Sign in to follow this  
Typhoid

Cat3 IFR landing

This will get your pucker factor up a notch or two!!

Damn! You have to love modern avionics.

Holy Sh**,Typhoid:

And I thought 200 and a half was tight back when I was Flying. :blink:

Extreme A** chewing hole in seat on this one!!

thats what its like driving in the woods here in the morning time.

You have to love AutoLand. FC couldn't live without it. Avionics are great......but once your on the ground...it can be even more of a nightmare.

imagine doing that on a carrier!!

:wink:

FC,if you've been there done that,you certainly earned your paycheck that day.

Typhoid,they were experimenting with autoland (RA-5C's)on the boats just before I got out.

The only problem they were having was getting the pilot to leave the controls alone long enough for the damned thing to work.

I certainly can't blame the pilots. The biggest pucker factor in Naval Aviation is going aboard the boat.

The Naval Medicine guy's put sensors on some pilots,RIO's and BN's during Linebacker I.

The stress was almost twice as high going aboard the boat than getting shot at in combat.

But,that's what makes us NAVAL AVIATORS!! :good:

No offense to you Air Force pilots,you earned your paycheck the hard way,also. :yes:

Edited by ezlead

I cant see anything!

Yeah, now imagine how that pilot felt.

Typhoid,they were experimenting with autoland (RA-5C's)on the boats just before I got out.

The only problem they were having was getting the pilot to leave the controls alone long enough for the damned thing to work.

I certainly can't blame the pilots. The biggest pucker factor in Naval Aviation is going aboard the boat.

The Naval Medicine guy's put sensors on some pilots,RIO's and BN's during Linebacker I.

The stress was almost twice as high going aboard the boat than getting shot at in combat.

No offense to you Air Force pilots,you earned your paycheck the hard way,also. :yes:

Well, for most operators of CAT III capable aircraft, autoland is mandatory when conditions get that low (there are exceptions...Southwest Airlines actually can do manual CatIIIs because they have a HUD). The autopilot controls the throttles and flight controls and flies the whole thing down, including the flare, touchdown, and rollout. The pilots are basically monitoring the system to make sure it is working as designed.

Our Airbuses are rated to 600 RVR (basically, no ceiling, vis is 600 feet) with a 100 feet alert height. However, our MD11s are rated to 300 RVR, with a 50 foot alert height. In either case, you do NOT have to see to land (again, exception for SWA). Also, realize that in the MD11, at 50 feet, you're basically in the flare!

In either case...it's kind of spooky!

FC

Spooky my A**,It's down right SCARY.

My hat's off to you guys that do that for a living.

Definition of Aviation: hours and hours of sheer boredom,interspersed with moments of stark terror.

Spooky my A**,It's down right SCARY.

My hat's off to you guys that do that for a living.

Definition of Aviation: hours and hours of sheer boredom,interspersed with moments of stark terror.

I used to do a lot of CAT II (100 ft DH, 350 mt RVR), and it is freaky enough. CAT III must be even worse

I maintain CAT II systems and we may be getting a CAT III aircraft. However, it has EFVS HUD and like the SWA aircraft....you can see just fine...

Most of our aircraft are CAT I and we have opspecs that will allow us to fly 900 RVR, with an additional 100 feet if we can see lights at 900.

yep. The Hornets had been certified by the time I came ashore.

They tried doing that with the E-2, but the radar of the ACLS had a tendency to lock onto the dome rather than the aircraft which would tend to drive us into the round-down.....

so we had a special beacon to correct that, but they would only certify us for Cat II and manual.

I do recall some pretty hairy moments in the North Pacific without any diverts.