Sign in to follow this  
Alexander51

Spectacular fireball lights up the night

MrCraig:

I moved this to "The Pub" so more folks can find.

Thinking about what WILL happen during the next Impact Event, is most frieghtening....

Of course, we have near misses daily...

Wrench

kevin stein

Impressive video. I saw something like that about 8 years ago with a few of my friends. The night sky lit up a bit bluish and we looked up; for a part of a second it looked almost like a firework. Saw that sucker just keep going and was half thinking "wow, its been a short life!" Ended up burning up completely as it traveled into the far horizon, but man, was that an eerie feeling!

I was driving home and just caught a glimpse of it. I thought kids were setting off fireworks or something.

I saw something like this about a week ago outside of my room on base while i was talking to my folks on my cell phone. Big, green, and bright as hell. It exploded just prior to passing over the mountains and kept on going.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I was driving home and just caught a glimpse of it. I thought kids were

setting off fireworks or something. "

------------------------------------------

That's amazing that you were in the right spot to catch a glimpse of it. I have

seen many meteors over the years, but nothing as intense and prolonged

as this one! I have seen a few explode after they had penetrated into the

lower atmosphere. Even so, these events were still very brief ones compared

to this.

Edited by MrCraig41

Eh, I'm not terribly worried about an impact having as devastating an effect as all the discovery channel shows make it out to be. We've been hit since humanity has been around and guess what? we're still here! And in the old days, we didn't quite have the resources we have now. Sticks and fire only go so far.

Besides, we took our statistical 1 every hundred thousand years hit a hundred years ago. A meteor or comet came crashing down over siberia (tunguska) It blew up before hitting the ground and the effect was similar to a nuclear explosion.

If it hit (or another) my bet would be serious earthquakes and huge tsunami or ash getting thrown up like Mt. St. Helens or Santorini back in ancient times. Devastating, yes, but not this "oh noes everything will go extinct like the dinosaurs!" nuclear winter-esque stuff.

That's amazing that you were in the right spot to catch a glimpse of it.

Nah, not so much...from the sounds of it the event was seen over most of Alberta and Saskatchewan.

But what about the eels. Those are the main concern out of all of this.

Hey...I'm ALWAYS concerned about the eels.

Eh, I'm not terribly worried about an impact having as devastating an effect as all the discovery channel shows make it out to be. We've been hit since humanity has been around and guess what? we're still here! And in the old days, we didn't quite have the resources we have now. Sticks and fire only go so far.

Besides, we took our statistical 1 every hundred thousand years hit a hundred years ago. A meteor or comet came crashing down over siberia (tunguska) It blew up before hitting the ground and the effect was similar to a nuclear explosion.

If it hit (or another) my bet would be serious earthquakes and huge tsunami or ash getting thrown up like Mt. St. Helens or Santorini back in ancient times. Devastating, yes, but not this "oh noes everything will go extinct like the dinosaurs!" nuclear winter-esque stuff.

Extinction perhaps not, but imagine the outcome should such a Tungusta-like event take place near, or worse, over a heavily populated area...

Never seen one light up the sky like that, that seemed to put out more light than full moon.

this video comment made my day...

macandcheese33:: "....its just that tool bag dropped by that lady astronaut in space last week."

it was aliens man...bet there were like 14 people saying they were abducted by aliens by the next week...freaks...

it was aliens man...bet there were like 14 people saying they were abducted by aliens by the next week...freaks...

“No one would have believed in the first years of the twenty first century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man’s and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.”

With apologies to H G Wells

A group of Marines were standing in the pre-morning dark in PT gear on a little archipelago in the Indian Ocean called Diego Garcia when a flash of light lit the sky above our heads like a huge flash bulb lasting almost a whole second. I looked up to see a short luminescent streak directly above us where the meteor had burnt itself up. Leaving me with a strange feeling afterward that I still remember like it was yesterday. It happened twenty plus years ago. I would postulate that there are many Tunguska like events as well as geological ones that happen over bodies of water which cover over three quarters of the Earth's surface. That these may have resulted in some of the freak waves that sometime hit and sink seafaring craft.

Meteor over Denver:

IIRC, there was a near-event in the 70s in the SW US where a large fireball streaked across the sky but then left. It apparently skipped on the atmosphere and kept going. From footage taken it was estimated that had it impacted it would have been larger than the Tunguska event.

Besides, the once-in-100,000 yrs events aren't the ones to worry about.

Rather we should worry that around every 65 million years, almost like clock work, the Earth has experienced a mass extinction event, several of which have been linked to meteor impacts. Did we mention the last one was 65 million years ago??

Let's just hope someone was testing the TSR.2 in the Great White North. :rolleyes:

Its the eels man, they are coming.