The ALARM is an anti radiation missile made by the Brits. Doesn't look like a Tomahawk at all. Sure you got the right missile?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALARM

My post was a little unclear...it's supposed to read 'ALARM, AND the air launched version of the Tomahawk, AND the ACM, etc, etc'...

FastCargo

PS You know, it's damned hard to find good 3 view drawings of weapons. Aircraft, sure, but weapons? Pain in the butt...

An anti-radiation cruise missile...hell of an idea!!

Haven't seen the Tacit Rainbow since the old "Megafortress" game. Wonder how it could be modeled??

As for the Alarm, isn't there a 'cruise missile profile' in the WepEditor (ie: pop up and dive)? Since I don't think the 'hanging in a chute looking for the target' would work - but I"ll be very happy to be wrong on that!

Wrench

kevin stein

Well, you could do the Tacit Rainbow like a slow...LONG range ARM.

As far as the 'cruise missile' profile...there is one in the Weapons Editor...but it doesn't appear to actually work. I tried to implement this for the ALCMs, but it didn't have an effect.

FastCargo

Just a thought... but I've found that the Sparrow makes for a decent air to ground weapon. Would it be possible to use it as a starting point and modify the preformance and looks to make a cruser?

I haven't used the ALARM since the old Tornado game!

Did EF2K have it? I think so but I can't remember for sure...

Well FC, My $.02 is that a model and textures are a start for now. Once the game engine is modified by TK to allow better resemblance to performance than two of the steps are already done. I guess I have a "Don't put off till tomorrow what you could accomplish while waiting today" attitude. :biggrin:

And THANKS for your weapons work, it's greatly appreciated!!!!

P.S. We all knew when we bought our copies that this isn't F4AF, or Janes FA-18 :wink:

Edited by drdoyo

I haven't used the ALARM since the old Tornado game!

Did EF2K have it? I think so but I can't remember for sure...

Yes it did, and it was possible to launch in direct [fly straight to target] or indirect [loft & loiter] mode. Very cool feature :yes:

I'm still waiting for an updated EF sim... :dntknw:

As far as whether they should be included in TW sims? Since we don't restrict aircraft mods to only those featuring the modeled radar set, why apply any different standard to the weapons? As long as they kill the type of target they are designed to, I will use them. I wouldn't use 'fictional' weapons though.

Incidentally, the best A2A missile in EECH is a laser-guided Hellfire/Vikhr :smile:

Edited by Platinum Rogue

Yeah, because you can spoof the IR missiles, but not laser-guided. :wink: