Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

WoI Historic Mods Thread

LloydNB,

Yes - the RN had the AD-4W Skyraider deployed on the carriers during Suez. Good Ole 849NAS...

SB

Wrench

I was just putting the Royal Navy Skyraider Mk.1 into WoI for Suez and I remembered that you mentioned in another thread that the ASW bubble was available. Do you know where? I don't know if the RN operated in 1956 with the ASW bubble , but he French did.

Its interesting that the only ASW action during the Crisis was AGAINST the Americans. The French detected a US submarine amongst their fleet and forced it to the surface.

849 were strictly AEW Skyraiders, the RN never used the Spad for ASW. Not sure if the ASW bubble is the same as the AEW one, I'm assuming they both hold a radar just pointing in slightly different directions.

Standard US AN/APS-20 search radar. Same as carried on the TBM-3E, Boeing PB-1Ws, etc.

to change the subject, has anyone given thought to the Jordanian Starfighters? We've got Ajundair's 104A that just probably needs redecalling and NationName changes (plus weapons adjustments...)

Wrench

kevin stein

Very quick, very dirty swap over....

rjaf_104-1.jpg

rjaf_104-2.jpg

Using Ajundair's PAF 104A; already set for "WP" attachments, using FAB250, the M260 rocket pod (see WoI Loadouts Thread), Atolls for cheater IRM*; 104 silver tanks bmps are renamed from the 104S tanks.

Operational years set 1968-1973. nationname, obviously, Jordan

Fues decals could be a little smaller; will need Arabic s/num over the aft fues/airbrake area.

Stock 3rdW 104G cockpit, using the enhanced bmps found here at CA. Not bad for quickie :wink:

Wrench

kevin stein

*too lazy to create a new Jordanian only 9B

I'm in the (now extremely long-winded) process of modelling the Westland Wyvern which popped up at Suez. I think I started it for SF and at some point it morphed into an FSX project, however it'll still come to SF probably a month or two after FSX.

Anyway due to my anal level of research I can probably fill in any blanks on it. For starters weapons wise if it fits on a Seahawk it'll do for the Wyvern. And they never flew operationally with torpedoes despite the original design aim.

Skippy,

Am I right in thinking that the Wyvern served on Eagle during Suez? I can't remember, and a short sifting through what I have have to hand next to the desk doesn't come up with much (other than a shot of a Wyvern on what appears to be one of Eagle's catapults).

Nevermind. Looked up another book and saw Eagle's Wyvern scheme................. carry on.

Nice one Wrench

You could probably do the same quick change with a silver F-5B (do we have one?) and F-5E.

Still focusing on 1956, I've been having a go at updating your Meteor Mk4 - putting the black wing strips and green fuselage stripes on, adding number codes etc. Luckily the same skin works for the Meteor Mk8 - two-for-one! Oh, and I've fixed the missing "4" on the serial number below.

The EAF skin that comes with the MiG-15bis pack needs similar work.

LloydNB

post-2351-1204528155_thumb.jpg

post-2351-1204531430_thumb.jpg

Edited by LloydNB

Looking through the OOB for Suez I think the RAF Hunter (either stock or Armourdave/Sundowner's model) should be made into a Hunter F Mk5. According to the info I've found this means 2 x 100 gal external tanks rather than 4. Then there's also different engine data and a different wing design, but I think this is not that important or rather too much trouble).

Also, shouldn't the internal cannon be removed from the MiG-21PFM? Is there a loadout for external gunpods on MiG-21s?

English number codes??? I"m pretty sure I made the Arabic numbers...

Also, finally figured out WHY I can't find the IDF F.8 ... I just built it out of existing skins, via ini mods. Gramps's IDF skin, albeit a changed, and his stock natural metal. One could even cheat a little further, and us the IDFWhiteNum for the numbers on the nose/tail/wherever (look in in objectdat01.cat)

I KNOW that at some point, I MUST have uploaded them either here, or a my site. I know one of them's up my place

Link to EAF Meteor F.4

I'll contiue to browse both my HD and the uploads section...the EAF F.8 may have never been completed, as the bmps for the serial numbers are still in the decal folder (all 12 of them!)

I'll see if I can't put together some kind of mini-pak for the IDF F.8

Johan: I'll have to look at the PFM...we might need to do the Indian MiG Fix for it..

Wrench

kevin stein

Hi Wrench

Perhaps we were talking at crossed-purposes. I was thinking of an EAF Meteor Mk8. I understand that the EAF had a small number (pehaps 6) and they were operated as a mixed unit (5 Squadron) with the Mk4s during the Suez Crisis - 12 aircraft in all.

I've used the War of the Stripes article to do mixed Arabic/English codes for the Meteors, Vampires and a reworking of Simon's EAF Sea Fury skin. Soviet source aircraft (post republic) appear to have used Arabic numbers exclusively.

Pictures I've seen suggest that the IDF used a camo scheme on its Mk8s during 1956 and silver during 1967.

LloydNB

(one of my books mentions a kill by them in that year);

Wrench

kevin stein

You mean you write books as well as all this modding work. Well I never what a clever fellow you are. :biggrin: What are they called and where can you get them?

Yup, Gramp's skin. For the natural metal, I just used the 'silver' skin, and rebadged via decal ini edits. Created the 'nation specific' version with data ini edits (adjusted years, loads, etc). For the silver skin, there's black number decals in objcetdata01.cat -- IDFNum***.tga

B: what I meant was one of the several thousand books in my collection; in this case I 'think' the HAWK kill is mentioned in

"The Fighting Isreali Air Force" by BG Stanley Ulanoff & LtC Davied Eshel. great cover painting, Mir3CJs flying past Masada

Wish I could write books....

Still have to research when the HAWKs really started to arrive...my brain seems to think either just before or after the 67 War.

Wrench

kevin stein

Wish I could write books....

Wrench

kevin stein

Oah ..shucks I'm crushed and I thought you were an author as well. :biggrin:

Still have to research when the HAWKs really started to arrive...my brain seems to think either just before or after the 67 War.

Wrench

kevin stein

According to a recent article that I read the first Hawk Battalion was deployed in Israel in March 1965 and that the first kill it acheived was an Israeli Ouragan.

lAZBOY

Hi Wrench

Just looking for some advice. I've got the RJAF Vampire to a state I'm happy with it. Its a mash of two of column5's original skins and some new decals. Should I release it just as a skin and let people make their own data.ini and loadout.ini changes to make it work for WoI, or should I provide a full set of instructions so that it turns up armed on the "enemy" side?

A lot of people (me included) are put off by complicated instructions.

post-2351-1204740604_thumb.jpg

Edited by LloydNB

To quote the Roman Senate, from "History of the World, Part 1"

"*&%# the people" :rofl:

I'd release a full package, skins, inis, decals, whatever. You can use my modified Spit/ 1 Jet cockpit (check the WW2 Vampire for the bits). Just leave out Pasko's lods. That way, they'll have everything but the physical model. Give them a link the FB.5, and they can do the rest.

Same way I've done a LOT of aircraft... 'semi-complete pakage'.

Wrench

kevin stein

Thanks Wrench

Will do! I'm at work at present and when I get home I've been talked into potting up some garden plants for the local school fair. But I'll get on to when I can.

I was a bit disappointed by the decals that came with the RJAF Hunter skin in WoI. They don't seem to reflect the situation in 1967 - no squadron flash on the nose, serial numbers in Arabic not Latin script and no checked rudders. I'll see what I can do to improve them.

LloydNB

As they appear to be mapped identically to the WoE Hunter, I'd reccomend popping over the 3rd Wire, and grabbing TKs templates

If not, I should have them here. I enhanced the rivets and panel lines a little. They're the ones I used for the "What If..." IDF Hunter (WoE version)

Wrench

kevin stein

...with a silver F-5B (do we have one?)...

Not yet...

gallery_12105_43_68178.jpg

I wish I could say I skin this well...but I can't.

Still some time away...

FastCargo

Stumbled across this little video of EAF birds....

nice shots of the loadouts. Looks like 21Fs, Su-7s and 17 fighter bombers -- the one I've been looking for with the 2 extra hardpoints on the fuselage. Still need model name....

Wrench

kevin stein

After a couple of hours of frustration...gads, I HATE typos I can't find... got this

eaf_mig17fb-1.jpg

imported the S-3K racks; which are slightly off, postion-wise on the wing. Also, there's nothing in any of the paks that can be used for the real Egyptian-home grown 4 shot rack they used 67 - later. Would also sit closer to the wing tips. Just looks a little funny to me.

or this, more stock loadout...

eaf_mig17fb-2.jpg

(tried to duplicate the oft-seen photo from the 73 War

I think, even as non-historically accurate, the UB-32 looks better. :dntknw:

have this litte monster imported too...

eaf_17pf.jpg

right now, it's using my larger skin, although the stock silve woulr look better. Only problem is, they were camoed after the 6 Day War. Unfortunately, not quite possible, as I have never figure out the mapping for the radar nose.

Comments? Ideas? The 17F fighter bomber variant in 99.9 percent ready for upload. The Farmer D just needs a new hangar screen; working on that'n now.

Wrench

kevin stein

Are you, guys, planing an historical mod that revamp stock campaigns? Will all Israeli planes and arab planes be flyable?

After a couple of hours of frustration...gads, I HATE typos I can't find... got this

imported the S-3K racks; which are slightly off, postion-wise on the wing. Also, there's nothing in any of the paks that can be used for the real Egyptian-home grown 4 shot rack they used 67 - later. Would also sit closer to the wing tips. Just looks a little funny to me.

or this, more stock loadout...

(tried to duplicate the oft-seen photo from the 73 War

I think, even as non-historically accurate, the UB-32 looks better. :dntknw:

have this litte monster imported too...

eaf_17pf.jpg

right now, it's using my larger skin, although the stock silve woulr look better. Only problem is, they were camoed after the 6 Day War. Unfortunately, not quite possible, as I have never figure out the mapping for the radar nose.

Comments? Ideas? The 17F fighter bomber variant in 99.9 percent ready for upload. The Farmer D just needs a new hangar screen; working on that'n now.

Wrench

kevin stein

Excellent stuff Wrench.I feel your pain with the 17P nose mapping.I ended up in a straight jacket trying to figure that out.

Couldn't tell ya about campaigns...not my thing.

Right now, we're all just trying to get the R/L historical aircraft and their loadouts in game.

WK or anyone else: I have a psd tempalte I made for the PF radar nose skin. I re-did that skin for the 17 and 19 upgrades I did last year. If anyone wants it, to try and match the EAF camo, let me know and I'll get it to you

Then you can have all the fun of trying to figure out the mapping to match the camo pattern <evil grin>

Wrench

kevin stein