Sign in to follow this  
Tantobot

Best way to deploy Cluster Munitions

I was wondering how aircraft attack targets with these weapons. It seems in WOE when you use the them from about 200-500FT in a shallow dive they are quite accurate, but can they be used in a level bombing run or just in dives?

Thanks

I was wondering how aircraft attack targets with these weapons. It seems in WOE when you use the them from about 200-500FT in a shallow dive they are quite accurate, but can they be used in a level bombing run or just in dives?

Thanks

Cluster bombs can be delivered the same way as conventional bombs; dive bombing, level delivery, pop-up delivery. Just be sure you have the right bomb for the job (i.e. anti-armour, anti-personnel, mixed, etc). Each cluster bomb has a set number of bomblets and dispersal area (which can be edited using the weapons editor)so accuracy is still important. Check out this article which outlines several bombing techniques in WOV/WOE/SF that have proven very effective. It covers level bombing, pop-up, dive, and strafe.

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_055a.html

i could not follow that link...is the article posted somewhere else?

That is strange becuase I got it.

Like any other bomb, don't you just point them in the general direction of the bad guys, "push the button, Max", and watch the fireworks????

As a rule, I wouldn't drop under 1000 feet...in case of back-splatter (ya know, greasy burnt bits stuck the underside of your plane...p's off the ground crew)

Wrench

kevin stein

I'd say ask the Israeli Air Force... ...and then do the opposite of what they tell you. :yes:

I think IE6.

I'd say ask the Israeli Air Force... ...and then do the opposite of what they tell you. :yes:

What are you talking about? If anything you should listen to em. Them Isrealis got more combat time than prety much anyone els at the moment.

In real life, you might end up releasing at over angels 10 in the viper. But lets assume you're flying CAS and low, for some reason.

I would suggest a pop-up attack, especially since whatever you're laying CBU's on may be ready to defend itself. Run in at low altitude from at least 20 degrees off of the angle you'd like to attack from. At a preset distance (you'll have to calculate that yourself), pull up, adjust your flight track to match the line you want the bombs delivered on, then dive in gently and release. pull away again more than 20 degrees, and hit the deck. Watch the frag pattern.

You could try a loft if you're just aiming for area denial, which is the purpose of the CBU after all. Not sure how well the thirdwire series would respond to that.

I'll run a few patterns in WOE and see how things work. It varies from sim to sim... In the Falcon series where I spend more time, the avionics are detailed enough to let you enter/calculate specific popup points/information. It's a little more seat of the pants here, which can be more fun.

What are you talking about? If anything you should listen to em. Them Isrealis got more combat time than prety much anyone els at the moment.

Let's not go overboard either. Against who have the Israelis been gaining their combat experience. AK-47s and RPGs in the hands of poorly trained ground troops. Not opening a political thread here, just stating facts. The deck has been loaded in their favor for some time now.

Let's not go overboard either. Against who have the Israelis been gaining their combat experience. AK-47s and RPGs in the hands of poorly trained ground troops. Not opening a political thread here, just stating facts. The deck has been loaded in their favor for some time now.

Ah no. Ever heard of the 6 Day War? Or Yom Kippur? Peace for the Gallilee? (spelling?) Osirak raid?

And all of those happened before you were born Viggen.

That doesn't count as recent experience.

FastCargo

That is recent experience. We (the US) are still learning from mistakes made in Vietnam. You cannot underestimate history. I don't want to sound rude, but don't say things like that unless you're a little more sure. Israel is often attributed with the world's best urban combat infantry.

What Jug was talking about was major ground and air offensive campaigns. As in 1973 Yom Kipper War sized operations. As in dealing with a major air and IADS threat.

Israel has had a lot of subconventional warfare (even the 2006 Lebanon War was mostly fought against irregular troops using guerilla tactics) but hasn't had a large conflict against regular troops in a long time (a good thing).

Battle hardened? Sure, Israel has some of the best troops on the planet. I've met them, talked with them, flown with them.

And don't talk to me about history and learning from it.

Hey, what the hell do I know...I just flew nuclear bombers for a living...

FastCargo

WHAT? In BUFFs right?

Nope.

Look at my sig.

Hey folks...lets steer this one back on topic. Cluster munitions employment.

I personally like laying down a long stick of 30 CBUs with SFWs in all of them...

Destruction for all my friends...

FastCargo

Oh duh! I should have known

Right Cluster bombs...

Quite fun to fly an F-4E or B-52 loaded to the guild with Rockeyes.

Works great on CAS. Soviet Armor always attack in columns and you can lay waste to them pretty easy with loaded out rockeyes or 87's on an A-10. Whatever the bomblets don't get you can finish up with your Avenger. :good:

!!!Teh best quote ever!!! :haha::rofl: