Sign in to follow this  
krgf15

Remember Pearl Harbor

67 years today, my Great Uncle was stationed aboard the USS Oklahoma at Pearl Harbor.

Lucky for my family, he was not aboard at the time. He was in the brig on shore. Thats abother story. He passed away about 3 years ago.

God rest their souls. :salute:

I've been to Pearl several times. So many names on the wall of the dead...................I purchased a flag that was flown over the Arizona, it's in a shadow box on my wall with the certificate. I'll never forget.

S!

My family will always remember. I've only been to Pearl Harbor once,in 1996, but stayed on Ford Island for 30 days. In that time my shipmates and I got a good long look at the base. The scars are still there, you just have to look a lot harder nowadays.

<S>

A serious day for Americans and us that have or currently wear the US Navy uniform. Yah, our fine brothers in the Army and Marine Corps had a bad day too. My grandfather enlisted in the cavalry to go to Hawaii or the Phillipines. Fortunatly they sent him to Oklahoma. But then again if they sent him west he would of re enlisted and would of been the toughest thing the Japanese ever messed with in the Phillipines. I only have 1 relative who was in the PTO campaign. My great uncle Harey, US Navy. His swimming skills were so fine tuned that his only hope for survival in a salt water environment was to sink as fast as he could and run like hell for the beach. I saw this with my own eyes. Uncle Harey drinks 2 Margeritas. Decides its time to cool off, dives into the deep end of the pool and then walks to the shallow end to breeth and get his 3rd Marg. He was on the Gambrier Bay when it got bounced by Japanese Cruisers and sunk. He was decorated for saving gobs of shipmates with previously undesplayed and never seen again swimming skills.

Men like this and better where there.

Edited by charlielima

<S>

I visited Pearl Harbor years ago and even managed to meet

a veteran who was on the Arizona during this epochal moment

in history.

<S>