Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Since we're showing terrain WIPs...

Like the recent Libya re-re-release, the Southern California terrain has gone in for a through rebuild -- and retiling. As it stands now, approx 60-75% of the map has been retiled, and 5-7 new tiles have been created to fill in some gaps in the generic Desert tile set.

Here's a shot over the LA Basin; Palos Verdes is directly under the aircraft, LAX just above the canopy. Burbank is below the cloud in the center - one can see the San Fernando Valley's new green and city/farm look as well...

socal-0.jpg

The north end of San Fransico; no longer do we have that huge water mountain at the Golden Gate...docked ships and one of the new tiles, imported and modificated from WoV...

socal-1.jpg

Mt. Palomar Observatory (and listening post), looking towards San Deigo...

socal-2.jpg

you can see the "Coronado Penninsula" (best that can be done given tile size and map scaling issues -so, no airfield) in the distance. The Hale Telescope Dome is a modified (hex edited and repainted) version of Grampotamus' radar facility.

A lot of target areas have been moved around, renamed, corrected, etc. Just have to finish some fine tuning of the movements ini, and some object placements....so, soon... :biggrin:

Alameda Naval Base has also been completly rebuild, with some ideas 'borrowed' from pfunk's Black Sea previews he showed earlier this week

Wrench

kevin stein

Like the recent Libya re-re-release, the Southern California terrain has gone in for a through rebuild -- and retiling. As it stands now, approx 60-75% of the map has been retiled, and 5-7 new tiles have been created to fill in some gaps in the generic Desert tile set.

Here's a shot over the LA Basin; Palos Verdes is directly under the aircraft, LAX just above the canopy. Burbank is below the cloud in the center - one can see the San Fernando Valley's new green and city/farm look as well...

I can see my house from there. :biggrin:

Great work bro! :good:

Oh, and you should also make the new recent look for the San Gabriels in the Valley.... burned and dusty.

Edited by EricJ

Ah, looking MUCH better'n the original, it looks like you've learned lots!

I just hope the patented Wrench-man signs of silliness still permeate the area.

I love looking around and finding those points of punniness...

:biggrin:

KickA**!!! looking great wrench :salute: Thanks for giving this terrain the attention it deserves.

Well, yeah, all the original Easter Eggs are still there, plus a few new ones.

Although my 'shop' (Wrench's ToolBox Auto Repair) seems to have gone missing under the buildings from the city1.tod...I have to find it and move it...

(whilst testing Red Air strike missions last night, I was tasked to destroy the 'Nelson Institute of Marine Research' in Santa Barbara)

SM Pier is still here, as is a very high value target (ok, call it "payback being a beeoitch") Bay Shore Bowl, where I used to work (and was fired from...bas***ds!!). And World Famous Pink's Hot Dogs. Debating on weither or not to repurpose one of the Factory buildings as Disney Studios in Burbank...and Disneyland itself is missing* Wish I had the Hollywood sign....

The San Juaquin Valley (ie the WHOLE central part of the map) has been retiled -by hand!!- to more replicate farms. Salton Sea added, Colorado River from Lake Powell (?) to Baja, Kern River in Bakersfield, Fresno Air Terminal added, Lake Tahoe, Reno (destroyed) moved more close to it's real life position. Costal valley from Moro Bay to Vandenberg tiled to farms, Lakes Chachuma, Piru, Castic added...oh man!! What a job of work!

Wrench

kevin stein

* how many remember the movie "The 3 Stooges In Orbit", with the heli-sub-tank, stolen by Martians, with a Death Ray ™ being ordered by the Martian High Command to "hit them where it hurts"....flying over Disneyland??? I love move trivia!!

way cool!

I can see some of my old houses and hangars!

:good:

Anybody notice anything different on these desert-farm tiles??

socal-3.jpg

Suffice it to say, there are something like 12-15 NEW tods for this map. Easily usable for any other that takes the stock desert tile set

Wrench

kevin stein

Anybody notice anything different on these desert-farm tiles??

socal-3.jpg

Suffice it to say, there are something like 12-15 NEW tods for this map. Easily usable for any other that takes the stock desert tile set

Wrench

kevin stein

Talking of tods Wrench I have just tried CA`s desert enhancement on libya, Scal, Asw and canary islands. Works really well. you might consider those as well. I am available if you need me. The problem I have is that both in socal and ASW would be nice to have @high raises@ building on city1.bmp

Been thinking about that too....

I haven't run the experiment yet, but it would go something like this....

Create a new "City2.bmp", which is in reality just a copy of City1, renamed. Take Polack's City1.TOD, and rename IT to City2.tod. What I don't know is how the engine will read the bitmap for the skyscrapers, as it would also need renaming, to seperate it from the 'terobjects_buildlings1.bmp' that already exits...so in essence create 3 new files, that'll give us the tall buildings.

Which means having to delete ALL the "large urban modules" I'm using for the city buildings...which means a lot of object placing by hand.

I'll fiddle with that this weekend...it's definately doable

Wrench

kevin stein

BEE AY YOU T FULL :cray:

Guest pfunkmusik

OK, can we get a list of all Terrain WIPs that are currently underway?

Mine:

Black Sea v2.0

Med Sea v1.0

pfunk

Guest pfunkmusik

BTW, Kevin. Love the latest version of Libya.

pfunk

This is really looking great, I was wondering if it is possible to mix tiles and tree types in certain areas of the map... the region between of the santa cruz mountains between Los Gatos and Santacruz is a great example of transition

that fades from from desert sage brush with scattered oaks into a lush canopy of bay trees around springs and drainage's then into thick pine and redwood rain forests for miles and then back to sage country again.

This type of contrast would be great to highlight the vast difference's in terrain found in California.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to Wings Over LA. :biggrin:

Great work Kev.

Apparently, mixing and matching tiles is only limited to the improtation thereof

Meaning..

You'd have to have the texturelist ini (which comes with the terrain editor), the various and sundry tiles -all in bmp format, so all the water-to-whatevers need converting to loose the alpha channel...then they can be added to the ***texture list ini.

In theory, you can have one HUGE ini, with all the tiles from all the game listed, and apply them to the map. Of course, then you'd need all those tiles IN the terrain folder (as I've done with the imported vietnamsc50c.tga), and you're coverd. Editing the terrain's data ini to add which ever tile you use and/or create a terrain specific texturelist ini.

Thank Chuck!!! Hand tiling is a fracking nightmare...I'm so NOT looking forward to doing the Iran/Iraq map. What with Tehren getting moved to its proper location, and the addition of the Caspian Sea.... :crazy: I've guestimaed somewhere around 3-5000 tiles to be replaced in that region alone (goes to the map edge, so I may not acutally need to do all of it). Like to attempt adding some rivers too....but I think I've got things (ie: cities etc) misplaced, so the Tigris/Euphrates pathway is gonna be totally unrealistic.

Large Cities, for Canadair:

socal-4.jpg

Just a quicky shot, as I screwed up and forgot to rename Polak's city1.tod. You can see part of the 'large urban module' at the left.

It's actually very easy....did it just like I said above, but since Polaks city1.tod uses a slight different named bmp for the buildings, there is no conflict!

--------------------------------

So, terrain WIPs:

SoCal

Iran/Irag

Marianas Islands (Central Pacific)

Hawaii

Solomon Islands (waiting for Deuces for some tropical trees)

American SouthWest -- a big maybe as that one too, need almost total retiling.....

EAW Euro (Modern) 4 Season rebuild -in either Brain32 or CA_Stary's hands, I disremember which! -- has tile issues, and we don't have the texturelist ini, so don't expect that for soooomme time come.

Korea (1950-???)

Wrench

kevin Stein

Looks very nice Wrench!

There are high scrappers (not that high, given they were made for 60's-80's Europe) introduced on city tiles in my Germany tod mods, can be easily renamed to use with desert tileset:

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=17125

EDIT:

@Wrench: EAW Euro (Modern) 4 Season rebuild is in my hands, but there's not much that can be done with it now

Edited by CA_Stary

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to Wings Over LA. :biggrin:

Great work Kev.

It would give a new meaning to the term "drive-by shooting". As I live in Bakersfield I wonder what kind of air defense is going to be implemented. Most likely a couple of rednecks with shotguns north of the Kern River and some Homeboys with Saturday night specials on the Eastside where I live. :blink:

It would give a new meaning to the term "drive-by shooting". As I live in Bakersfield I wonder what kind of air defense is going to be implemented. Most likely a couple of rednecks with shotguns north of the Kern River and some Homeboys with Saturday night specials on the Eastside where I live. :blink:

At least your city is represented, in the OTC terrain, my city (Tampa) is just jungle! :biggrin::biggrin:

Definitely alot better than the original, which I fly on occasion, but this... nice!

OK, can we get a list of all Terrain WIPs that are currently underway?

Mine:

Black Sea v2.0

Med Sea v1.0

pfunk

Sure:

Balkans v0.80

Gepards Afganistan terrain repaint only

And many, many plans lol

CA: thats' a great shot!!! It could almost pass for a view (in Real Life ™ ) of downtown LA looking northwest from the I-5 freeway a few miles below where it meets the I-10 in east LA. The buildings on the left could be Century City!!

firehawkordy: Bakersfield gets one of my patent-pending "Air Defense Sites",with multiple SAM launchers and various AAA. The airport it not quite positioned where it really is, but I've got a bunch of drilling rigs about where Oildale would be.

(the wife has family -aunts/cousins/neices/nephews/etc- up there, so we used to know the area pretty well. Plus, they used to have the State Bowling tournments there every other year or so.)

Still have to farm-ize (terraform???) the Imperial Valley -- was rereading 'Lucifer's Hammer' last week, so figured I'd add the farms in down there

The really odd thing about California, is there's really 3 or 4 different Californias ... you can divide the state in quaters roughly about Monterey Bay. Most everything north & west of that is Pacific NorthWest rainforest; redwoods and other conifers, to the south a more 'Mediteranian' (sp) climate (in particular from LA to San Deigo). To the south east, deserts/mountains and some farm. North east is still some desert, with farming in the central valley, to the Sierra Nevada mountains.

This is a very generalized description, of course, but you get the idea. I've kept it to basically 3 zones, coastal mountain/farms, central farms/desert, desert/mountains. Simplifies things a great deal. I don't think the Big Guy will mind too much of me taking some of His job for bit :wink: . Guvanator Schwartzenegger on the other hand.... :haha:

Wrench

kevin stein

You guys want me to create a sticky for "Works In Progress?"

I'd say do it, would help get a read on what to look forward to :smile:

CA: thats' a great shot!!! It could almost pass for a view (in Real Life ™ ) of downtown LA looking northwest from the I-5 freeway a few miles below where it meets the I-10 in east LA. The buildings on the left could be Century City!!

firehawkordy: Bakersfield gets one of my patent-pending "Air Defense Sites",with multiple SAM launchers and various AAA. The airport it not quite positioned where it really is, but I've got a bunch of drilling rigs about where Oildale would be.

(the wife has family -aunts/cousins/neices/nephews/etc- up there, so we used to know the area pretty well. Plus, they used to have the State Bowling tournments there every other year or so.)

Still have to farm-ize (terraform???) the Imperial Valley -- was rereading 'Lucifer's Hammer' last week, so figured I'd add the farms in down there

The really odd thing about California, is there's really 3 or 4 different Californias ... you can divide the state in quaters roughly about Monterey Bay. Most everything north & west of that is Pacific NorthWest rainforest; redwoods and other conifers, to the south a more 'Mediteranian' (sp) climate (in particular from LA to San Deigo). To the south east, deserts/mountains and some farm. North east is still some desert, with farming in the central valley, to the Sierra Nevada mountains.

This is a very generalized description, of course, but you get the idea. I've kept it to basically 3 zones, coastal mountain/farms, central farms/desert, desert/mountains. Simplifies things a great deal. I don't think the Big Guy will mind too much of me taking some of His job for bit :wink: . Guvanator Schwartzenegger on the other hand.... :haha:

Wrench

kevin stein

You guys want me to create a sticky for "Works In Progress?"

hey wrench, please tell me u put MCB Camp Pendleton on there: :biggrin:

Yes. How could I NOT put it in???? :dntknw:

It was "Mission Bay USMC Base", which was postioned WRONG

even now, with the coastline and scaling issues it's still not in the right place, probably too close to the sea, but I HOPE it's closer to it's Real Life ™ position. I hope. I've only driven by it a few dozen times in life ... :biggrin: Unfortunately, it's a rather 'generic' base layout -- so it definately WON'T match what you and the rest of The Green Machine are used to seeing.

The defense unit (ie: arty center south of the Sandy Yago has been renamed to "Fort Coronado", and now has working arty batteries, since it just happens to be on the main line of advance northwards from TJ by GS forces....

Wrench

kevin stein

Just for giggles...I went back into ASW last night (ie: I was up to almost 4 AM this morning) and fiddled with some tiles...

asw-0.jpg

asw-1.jpg

This is the Huston/Galveston/Texas City region. Please ingore the beached tankers near the X ... as per usual with retiling and HM adjutments, target areas near the coastlines get all screwed up

In the distance you can see what looks like the grass in the foregournd, but I assure you it's a new "Prarie" tile, based off the Farm1, with lots of little trees and buildings and HAWK batteries... :rofl:

Again, this one's gonna be a tremendous nightmare, as it uses 10 of thousands of Mountain and Desert tiles that'll need replacing. To say nothing of rearranging the target areas....

Wrench

kevin stein