Sign in to follow this  
Murphy'S

The Official Sept/Oct Patch Thread

extract it from one of the .cats in the flight folder - cant remember which one its in

extract it from one of the .cats in the flight folder - cant remember which one its in

Thanks! It was in "FlightData.cat".

Did a clean install and patch. Than copyed the terrains from the old install over , everything is working fine except the Hawk Sam's don't show up anywhere. extracted types.ini from the cat, added the hawk's and still no hawk sams. Any of you encountered the same problem ? The Adats and Stingers work fine, but the Hawk doesn't show up on any of the terrains.

Did a clean install and patch. Than copyed the terrains from the old install over , everything is working fine except the Hawk Sam's don't show up anywhere. extracted types.ini from the cat, added the hawk's and still no hawk sams. Any of you encountered the same problem ? The Adats and Stingers work fine, but the Hawk doesn't show up on any of the terrains.

Did you add the Hawk battery locations & layout to the targets.ini? They are fixed SAMs, like the default SA-2 and SA-6.

I think that I have only ever once seen Hawk Sams in either WOE or WOI!

(And yes I have installed them and checked all the files)

yes, updated the target ini and still no luck. They worke fine in my other install. I'm puzzled. I'm thinking of renaming them static_AAA and see if they apear on the map

They seem to work fine for me.

gallery_279_43_76221.jpg

Has anyone noticed that the A-4's seem to be more twitchy on the ground and like to lean left or right very easily?

Has anyone noticed that the A-4's seem to be more twitchy on the ground and like to lean left or right very easily?

Yeah the stock ones in WOI are very bouncy on the ground - a bit more interesting - kinda like it myself - check it out when you slam breaks too :)

Anyone having AI pulling some pretty amazing stuff? I'm not talking good things but a bit annoying stuff...

I've been playing all modern lately(90's+) and what AI does in modern missile combat is pretty darn ridiculous...

Well my biggest issues is weapon effectiveness, for example my AIM120C AI avoids by a mild jink and some chaff popping, his R-27 hit's me in a high angle 9G manouver with chaffs trail following me through the sky. I even created a separate missile set for my self and separate for AI which was dumbed down to like 60's-70's effectiveness - I still just barely survive :O

They can also operate radars better than the player, just today a MiG-23M locked and fired on me from 30Km, and even though I pulled G's that could harm a pilot IRL(~12G's), I didn't manage to avoid a freakin R-40R in my F-18A. All that tried flying Red in-game know that R-40 is usually just a notch more deadly payload than a fuel tank lol

Also if my flight is outnumbered, AI nearly exlusively concentrates fire on me,today 23 AIM-7's were fired on me, only 2 on my wingman. All that and my AI is set on normal...

I thik a major re-install is in order, something went nuts with this one lol

Well my biggest issues is weapon effectiveness, for example my AIM120C AI avoids by a mild jink and some chaff popping, his R-27 hit's me in a high angle 9G manouver with chaffs trail following me through the sky. I even created a separate missile set for my self and separate for AI which was dumbed down to like 60's-70's effectiveness - I still just barely survive :O

They can also operate radars better than the player, just today a MiG-23M locked and fired on me from 30Km, and even though I pulled G's that could harm a pilot IRL(~12G's), I didn't manage to avoid a freakin R-40R in my F-18A. All that tried flying Red in-game know that R-40 is usually just a notch more deadly payload than a fuel tank lol

Also if my flight is outnumbered, AI nearly exlusively concentrates fire on me,today 23 AIM-7's were fired on me, only 2 on my wingman. All that and my AI is set on normal...

Well Brain, you do like being the center of attention. :biggrin: I love the AI in this it is more lethal than it ever has been. You work for a kill now.

They honour the threat now-even in a high speed chase they will suddenly jink or dive to break your guns solution.

Guest pfunkmusik

I kinda hafta agree a little with Brain here, because I've seen the AI pull some fast ones that simply don't seem 'right'.

But, I really appreciate the work that's gone into making the AI a little more of a challenge.

pfunk

Thats an odd engagement but perfectly believable...I bet you'll are flying with your radar on all the time.Ive noticed when you paint a bandit his wingman will come get you.

What kind of odd behavior? I have seen them be really aggressive and you might have been bushwhacked by an ace pilot too. But I haven't seen anything weird. I think we got so used to dumb ass AI, now that is has been cranked up a notch or 2 we are having a hard time compensating. We will overcome though.

In regards to the HAWK issues stated above, YES they MUST be placed via edits of the targets & types ini.

For those just joining us, you'll find 2 (count them!) 2 whole terrain upgrades for WoI here in the downloads section, under -oddly enough, /Terrains.

One is for Gepard's "Isreal2" map

The other is the stock "IsrealME" map

Major upgrades on the IDF's air defenses for BOTH maps (and some 'improvements' on the Arab side, too. :haha: )

I should know...I did them both.

And yes, the most certainly shoot at you!!!

Now, in regards to the HAWKs, the new TMF weapons pak =FOR WOI ONLY= has 3 or 4 new HAWK missiles and their associated launchers (various models B,C,D & E methinks).

Which means, in the short term, if using their pack, you'll probalby loose them after the the 'base models' end of service years.

In the long term, it means a few hours in-game and in the inis for me to swap out the various names I used at the myriad missile batteries I placed around the map. Expect that upgrade sometime next week; probably near the end of the week, depending on what other projects I'm involved with (like 3 airplane upgrades I've been asked to check over/tweek)

Wrench

kevin stein

What kind of odd behavior? I have seen them be really aggressive and you might have been bushwhacked by an ace pilot too. But I haven't seen anything weird. I think we got so used to dumb ass AI, now that is has been cranked up a notch or 2 we are having a hard time compensating. We will overcome though.

Yeah that's probably it, although with the amount of weapons modding I did after patches arrived, I think something might had went wrong and I didn't notice. Then again maybe you are completely right, things got more realistic actually and it's time for me to mod the distance to objective in singlemission.ini and start to really use BVR capatibilites as they would do IRL. No more VVR dancing with two flights of Archer armed Flankers for my Eagle.

I'll always have WoV for some close-in Crusader action :minigun:

Yeah that's probably it, although with the amount of weapons modding I did after patches arrived, I think something might had went wrong and I didn't notice. Then again maybe you are completely right, things got more realistic actually and it's time for me to mod the distance to objective in singlemission.ini and start to really use BVR capatibilites as they would do IRL. No more VVR dancing with two flights of Archer armed Flankers for my Eagle.

I'll always have WoV for some close-in Crusader action :minigun:

From what ive seen the AIs main fault is down low where they dont seem to have much confidence - other than that its all good - have seen hit and run slashing tactics too from MiG-23/21s - and you cant catch them - previously it would have continued in a straight line doing about 200kts :)

Not sure about RL but in Falcon 4 AF consider yourself dead if you let something get within about 10 miles of you with an R-77 - all you can do is pray the missile was made on a Friday afternoon!

I am totally lovin the new AI its a whole new world and the dogfights are kicka**. You are definatly right about the reduced missile effectiveness, that does suck... however the missiles seem alot more reliable than they were with the original wings over isreal release :good: and that is much appriciated. I have heard that LGB performance has been reduced as well. Probably only a matter of time until someone figgures out how to mod a way around these weapons issues.

Guest pfunkmusik
I think we got so used to dumb ass AI, now that is has been cranked up a notch or 2 we are having a hard time compensating.

Could be a little of that, too.

pfunk

I have heard that LGB performance has been reduced as well. Probably only a matter of time until someone figgures out how to mod a way around these weapons issues.

Actually, the thing I've heard about LGB performance is that now it's more accurate. It now takes TIME for the cursor to 'lock' onto the target...and the release 'basket' is now a lot 'tighter'.

It used to be you could 'select and pickle'...now you have to take your time...leaving yourself vulnerable to attack. I like it!

FastCargo

Hi, guys. i tried the advice above and the controls are still warped. tried renaming and the readme but no go. I just dont want to have to do a clean install over again as it is time consuming. the only orb I have is just the controls, everything else works fine. When i did the patches, I didwhat someone mentioned in knowledgebase which was to take the WOV and WOE app exe and copy into a empty folder and run the patch which shows all the folders and files. The I install manually. I have done this for each update released by TW with no probs. Just this one for some reason. Also, when I check the controls in the game, the autoplit tab is lsited as A all the time yet I have to change the other controls. Is there another way to fix? thx.

I would like to add also, that when I executed the patch to a safe place folder with the WOV exe and WOE respectivley, Ilooked into the folder controls and put the new default ini into the modded controls folder and overwrote the old one. It just seems like it wont save the new mappings or wont let you map new controls. i realize the beneftis of a clean install but I have done this with every thirdwire patch and someone did mention this method in the knowledgebase.

I did find from the knowledge base so this is how i installed patches.:

Procedure 2

(Author: Spook 27)

I do this with SFP1/WoV and IL2FB/AEP/PF and LOMAC and FS9 - Make a Spare empty folder next to your Original Sim and name it accordingly eg: Wings Over Vietnam_Shunt and put into it a copy of your WoV.exe (or whatever else it is your are patching).

When you execute the patch direct the install to the spare empty folder. The patch will see the correct .exe and then create all subfolders and add the new files. You can then examine the files that are added and see where they all go. You are free to drag 'em individually across to the real sim folder and see what it is that the new files replace, giving you the choice of what to use.

It may be stating the obvious, but I would never let anything get directly at my highly modified Sims, all of which are many Gigs in size, too big to back up without another PC! As indicated this works for all of the above.

Edited by dsawan

Are you having issue with your old control.ini, meainng are you trying to use an old one?