Sign in to follow this  
Dave

B-1B Lancer AKA "The Bone"

Minuteman silos less than 5 miles from the house.

I may or may not have spent my after prom next to a Minuteman silo around Minot AFB, or was it a LCF? It was something of the sort. I don't remember, and I didn't have MIRVs on my mind either.

Twin warheads are MIRV's, aren't they?

:biggrin:

Good old Whynot Minot! I've heard the stories. Was never a SAC trined bunny, did TAC my whole 14 years, but that beautiful bone with the Digi-camo Dave

posted made me puke a little in my mouth...

I've always heard bad things about Minot from Air Force guys. I heard it was negative 44 degrees Fahrenheit there the other day. That would not be something I would want to deal with.

I've always heard bad things about Minot from Air Force guys. I heard it was negative 44 degrees Fahrenheit there the other day. That would not be something I would want to deal with.

Honestly, of all the places I lived, it was the worst BUT the best, granted I never had to work on a flightline there in the winter. I went to High School there for pretty much the entire time I was in HS, formed a pretty tight bond with the people there, the other AF Brats, the town kids hated us so that bonded us more. But going to school from the base to the town in the winter (about 20 miles) was awful, I don't know how many times I almost ended up in the ditch driving to school.

It was also fun when you would inform teachers of how Minot was a major nuclear target, and they would be in shock, and didn't know why anyone would want to nuke little 'ol Minot. Then you would have to explain Mutual Assured Destruction to them so they wouldn't freak out anymore.

That was another thing, growing up with a father who's job it is to bring nuclear devastation to the Soviet Union, you learn a lot about nuclear war by default.

Skin looks allright, maybe a Desert MARPAT?

Yeah I am going to try a few different MARPATS.

You and me both.

Strategic Command is SAC's replacement. They even still use the SAC fist.

"Remember to err is human, to forgive is not SAC policy"

Or "Son, you can be there for the birth or the conception, your choice, but not both!"..................

Or "Son, you can be there for the birth or the conception, your choice, but not both!"..................

I have heard that one too. Still one of my favs.

I stated out in ICBM's in SAC 1991-1992 before we went to that OTHER command. It took 6 months before we took our SAC patches off our uniforms. I was born on a SAC base too, raised mostly on SAC bases as well. I'm a member of the SAC Society as well. Got the pleasure of being in training during one of the last ORI's SAC had on a missile base....it sucked.

Gen Lemay.

lemay_01.jpg

Typical Icon of the Cold War era

And here a can of eels are opened.

OMG that is funny.

And this is the kind of things people listen to:

2gv1or4.jpg

In fact, this is THE manual for everything.

Edited by kct

I have not been in the military but I do have an odd relationship with SAC.

I am a big Jimmy Stewart fan and one of my favorite movies since childhood is "Strategic Air Command". (The fact that June Allyson is a real cutie doesn't hurt either.....) The "landing in crappy WX with his arm going out" is STILL a compelling piece of film.

My folks moved to Omaha in the late 60s while SAC was still in it's prime and that and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was what put Omaha on the map for most people. I actually had the honor and priviledge of visiting the command center once.

The local air museum was associated (and located) at Offutt AFB for many, many years but has since been moved to a beautiful facility about 25 miles south of town. (Seriously, if you ever get on I-80 between Lincoln and Omaha you should take a couple of hours to check it out. It has one of the nicest SR-71 displays in the world and one of the few RAF Vulcan bombers in the US.) I actually helped restore the B-17 on display there.

I still attend the annual Offutt Air Show/Open House fairly regularly (maybe every other year these days.)

I have always the greatest admiration for the Officers and Enlisted folks (and THEIR FAMILIES) that work in SAC. A gawd-awful thankless job by all accounts but one that was necessary to keep the rest of us safe.

:salute:

Gen Lemay.

If for some reason I decide to worship a false icon you sure as Sh!t know it will resemble him.I'm sure a lot of heathen commies lost many a nights sleep due to this man. :clapping:

Typical Icon of the Cold War era

Now that's good man! :good::lol:

Ok, just having a bit of fun...after reading some Harry Turtledove.

gallery_28053_226_32534.jpg

THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Maybe sooner than you think if things don't work out for President Osam...Obama. :biggrin::biggrin:

President Hussein of Amerika. :rolleyes:

Nice skin. how is it flying?? :haha:

Dave has not sent it to me for FM yet...

On moon shine. :haha:

Yes Jimmybib has done an amazing job on it.

It's flying basically because the thrust of it's engines is propelling it forward and the aerodynamic qualities of the wings and lower airframe impart lift therefore allowing to it fly...oh and the moonshine helps too ! In fact that's the secret.

It's flying basically because the thrust of it's engines is propelling it forward and the aerodynamic qualities of the wings and lower airframe impart lift therefore allowing to it fly...oh and the moonshine helps too ! In fact that's the secret.

Cheeky! :rofl:

Yes Jimmybib has done an amazing job on it.

FM needs work. I just did the decals jobs. Syrinx and Jimmybib get the skin credits. Dels and FC did everything else.