Sign in to follow this  
column5

A great disturbance in the Force

EULAs became a necessary evil when a few mods included assets that were created by one entity and either copied in entirety or modified slightly and uploaded as another's work. (In fact I if I recall correctly this Diego fiasco was in this same vein)... Long story short, this website had to put it's foot down and advocate that all uploaded assets had to include some sort of EULA and acknowledgment of those who contributed, even in part to the final consistency of the uploaded asset.

Fact is, EULAs are worthless with non-profit assets. Within this community, all it does really is spell out in not-so-vague verbiage, it is common courtesy to obtain an assets creators permission to utilize his asset with disclosure and it cannot be re-packaged for sale. Outside this community, without this verbiage, someones assets could be re-packaged for sale in part or in whole and the creator would have absolutely no recourse to claim compensatory damages.

Reality is, if someone uses our assets, so long as it's a non-profit project we appreciate permission asked, and still usually look the other way when not. Perfect example is the Sabre cockpit... It's been used in just about as many uploaded mods as the A-4 cockpit. I've received plenty of requests for permission, however there are an equal amount of mods that it's shown up in that no permission was obtained. I tend to look at this and go "meh" no harm no foul... I see it as complimentary of my work. I've only had one instance where it showed up in a payware project... and it boiled down to an honest mistake due to it being such a prolific cockpit, ownership was assumed. One email and it was rectified with no harm done and no feelings hurt.

I think I can speak in large part for the majority of people who have uploaded projects for the community to use... we do it because we love our hobby and wish others to share in the revelry. To say we don't enjoy the accolades of a project well received would be a bold face lie. However, I don't for a second believe we do it seeking only glory and adulation. We fully know and except the fact that our offerings will be critiqued. The problem is, there are those who believe it's their god given right to flippantly cross the line of "critique" to that of "criticism". IMHO there is no right to criticize ones work, especially when provided freely... But I have to digress to my previous post to justify this behavior. The Internet community is void of true emotion and there is no fear of social repercussion. One can pretty much say and do what ever they wish with impunity because they can hide behind the social and moral firewall the Internet provides.

Edited by Zurawski

My Two Cents:

I have purchased everyone of TK's Sims to date.

I have downloaded almost everyone's work.(40 gig worth on my HD)

I mod some mods to MY liking for my sims.

Everyone has their particular forte. Let's enjoy each others efforts.

I say "THANK YOU ONE AND ALL FOR YOUR TREMENDOUS EFFORT AND WORK."

:good::ok::clapping::biggrin:

Hopefully anyone just tuning in will read Page 4 first. After three pages of mudwrestling, the best pearls of wisdom appeared on Page 4. Thanks for the clarity....

Excellent work, people....I can see that overnight this has turned around and calmed down

Let's leave this open for a while, and see if it stays this way.

Wrench

kevin stein

Dude, that is just way too much closeness...

Whew...I finally have the energy to post here...I spent hours exerting the Force to calm this down, it wasn't easy.

What, no appreciation for my efforts? Maybe I should take my all-powerful mystical field that explains everything and go home!!!

Nah, group hug! :biggrin:

Dude, try to hug me and I'll show you a new use for that lightsaber! :moil:

We can be positive without all this touchee-feelee-huggeee stuff...:wacko:

:secret:OK, one hug, but make it quick... and watch the hands! We have work to do... :type:

Guest 531_Ghost

Well, get to it then! :victory:

That's okay C5 I love it when a plan comes together too. After all Major Lee, consider the alternative! <--- that's a link :blink:

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's okay C5 I love it when a plan comes together too. After all Major Lee, consider the alternative! <--- that's a link :blink:

So gay...

Guest 531_Ghost

Now, now CA_Stary, we can't ask, so you probably shouldn't tell :wink:

EDIT:

I find it disturbing

Edited by CA_Stary

Still gay that alternative, 531_Ghost

Guest 531_Ghost
EDIT:

I find it disturbing

Must be the Force, the Darkside :wink:

Guest 531_Ghost
Still gay that alternative, 531_Ghost

Agreed! That's why said what I said! :ok:

The only One, True Force

Imperial, anyone?

Well I think we all have learned something today.

1. Some modders have a massive ego

2. Some modders won't help people

3. Some modders want group hugs

4. Some modders think group hugs are gay

5. The EELs have not left.

Well I think we all have learned something today.

1. Some modders have a massive ego

2. Some modders won't help people

3. Some modders want group hugs

4. Some modders think group hugs are gay

5. The EELs have not left.

... And some of us modders want hugs because we have massive EELs. Thus the huge egos.

To mis-quote Obi Wan: "The Eels will be with you, always"

Wrench

kevin stein