Considering all the different aircraft and time frames that's pretty hard to nail down to an exact answer.

In WOV i was a seriously high time Thud pilot who also spent time in Phantoms, Huns, and Crusaders. In WOE i started out a Hunter, had my greatest succes ever in a Hun, briefly was in F4s before ending up in an A-10.

Edited by Lt. James Cater

F-14 (with some of own ini edits, fubar's edits, typhoid, and ravenclaw's stuff thrown in)

F-8E

F-4D Loran

RF-4C

and that is about it....

Edited by ironroad

F-14B and A-7E lately.

I flew my Su-37 and "MiG29-converted-by-.ini-to-CFA44" :rofl:

When I said "my" Su-37 I mean Marcs with FCs canards with REALISTIC .ini edits

Edited by i90807065

Guest 531_Ghost

F4Bs and Ns and only one squadron :wink:

Everything and then some mostly but if any one gets the most airtime for me it will be the Sea Harrier in comrpnt's sfp1 Falklands mod, Wrench's Haf F-4 in WoI (my personal favourite at the mo) and the MF A-7 also in WoI. As far as WoV is concerned A-Team's AC-47 Spooky is a dream to fly over CA Stary's Green Hell (just downloaded v2 with fixes) but F-111 fly my boat too as do most RAF birds especially the hypothetical Brit Tomcats :biggrin: I wish RL provided enough free time for me to get into modding properly myself but the credit crunch is hitting us poor graduates very hard (cue violin) So alls I can say is a very big, huge THANK YOU to all those creative genii who make these amazing mods for the greater enjoyment of all of us Wooooot!!! :bowdown2:

usually whatever the latest plane is up for testing......

that tends to keep my limited time filled up pretty well.

lately the F-14B, A-7E, RF-4C series, the Canadian package in all of its glory (outstanding!!) and the F-5 package.

after that, I tend to stick to the tailhook planes (duh!) more than others but not exclusively.

A-4

F-14A+ and D

F-4

F-4 USAF and others

F-8

A-7E

Mig-29

SU-27

and in the WWII arena the F-4u, F4F, Zero and P-51

WWI I like the Spad

Edited by Typhoid

In WOV, A-7C or E, and F-4b. In my WOI Korea mod install; F-86e, Mig 15bis, and AU1. In WW2 Europe WOE install, Spit1, ME109e, or Hawk75a.

Mosquito and Hurricane in WW2, Tomcat and A-7 otherwise, and I LOVE the F-100 and A-4. I also like the F-4S, My favorite phantom.

And I have been known to use the tornado too, I just love that thing. Fighter variant, please! :tongue:

I'ts just dawned on me that I don't have any regular aircraft, I haven't even played the games properly, never played a campaign or even a whole mission appart from testing my own models.

Lately, I've been in 'Saders or nothing.

Still hop in the F-14A now and again, but I'm holding out for the B.

Not to sound completely ignorant, but whats the difference in the F-14A/B/D? :dntknw:

I noticed that the D doesnt have the winglets/and is faster, but other than that, nothing...

Improved engines, avionics, weapons and a bunch of other systems (I think- I didn't check or anything). The biggie, though, is the engines. The TF-30s on the F-14 were unreliable and fairly prone to the dreaded compressor stall. The -B had improved engines, Allison turbofans or jets or something (once again that's just off the top of my head.)

Engines for one thing - F-14A had underpowered engines (for the airframe) that compressor stalled under some situations - remember reading (not sure how true) that the first Naval female F-14 pilot stalled her F-14A coming into land - and ejected upside down into the sea (killed) - the GIB got out okay though.

Fav. plane: Tomcat.

@i90807065

The F-14B and D have General Electric F110 engines that provide more thrust and far greater reliability over the Pratt and Whitney TF30's. The D also has an updated cockpit, HUD, Radar and avionics/electronics. Around 2000-2003 some B's got a brand new HUD too.

Ah, that's it. GEs, not Allisons.

got it mixed up with the A-7 :fie:

F-4s - almost exclusively.

The "hard wing/ short gun housing" F-4E is my favourite of them.

Engines for one thing - F-14A had underpowered engines (for the airframe) that compressor stalled under some situations - remember reading (not sure how true) that the first Naval female F-14 pilot stalled her F-14A coming into land - and ejected upside down into the sea (killed) - the GIB got out okay though.

I think this is the video of it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5BDLd3XKR8

Edited by serverandenforcer

Yeah, that was LT Kara Hultgren - first female F-14 pilot. If I remember the information correctly, there was a mechanical failure in one engine that lead to a flame-out. Then, the high power on the other engine produced a yaw that was recoverable, but she didn't react correctly to the situation and the Tomcat departed controlled flight. The RIO tried to punch them both out, but the plane had rolled too far when the pilot's seat fired. The meat and potatoes of the accident report is floating around the internet somewhere. Basically, it was mechanical failure coupled with pilot error.

Then, all that raised a whole flap about whether or not the Navy had caved to political pressures regarding gender integration - whether or not LT Hultgren was really qualified to fly Tomcats, or if she had been pushed through the program anyway.

----

Anyway, yes the TF-30 engines in the F-14A's were very underpowered for the aircraft and were only intended as a temporary fit to the Tomcat. It was intended to receive a version of the F100 (I think) engine that was being developed for the F-15A. Delays and costs prevented that from coming about and the Tomcat soldiered on with inadequate engines. Compressor stalls were very common and it was said that pilots had to fly the engine rather than the plane to avoid engine stalls.

Biggest difference between the A and A+/B is the GE engines. The glove vanes ("winglets") were operable on the A and A+/B only. They were for stability at higher Mach numbers into supersonic flight, but their benefits were marginal and their removal saved weight. So, when they failed, they were disabled permanently. The new-build D's never had them (the rest of the D's were rebuild A's).

The D was a bit of a different jet. More of the internal systems were digital, rather than analogue. The D had the GE engines, a contemporary HUD, the twin chin pod for the TCS and IRST, and more internal upgrades that I can't remember at the moment.

I believe, because of the extra drag from the twin chin pod, the D was actually a little slower than the other models, which would probably make the A+/B the fastest 'Cat.