Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

How I fight in the Mirage?

Ok, now that everyone will be flying WOI, can someone please tell me how I have to fly the Mirage/Nesher against those pesky Migs in order to hit them? I really suck in that plane no matter what I do. I'm sure is a very good aircraft but I don't know how to drive it. And please don't tell me simply Zoom and Boom, I can't fully understand even less master the technice If someone don't tell me how to fight.

Thank's!!

Ok, now that everyone will be flying WOI, can someone please tell me how I have to fly the Mirage/Nesher against those pesky Migs in order to hit them? I really suck in that plane no matter what I do. I'm sure is a very good aircraft but I don't know how to drive it. And please don't tell me simply Zoom and Boom, I can't fully understand even less master the technice If someone don't tell me how to fight.

Thank's!!

Its difficult, sure. The AI will tend to make every fight a tight turning fight, and in their MiGs that is not a bad idea. A high or low yo-yo can often get you a high-deflection shot, but its low PK. One tactic that works is this: as they turn they will inevitably spiral down towards the ground. Once they get low enough, they are forced to level out, and at that point they are an easy kill most of the time.

The Mirage is a dog in WOI at turning so you have to keep your speed up - and move a lot because I can almost guarantee while im after a Mig-17 - another 1 is on my six getting ready to fire :)

The Isrealis had to use a technique called stitching against "inferior" fighters that could easily out turn them - keeping a high energy state and going up in the vertical then slashing down in a dive - unfortunately this is difficult to do unless you have a trackIR. And hitting them with cannon is still not that easy either!

Try not to slow down and turn!

Have noticed the new AI pilots are good at keeping energy in Mig-21/23s also.

Do not go below 400 Knots, Delta wings love airflow do not starv them of such. Use speed and raw power which you have copeouse amounts of, out climb, do not turn w/the MIG, If gunning turn until he pulls out ahead cause he can turn better than you. When he starts to pull above gunsight run out get more speed. You try to turn w/mig once you get below 400 knots you start loosing speed fast when you whip the ponies. DO NOT TURN W/MIG!

You start whipping the ponies in a mirage in a dog fight before you know it you'll be walking home.

Edited by MAKO69

Hey Stratos!

Have you tried using the tactic called vertical rolling scissors? It's worked miracles when I used that going against Mig-21's while I'm flying the F-4E. After scissoring multiple times, I've pulled into the vertical and then rolled over on the top almost like doing a vertical scissors, then dove in on him for a head on pass.

Against the mig17 if you've got some on your tail and cant shake them off then just go vertical. Provided you have roughly the same energy (i.e speed and altitude) the mig will always stall before the mirage. Then just get out of the climb and try manovering on their six. The mig will at this point try to make it a turning fight so dont let them. If you notice that you'll not be able to make the turn just level of, gain some speed and go vertical again. The mirage has a higher service ceiling too (althouh not by mutch) you'll get him eventually.

Now there are some things to remember. Check your six to see where the migs are shooting, they tend to shoot at you while climbing and they just might get luck. Another risk is from sams as you wont have mutch speed to work with as you approach stall. Check your fuel too as you'll be doing all this on afterburner

Edited by zaba

Its difficult, sure. The AI will tend to make every fight a tight turning fight, and in their MiGs that is not a bad idea. A high or low yo-yo can often get you a high-deflection shot, but its low PK. One tactic that works is this: as they turn they will inevitably spiral down towards the ground. Once they get low enough, they are forced to level out, and at that point they are an easy kill most of the time.

That's indeed one of the tactics I found by instinct, shooting them as they level out, and it works sweet well!

A few tips....

1) Learn to roll at high alpha with the rudder.

2) Practice your deflection shooting. You'd be surprised how often a MiG-17 screws up and crosses your flight path well within gun range.

3) When in a scissors, remember tip 1, and don't overcompensate. It only takes me 2-3 scissors before I go from having a MiG-21 on my six, to being on his six.

4) Use lag pursuit. Force your opponent to execute large, energy-bleeding maneuvers, but don't follow his lead!

5) Use clouds to force an opponent to lose track of you. Estimate where he'll be when you both emerge (from the clouds), and try to be on his six.

6) Only use the vertical when you know that your aircraft's still in a high energy state, but your opponent's is not.

Now this guy was in my windscreen AND I MISSED!!!!AAAARGH!!!!!

...and crashed later;dont go diving in full afterburner(too much energy eh!)

Edited by Stick

hello

stratos i recomend you search in "youtube" the videos about the IAF dogfights from the tv series the history chanel. its very good and show you the moves with computer graphics very well done.

if you speak spanish ask at the spanish forum, good luck

Q.) How I fight in the Mirage?

A.) First, understand that a mirage is an optical illusion created by heated air that reflects the sky over an area of land off in the distance. This usually occures in very hot climates, where heat illness can occure. So HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE! :rofl:

O.K., I'm a bit crazy tonight. :biggrin:

I got int a fight with a camel once.

I got int a fight with a camel once.

Did he get the hump?

Did he get the hump?

Twice. :biggrin:

Ummmm,how is low yo-yo done?I know to do high yo-yo but how is low yo-yo done?

Thank's!!

And you are flying WoI right?Why dont just use your AIM-7,AIM-120 or AIM-9s? :ok:

And you are flying WoI right?Why dont just use your AIM-7,AIM-120 or AIM-9s? :ok:

Easier to use cannon in 1967 or 1973 as the missiles are pants and the Shahak/Nesher only had poor short range heaters like shafrir1/2 AIM-9B/D

The AIM-120 came in in about 1996 for the IDF - they were both long gone by then.

Ummmm,how is low yo-yo done?I know to do high yo-yo but how is low yo-yo done?

Instead of going high you go low - this should help maintain a bit of energy too

Has anybody read Eagle in The Sky by Wilbur Smith?