Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

WW2: Invasion of Japan?

Now that we have new campaigns about WW2 working great and with a very nice set of planes what do you think about a:

WW2: Invasion of Japan campaign

It could be semi historical or semifictional, the US planned to invade Japan in late 1945 in the case the A-Bomb was not finished in time, so what if the operation Downfall was needed??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall

We have lots of the needed planes as the Bearcat and the Tigercat

Imagen1-4.jpg

Imagen2-2.jpg

Corsairs, Hellcats, Avengers, Mustangs and Thunderbolts, and what about SeaFuries, P-80, P-82 and P-55 Ascender?? Of course B-26, B-29, B-24... Al of this will be needed, but we have it. About the Japanese we can expect lots of old models like Zero's, Hayabusa's... but also jet and rocket planes like the Karyu the Shusui...

1531-1200280513-new_karyu.jpg

2160j8m_2.jpg

And bombers like the Judy, the Lily and the Topsy.

About the terrain, maybe we can use the Japan part included in the Korea terrain? It have more than half of the country with all the South that will be the needed part, so maybe with a adapted tileset and maybe If Stary have enough time to create a treemod we can have a perfect terrain for it.

What do you think?

I can try it If someone help me to arrange the terrain for it

We would need a totally new terrain stretching from the Kuriles in the north all the way down to Iwo in the south, and as far west as central china (assuming no one wants to fly from Tinian/Guam/Saipan in their 29s -- and Iwo is needed as the base for 8th AF bombers -17 & 24s- transfered from Europe). How far east is up for grabs... at least 3-400 miles to have empty ocean -and a nice buffer zone to keep The Wall at bay- for CVTFs. Going even futher north to the Aleutians would be cool as well, staging out of some the island bases and attacking Hokido (sp?) and the big bases at Paramushiro. Definately keep Korea in there; lots of IJAAF squadrons based over there.

We'd still need the Ki-83, J7W (which IIRC, Geo was working on at one time?) and F2G Corsair.....

The 2 Karyu variants could stand-in for the Kikka, along with Shusui. But we're still missing some other historical players: Jack, Tojo, Helen, and a couple other that I dis-remember...

Having played ATOP: WW2 46 (and having converted the manual to pdf so it don't get lost), I have a great deal of knowledge on this 'what if' scenario.

But, yeah, it would entail a HUGE amount of work....the terrain alone, and targetizing it could take months. Doable? Absolutely!! Who's gonna do it??? Don't have a clue!

Wrench

kevin stein

I expected to be able to use the Japan/Korea map. Of course If is not possible, that add a lot of work, about the planes, If we miss one or two is not that important I believe no? As a ATOP:1946 lover like you, will lovew to get this campaign reenacted in a moden engine. I'm currently working on Hokkaido and Kyushu maps for Il2

Edited by Stratos

Love this game!! Still playing from time to time. Kevin will like to give a look to the pdf manual, I'm still using the original exe one

dosbox2008-09-1021-15-35-65.jpg

dosbox2008-09-1021-16-22-12.jpg

dosbox2008-09-1021-16-54-40.jpg

dosbox2008-09-1021-17-52-26.jpg

Guest Sony Tuckson

yes, I played it on my first pc, a 486 dx @66 mhz!

Is this the battlehawks 1942??? I still have it

No, it's Aces of the Pacific! (Battlehawks uses bitmap graphics, AOTP polygon objects...)

In Reality is the 1946 expansion and the plane is a F8 Bearcat!

I'm sorry i had it a lot of years, i had the 1946 expansion so, nice game, a few hours in the computer playing with it i spend when i was young

My god!!! Did it really look that crappy back in those days?? Have we progressed that far in graphics???

Stratos, I'll try the zip up the pdf, and shoot you (or anyone else that want's it) a link.

Wrench

kevin stein

Great reply stratos! Although I personally didn't have the

expansion to AOTP, I vividly remember playing the heck

out of this early game. Oh those memories :yes:

I used to dream about "what if" AOTP could be cross-linked

to another computer with either a null modem serial cable

or modem-to-modem dial up. I used to imagine that every

AI plane I was engaging was being controlled by a live

player! Would have been serious fun.

i still have the cd with all the Aces games from Sierra. not too sure if they will work on my pc tho.

I'm using it on a Windows XP Pro with the use of DosBox and runs great

My god!!! Did it really look that crappy back in those days?? Have we progressed that far in graphics???

Stratos, I'll try the zip up the pdf, and shoot you (or anyone else that want's it) a link.

Wrench

kevin stein

How dare you, unbeliever? :blink::biggrin:

Crappy?! Those graphics rock!! Well, it's true that US flag does look like Stars and Bars on the screen but... this is AOTP!

Hell, I just loved this game! And I was a great fan of the 1946, my dream is indeed that game in a modern engine. Trust me, modders, you will make a man happy it this campaign do exist!

Allrighty then....

as promised, here's a zip of the pdf of the ATOP 1946 expansion manual.

Mind you, when I had the wife scan this to PDF, she did it sideways, so you'll have to rotate the view in Adobe.

Here you go:

Aces of the Pacific: WW2 1946 Manual <-- linky thingy!

enjoy!

Wrench

kevin stein

I've got a book called "Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War" which has some pretty good information regarding what Japan had decided to concentrate on building from 1946. I have been planning on building some of the aircraft as some of them are really interesting.

Just a footnote: My father, was drafted straight out of his High School senior year in 1944 into the Army. Sent to Europe to fight the Germans from late 1944 until VE day in May of 1945. Then sent back to the States via the Queen Mary in order to be ready to go fight the Imperial Japanese for Operation Coronet's invasion force south of Tokyo Bay on 1 March 1946. The 87th Infantry Division never left the States due to the dropping of two atomic bombs on the 6th and 9th of August 1945. Operation Coronet was the second phase invasion of Operation Downfall. The B-29 and the Little Boy, Fat Man atomic bombs saved my father's life. If it had gone down as planned, I wouldn't be here right now. Just a thought...

I have a Kyushu Shinden that just needs textures, I'd be happy to fix it up for you guys to use.

You can see it in the Veeerrrrry upper edge of the first pic, the second is just a fun little data sheet I did for the Bear, one of my favorites.

post-24808-1221227543_thumb.jpg

post-24808-1221227555_thumb.jpg

Edited by Klavs81

Brother, we'll take anything you can give !!!! :good:

Is it already mapped/unwrapped, whatever, so a template can be created?? Data ini created??? (loads I can do..FM nope!)

I just might want to give it a try...quick! before I change my mind!!! :haha:

VF-19 bear??? S would be Coral Sea ~1947

I love that photo-real shot!!

WRench

kevin stein

Brother, we'll take anything you can give !!!! :good:

Is it already mapped/unwrapped, whatever, so a template can be created?? Data ini created??? (loads I can do..FM nope!)

I just might want to give it a try...quick! before I change my mind!!! :haha:

WRench

kevin stein

Nope, Nope and Nope, and the model needs landing gear, but I'll start working on it next month maybe, I'm busier'n heck these days!

After seeing the cool pics Klavs posted I realized that it would be really nice to have a template for the Bearcat.

Just saying.

Edited by Gocad